The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 1, 2013, 03:56 PM   #1
s2thalayer

Lost pretty much everything imporant in my wallet

Today I looked in my wallet and realized that the corner somehow got a hole in it and everything in that section had fallen out. I breathed a sigh of relief to discover my debit/credit/savings/etc cards were not in that section. Then was immediately struck with horror when I realized my C&R, CCW, Social security card, voter card, and insurance cards were all gone.

I have no idea where they are, have done a few frantic searches around the house and found nothing.

I'm aware that I should worry about identity theft. But here is my question, they have no picture ID if someone did take them...so should I worry about my C&R or CCW? I realize I can get replacements. I'm just worried about other people using my stuff.
Old March 1, 2013, 04:15 PM   #2
southjk

Wow, that sucks. A little paper work and you can get them all replaced easily enough I think. You may want to investigate a credit monitoring company to keep an eye on your credit for awhile. I can't vouch for any but protectmyid.com was provided to me free of charge for a year after a breach at a company I do business with and are a reputable company. I hope when they fell out they just got swept into the trash and no one with criminal intent found them.

Last edited by southjk; March 1, 2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: i kent spel
Old March 1, 2013, 04:37 PM   #3
s2thalayer

Yeah, like I told my wife, if i knew they were in a landfill somewhere, I'd be fine. They're just paper. They can be replaced. And the more I think about it, I think the social security card is a copy.

I'm just hoping no one gets any ideas and tries to use my C&R for anything, which I don't think it's any good without the actual "certificate" part of it...and without photo ID.

I don't have any credit cards, just a debit, so I wouldn't think it would be hard for the bank to keep an eye out for any new accounts or anything. I'll ask around for that.
Old March 1, 2013, 08:22 PM   #4
BGutzman

I would suggest that you never carry you Social Security card unless you are applying for a job or need it for some official thing.... Its just too dangerous to loose.... Sorry...
Old March 2, 2013, 08:16 AM   #5
s2thalayer

Yeah...I forget why I had it. I didn't even know I had it with me until last week or something when I just happened to be going through everything. Turns out it was in fact just a copy, but still, can't remember why I had it.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Armorer-at-Law

Given the amount of data lost (address, birthdate, SSN, photo, debit card), I would seriously consider some identity theft insurance/protection (i.e., LifeLock or similar).
Old March 4, 2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Patriot86

Ouch don't keep that SS card in there!
My sister in law had hers stolen with her purse, a day later someone was trying to take our a loan to buy an RV using her identity!
Old March 5, 2013, 04:46 PM   #8
orangello

I have found it more convenient to carry insurance cards, social insecurity cards, bank info cards, and such only as images on my iphone. Might not want to back that phone up to a cloud account or shared computer though.

My chiropractor indicated that a thinner wallet will be less back taxing.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:00 PM   #9
JimDandy

Quote:
My sister in law had hers stolen with her purse, a day later someone was trying to take our a loan to buy an RV using her identity!
I realize dumb criminal stories are popular and plentiful, but an RV? With a license plate, tabs mailed to your address, and everything? Might as well wear a T-shirt with "Hi, I'd like to make it easy to arrest me" on it.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Patriot86

Quote:
I realize dumb criminal stories are popular and plentiful, but an RV? With a license plate, tabs mailed to your address, and everything? Might as well wear a T-shirt with "Hi, I'd like to make it easy to arrest me" on it.
Considering the area where she had her stuff stolen I have a feeling it wasn't rocket scientists committing the crime!

To the OP: If you don't already have some sort of identity theft protection, right now would be a good time.
Old March 6, 2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Ruthless4christ

Old March 6, 2013, 02:14 PM   #12
s2thalayer

whoa, no photo ID was taken. no debit cards.

Only thing missing that I know of is CCW, C&R, copy of SS, voter card, OSHA card, that's about it.

The C&R is useless without photo ID, and I don't really think I can even get in trouble for that. CCW is useless to anyone that isnt me, and doesn't pose a risk to me what so ever i don't think. the SS card missing is a big deal, but at least it's just a copy. The voter card isn't much good, since there still isn't a picture ID. I also have no credit cards in my name at all, nor do I have any credit at all. My mortgage is at a bank that does not report their lones, and my vehicles are at the same bank.

So I think I'm in the best possible shape I could be in, having lost all that.

I'm going to keep a look out with my banks and such, but I'm not terribly worried. Not to say that this doesn't totally suck. I'm crossing my fingers and all, but I'm not convinced that I need to go as far as identity theft insurance.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:53 PM   #13
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
the SS card missing is a big deal, but at least it's just a copy.
The card, original or copy, is not the issue. It's the number. Someone else (of unknown intent) having the number and your full name, whether they have a card or not, is a big risk these days.