The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old September 23, 2012, 07:44 AM   #1
damaestro119

Gun Board Meeting, Michigan

On October 12th, I am scheduled to go before the gun board in Macomb County, Michigan. Everything is set and I see no reason why I will not be issued my CPL, but there is one question.

Back in 1994, just after graduating high school, I was pulled over with a car full of friends in which there were open alcohol containers in the car. I was not drinking from any, and I ended up getting a "transporting open intox" ticket. It was classified as a misdemeanor, and the fine was $75 because I had to go to court about 1 1/2 months later for it since it was mandatory to show up. Being young, I did not know that I had to pay the fine right then and there, since nobody could tell me how much it would be. So when I did not have the money, I was moved to the police station and placed in a holding cell until my mother was able to show up with the money. I spent nearly 3 hours detained.

My question is, if I am asked if I have ever been arrested, would I have to say "yes?" I was not arrested off the streets, and I would not have been taken to jail if I had the $75 to pay the fine on me at court. So I think I would be able to answer "no?"

You are all probably more knowledgeable, so I will wait and see what you all say! Thanks!
Old September 23, 2012, 07:50 AM   #2
Skadoosh

I would guess that the board will have your record in front them already. I would answer yes, and let them ask you to explain.
Old September 23, 2012, 08:20 AM   #3
MLeake

I would hire a Michigan attorney and get his professional opinion. Internet forums are bad places to get legal advice, if only be ause it is too easy for people to make statements they might regret in court.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Mleake summed it up perfectly. We don't know the whole situation. More to the point, someone giving you advice might be a lawyer, or they might be someone simply offering an unfounded opinion.

When it comes to matters of this gravity, you really do need to seek professional input.
Closed Thread