The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2005, 05:05 PM   #1
Thx1138

Q About powder charges

This may sound simple but I was wondering how do they have different number of grains of powder for the same cartridge. For example if a round has normally 150 gr. how do they reduce the grains of powder? How can they have a gap in the catridge?

Last edited by Thx1138; September 23, 2005 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Explaining question more
Old September 23, 2005, 05:18 PM   #2
Zak Smith

Still have no idea what you're asking.

Very few rifle cartridges use more than 100gr powder.

Read the introduction of any reloading manual for background info.
Old September 23, 2005, 05:27 PM   #3
HS

Ummm, I dont chastise people at all but this should be in the Reloading section.

There can be a significant air gap with no ill affect, heck if u shake it n it sounds like a pinyata its still ok.
Basically the heavier projectile offers more resistance & creates a higher back pressure that in turn uses less powder to get it out.

But if you want it to have more velocity you dont reduce the charge.
Simple eh?
BUT if the charge is too big for the heavier projectile....BOOM - Gun go by byes

Unfortunately everyone has an opinion [q] ME [/q]
"The Gun from Down Under !"
Gordon Cross Brisbane Australia
[email protected]
ICQ # 68806935
Old September 23, 2005, 07:28 PM   #4
LHB1

THX1138,
In MOST rifle and pistol cartridges, the powder does NOT fully fill the case under the bullet. Limiting factor for amount of powder in a given case with a specific bullet is MAX PRESSURE WHEN FIRED, NOT WHETHER THE CASE IS FULL OF POWDER. You adjust the amount of powder up with lighter bullets and down with heavier bullets to keep the max pressure below a given max for that gun/cartridge combo. The fact that the powder may not fill the case is not critical unless the load is GREATLY reduced with some slow burning powders.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old September 23, 2005, 09:35 PM   #5
Ozzieman

All good words here and to add

One other reasion that you wont want very low charges is that the powder may not make contact with the primer hole or be forward toward the bullet and the primer will flash across the powder and you can get poor ignition.
Actualy compressed loads in pistol cases can be dangerious and should never be done.
Old September 23, 2005, 10:22 PM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

LHB1, different powders have differnet burn rates. Faster burning powders produce a peak pressure sooner than the slower ones. Lots of variables to take into account. That's part of what makes handloading such an interesting hobby/pastime.

HS, yes. This should be in the Handloading forum.

edited to add: Moved
Old September 23, 2005, 11:29 PM   #7
Dave R

THX, when you say 150 grains, are you talking about bullet weight, or powder charge? As previosuly mentioned, 100 grains is a HUGE powder charge. My .308 uses 150gr bullets, but only 46gr of powder (H335), and that's a max published load in one book.

When moving to a heavier bullet--like a 180gr. in a .308--you can't use as much powder. The increased inertia of the heavier bullet, and the increased bearing surface and drag (in some cases) means a higher level of pressure for the same amount of powder. If that doesn't make sense, read a reloading manual that explains it better than I can when my brain is tired.
Old September 24, 2005, 08:13 AM   #8
m0ntels

Blackpowder loads I believe need to be seated with the bullet in slight contact with the powder level, smokeless does not. I think it has something to do with how blackpowder explodes and smokeless just burns, but I dont have any real blackpowder experience to give any more info than that. If you shake a smokeless cartirdge, it will probably rattle from the air space left in there.

Randy