The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2015, 07:43 PM   #1
zanemoseley

Help needed for Hornady LNL AP accessories.

I think I've decided to go with the lnl AP press. I'll be loading 45acp only to start but would like to set it up to easily change calibers. Here's what I've picked out, I want to make sure I'm not missing anything or picking incompatible stuff.

Inline ultrastand
Inline short ergo roller handle
Rcbs lockout die
Hornady .451 ptx expander
Hornady quick change powder die
#45 shell plate.

So I need both the ptx expander and quick change powder die right. So this will let me buy additional ptx and qc dies to change caliber using the same powder measure without setting up the expanding depth again right?

Also I already have a set of dillon 45acp dies.
Old January 28, 2015, 07:55 PM   #2
AKhog

I just use the expander that came with the Hornady 45 die set. I don't expand at this time with the powder station. I also use the Hornady COP die to check powder levels.
Old January 28, 2015, 08:16 PM   #3
zanemoseley

Well I have a lyman expander I use to expand 45 shells on my rock chucker but the dillon die set has a separate seat and crimp die. So if I want to use a powder lock out I have to expand when I drop powder.
Old January 28, 2015, 11:55 PM   #4
bbqncigars

I would get some additional metering assemblies to dedicate to particular loads. Or just buy one each of the handgun and rifle micrometer versions and record the various settings. I also like how handy the powder drain insert is when switching powders. Oh, and buy a pack each of LNL die bushings and lock rings. Trust me, you'll end up using them.
Old January 29, 2015, 12:20 AM   #5
burrhead

As bbqncigars said, buy more bushings. Also, I used a powder cop at first but came to the realization I was much more comfortable actually putting my eye on the powder level instead. Just go at a pace where you can look in EACH and EVERY CASE. That way you can add a bullet feeder die, which is much more useful. You don't need the collator, just use the tubes.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old January 29, 2015, 08:15 PM   #6
zanemoseley

Well I just ordered all the stuff listed above as well as a lock n load conversion for my rock chucker as well as another 10 pack of bushings.
Old January 30, 2015, 12:50 PM   #7
msokad

I tried the powder cop and wasn't thrilled with it since it's one more thing to watch. I suggest the RCBS lockout die. Once you set-up the die, it stops the press from a full range of motion on double charge or no charge.
Old January 30, 2015, 03:48 PM   #8
schmellba99

For me, these are the best things I added:

1. Inline Fabrications LED light kit. You will love how much light this puts over the shell plate. I don't want to think about the days before I got it to be honest.

2. Bushings - you always need more bushings.

3. Primer pickup tubes - I got 5 for each size of primer. Start off a session loading up the tubes so that I don't have to stop every 100 rounds. Makes loading up 200-500 rounds significantly easier, because once I get in the groove I like not having to stop for long periods.

4. Micrometer inserts for your powder drop rotors. Some folks go with extra of the standard inserts preset for each caliber, but I like the micrometer inserts. Gives me easy adjustment if I need to alter a charge or if a new batch of powder throws just a smidge different than the previous.

5. Powder drop dies that you can preset for each of the calibers you load for. Makes switching calibers significantly easier. One day I want to just have different powder drops set up for the major calibers, but that's a ways off yet still.