The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 4, 2009, 02:40 PM   #1
gdeal

2 to the chest 1 to the head but what if...

there are two people? then would it just be a double-tap to each person? I might have to put up four bulls-eye targets to simulate two people. right now I have one round target above another round target. I shoot two to the bottom target and one to the top target. I print them out from the Remington web site and it's cheaper than buying the human sillouette targets at the range. Anyway back to my original question... What should the shooting be if there are two people side-by-side?
Old September 4, 2009, 02:45 PM   #2
comn-cents

It depends on the situation. Is one guy closer, is one armed?
For me if both are the same distance away and one is armed armed guy gets a couple, not armed guy may get a pass, depending on their reactions.
Both armed one closer than the other, closer guy gets one farther guy gets 2 then back to the close guy. Same distance both armed same thing, one in BG #1 then 2 in BG#2 then back to BG #1
Old September 4, 2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Nowhere Man

Two shots each. Go back to first for head shot. Finish with head shot to the second target.

Dave
Old September 4, 2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Dragon55

Carry something that will go through and through. Quickly run to their flank and start firing at the first BG ...... shots go through and get #2 also
Old September 4, 2009, 03:29 PM   #5
THEZACHARIAS

If you are to a point where you know they are both armed (most likely because 2 barrels are pointed at your chest), im gonna have to say its too late to be trying to shoot anyone. By the time you clear your holster, theyre gonna have half a magazine in you. Best bet is to talk the situation down or wait/hope/create enough of a distraction so you can draw and fire.

Cant hurt to practice a 2 to each chest followed by 1 to each head kind of drill, though. You never know, if its dark you just might get your shots off. The trick in this situation will be doing it without getting yourself shot too.
Old September 4, 2009, 03:32 PM   #6
markj

For more than one assailant I would recommend a hand grenade.

If a person or two attacks you and you draw upon them I doubt if you will get a chance to double tap each one unless they are far away.

Try one shot to center mass on each then cover them until 911 gets there.

Better yet try to avoid any type of confrontation like this, you will feel better.
Old September 4, 2009, 03:38 PM   #7
serf 'rett

The closer/farther and armed/unarmed thing is sensible.

Nowhere, since I have no tactical training, I’m wondering why you wouldn’t take the head shot at #2 while you’re still locked in on them from the double tap, before switching back to #1 for head shot?
Old September 4, 2009, 03:40 PM   #8
comn-cents

Dragon55 That's a great answer

THEZACHARIAS armed with what? Armed can mean many things.
Armed doesn't mean that the BG is prepared or alert. It is very possible to draw a shot before they can react.
I've seen this and practiced this many times.
My mother in-law was a cop for 27 yrs and told me this story. There was a cop that walk into a bank robbery, not knowing what was going on. He was in street clothes and the three BG all had hostages with guns to their heads. He shot all of the BG before any of them could responded.
Old September 4, 2009, 03:46 PM   #9
THEZACHARIAS

This is true. But resolving this kind of scenario sounds more dependant on the specific circumstances rather than the actual disparity in the number of participants.
Old September 4, 2009, 03:48 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdeal
What should the shooting be if there are two people side-by-side?
I believe the saying goes "Everyone gets firsts before anyone gets seconds."
Old September 4, 2009, 04:02 PM   #11
comn-cents

+1^
Old September 4, 2009, 04:15 PM   #12
MLeake

Multiple attacker drills

First, as other posters have noted, avoidance is the best tactic.

Second, sometimes we lose our situational awareness, or the environment is just rife with hiding places despite our best efforts. EG, one avoids the shadowy doorway by moving closer to the street while walking down the sidewalk, but a BG pops out from behind a parked van...

So, if there's more than one attacker, and if you think engaging is the only viable option at that point, just bear in mind that moving will cause them more problems than it will cause you. IE, try to move in such a way that you put one of the attackers between you and the other attacker(s). You can shoot down that line and hit BG's either way; the farther BG(s) risk hitting their teammate if they try to shoot at you.

We do these sort of drills vs melee weapons or open-hand all the time in aikido; it's called "randori." One learns very quickly the value of trying to move so that your opponents get in each other's way.

But again, the best thing is to avoid the problem in the first place.

Cheers,

M
Old September 4, 2009, 08:52 PM   #13
Nowhere Man

serf 'rett wrote;
Quote:
Nowhere, since I have no tactical training, I’m wondering why you wouldn’t take the head shot at #2 while you’re still locked in on them from the double tap, before switching back to #1 for head shot?
In theory, the body shots to #1 and #2 only shook them up. You want to return to #1 with a head shot before he is able to return fire. Taking the head shot on #2 first may give #1 enough time to rejoin the fight.

Dave
Old September 4, 2009, 09:32 PM   #14
Trigger Finger

There was a drill we went through years ago that was taught in the academy.

When confronted with more than one opponent in a shooting situation, shoot one shot in the 10 ring in each opponent targeting the closest first then return to fire a second or third shot in those that need it!
If I recall correctly it was called the Hickok Technique. Supposedly named after a bar room shooting Wild Bill was involved in.
Old September 4, 2009, 09:42 PM   #15
HuntAndFish

^ +1. Also commonly referred to as boarding house rules. Everyone gets a helping before anyone gets seconds.

ETA: However, it has been shown to me in a timed drill that with only two opponents a quick hammer to both targets is a fraction of a second faster than a box drill on them. You need to decide what to do for yourself and practice it.

Last edited by HuntAndFish; September 4, 2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old September 4, 2009, 09:43 PM   #16
stephen426

Not productive.

Can we keep to the real issue and useful suggestions.

Also, suggestions from folks who have trained for such are better than speculation.

GEM
Old September 4, 2009, 10:25 PM   #17
Kyo

I practice by doing 3 COM in each target, then the last target going to the head, and then going back to the rest with the head as the target.
I do this with 3 targets.
with 2 I think I still would shoot 3 each in the center.
oh and I can shoot just as well with my left. doing a double carry must be a PITA
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old September 4, 2009, 10:32 PM   #18
MLeake

Again...

... this is really one of those situations where training to move and shoot would be beneficial. Standing still and trying to play quick-draw with two or more shooters who have unobstructed lines of fire is not good odds.
Old September 4, 2009, 10:41 PM   #19
Skan21

No such thing as a "double tap" anymore. Technically, it's a "controlled pair", now. I guess DT's got a bad name, so they changed it. A lot like Blackwater, now that I think about it.......

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old September 4, 2009, 10:42 PM   #20
akamdg

You should be able to deliver a controlled pair to the center mass pretty rapidly. So I think it makes the most sense to fire two controlled pairs into both guys and then if they're still a threat to either continue shooting at center mass or aim at their heads.

"If a person or two attacks you and you draw upon them I doubt if you will get a chance to double tap each one unless they are far away."

I'd have to disagree with that statement. I think an example of why that's not true is the shooting that involved Bernhard Goetz. Goetz was surrounded by four guys on a subway train who were going to rob him. He drew his five-shot S&W revolver and shot all four of them in 1.6 seconds or less and stopped them from being a threat.
Old September 4, 2009, 11:00 PM   #21
Trigger Finger

Goetz didn't double tap each opponent!
Old September 4, 2009, 11:01 PM   #22
MLeake

Umm... Bernard Goetz?

Bernie is a diversion from the issue.
Old September 4, 2009, 11:15 PM   #23
koolminx

Not productive. Also, hint - don't use words that bring up the language filter. If you see stars = **** - go back and edit your post.
Old September 4, 2009, 11:22 PM   #24
akamdg

No Bernie!!
Old September 4, 2009, 11:34 PM   #25
MLeake

You're still way off, akamdg

NO Bernie!
Closed Thread