The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 11, 2006, 07:51 PM   #1
Live Free Or Die

Apparently I stink at skeet

I had a chance to shoot skeet this afternoon -- it was my first time doing so. I've never handled a shotgun before, but I've shot some .22 pistol bullseye, as well as a lot of other handgun calibers and rifles. Long story short, it seems that whatever skill I've acquired shooting bullseye with pistols is completely useless to me on the skeet field. I hit 3/4 on stations 1 and 7, and missed just about all other shots. Meanwhile, my buddy who is lucky to keep lead in the black on a bullseye target was able to hit about half of his pidgeons (also his first time shooting a shotgun), but interestingly enough, none of them on stations 1 or 7.

Well, I'm not discouraged. I'm just motivated to go out and practice some more until I can overcome whatever's making me suck at this game. Although I hated doing poorly, I still had a lot of fun.
Old March 11, 2006, 08:25 PM   #2
Rembrandt

Two pointers....(1) ignore your sights. Handgun and rifle shooters are in the habit of aligning their sights before pulling the trigger. (2) Get your garden hose out and practice moving side to side spraying water...then try hitting a flying frizbee with hose & water as you lead the target. Very same concept with shotguns and skeet. In no time at all you'll learn how to lead the target.

Stations 1 & 7 are the easiest...... hold the shotgun steady at some point of the targets flight path, then wait for it to intersect, pull the trigger.
Old March 11, 2006, 08:32 PM   #3
270Win

lol... hello fellow Marylander. Skeet is repetition, repetition, repetition. You'll soon find the clays come across a certain place over and over again - then it's just preparation and waiting. The range near me is almost entirely skeet ranges, and many of the members shoot 24 or 25 out of 25 routinely. I still haven't developed much of a taste for it, though...

I prefer trap, especially when the machine supports wobble. I find the randomness more challenging, plus I like the increasing-distance aspect as well.
Old March 11, 2006, 08:41 PM   #4
Bonstrosity

if you've never handled a shotgun before skeet is a very tough way to start out. if you hit 3/4 on a couple stations thats not bad at all for your first time. Skeet was the toughest thing I've ever shot. Keep at it though...the hose idea is good. kind of spread your shot out width wise.
Old March 12, 2006, 03:51 AM   #5
Wildalaska

I'm so bad at skeet that the clay birds turn around after I shoot at them, fly over my head and poop

WildhowhumiliatingAlaska
Old March 12, 2006, 09:16 AM   #6
kudu

I started a guy who had never picked up a shotgun on skeet a couple weeks ago. With coaching he shot a 9 the first round, about a 14 the second round and a 17 the third round. You must keep both eyes open to judge speed and distance on targets, and it helps to have an experienced shooter to help.
Old March 12, 2006, 11:02 AM   #7
Live Free Or Die

Thanks for the feedback on my sob story, everyone.

I was with an experienced skeet shooter -- he was introducing my friend and I to the sport. The plan was for him to give us feedback and instruction, but that didn't work out. The range was quite busy, and the three of us were forced to join 2 very experienced skeet shooters who were practicing for competition. We didn't want to slow them down, so we kind of rushed through it without time for instruction or contemplation. That's not my excuse for poor performance though -- I just stank it up, plain and simple. I believe I was attempting to shoot skeet the same way I shoot slow-fire bullseye, and there's just not time for that kind of precision except maybe at stations 1 and 7.
Old March 12, 2006, 11:36 AM   #8
mete

Many like myself started out as rifle and handgund shooters, we AIM. I had a great coach for shotgun and glad I took the time and money. He showed that I was indeed aiming ,that is focusing on the front sight or bead !!! In shotgun you POINT, always focusing the eys on the target not the bead !! It helps a lot to have a gun that fits you well but you have to work hard to get out of the aiming habit .
Old March 12, 2006, 12:29 PM   #9
rugerdude

I shoot youth skeet competetively, and just last year when I had to learn the game as well as a lot of other kids, well........it's got a bit of a learning curve, esspecially if you're new to shotguns.

You did fine for your first time.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old March 12, 2006, 06:12 PM   #10
malachi

Live Free

Don't feel bad. I have actually won a few pistol matches over the years, but after a round or two of skeet, I felt like throwing rocks.
Old March 12, 2006, 06:38 PM   #11
charlie in md

Where were you shooting?

I'm curious, as I shoot in Maryland too.
Old March 12, 2006, 06:44 PM   #12
Cowman

Ok, here's what works for me..
You do aim, you just don't sit there lining up a shot like with a rifle.
Wait till the clay is launched, aim behind it then move your sight forward past the clay until you are leading it by an apropriate amount, then fire.
Old March 13, 2006, 12:03 AM   #13
Live Free Or Die

Charlie -

I was shooting at PG County Trap & Skeet. Where do you shoot?
Old March 13, 2006, 07:21 AM   #14
thelurcher

270Win: Is it Olympic Skeet ye shoot - regularly shooting 24 or 25 will see your members in BEIJING 2008
One guy at the club I go to will shoot that well and he represents our country at the sport.

I took it up to improve my game shooting - but now I'm hooked - so hard to get right though.
I practice mounting the gun a few times a week - keep mounting it over and over - pays off in the end. Holding it so low for Olympic skeet makes it so much harder.
With the timer on the thrower it's easier IMO to watch the house for the bird - then follow it out - give it some lead depending and shoot - heard the Italians shoot differently though?
Old March 13, 2006, 02:15 PM   #15
270Win

lurcher... lol, no way, the best I've ever done at skeet is about a 20, and I was amazed. I shoot trap very often, and the other members of the Isaak Walton League where I shoot often wander over to trap because "Getting twenty-fives all day becomes tedious." I quote directly. I have seen a few of the older gentleman shoot perfects over and over and over... so I assume that the 'complainers' aren't too far off the mark.
Old March 13, 2006, 08:23 PM   #16
clayking

As one can tell by my handle, that's what I do the most, shooting clays. First and foremost, the gun must be fitted to come up to your shoulder and cheek without looking to see if its right. Practice, practice, practice. If one is shooting skeet gun up (mounted before the call of the clay), then that part is not as important as you can settle in before the call. Face the furthermost house and twist partway back toward the the high house, station 2 for instance, about 1/2 way between the center stake and the house, cut your eyes about another 1/2 distance and say pull. As the clay (don't look at the opening) comes out keep your eyes on the clay and start swinging your gun, when you pull just ahead of it, fire, but keep swinging the gun (very important). That is called swing through. Don't stop the gun.

Sustained lead would be to.....again, face the furthermost skeet house, even on 4, I face the low house, and set up the same way. When the clay comes out get your gun in front of the clay establish the lead and and fire. Station 4 is around a 4 foot lead, 3 & 5 about 3. 2 and 6 are swing threws from the outgoing house and 2-3 foot leads from the incoming house. Station one high house line the gun with the stake, and when the clay just settles on top of the gun, fire. Station one incoming should be shot mid field with about a foot lead. On doubles maybe a little more depending where you catch it. Don't marry the lead. The goal should be to break most at mid-field. Different stations will require different leads, but after awhile the brain takes over and sees the proper lead. Did I say, don't stop the gun?

As one swings the gun a shot trail will result, somewhat like the water hose example above. Don't never ever aim a shotgun unless you're shooting a sitting duck. Point. Good shooters will select the point at which they wish to break the clay, and not really fully shoulder the gun until the moment of fire as they are swinging the gun and following the clay as they mount. Don't stop the gun.

Good luck. It will take about 1000 shells to get it down. The best I've ever done with a 12 was 135 straight. My favorite is the 28 as there is little kick and my scores are almost as good as my 12. The 410 is another story, lucky to get into the low 20's, but a lot of fun............and oh, don't stop the gun....................ck
Old March 14, 2006, 09:21 AM   #17
dfaugh

Don't feel bad

when i first started out w/ a shotgun, I was a "natural", shot 16/25 the first time I shot trap, and rapidly got up to 98-99%---on trap, where targets are always rising, and always moving away.

So, when had the opportunity to try shoot International Skeet, I thought, well this shouldn't be so hard.

WRONG! I don't remember how many I hit the first time, but I'm sure it was only 2 or 3...All of a sudden I've got birds coming form all directions, moving WAY faster than I'm used to, etc. It was a very humbling experience.

My suggestion would be to start with some trap, and get more comfortable with leading targets, etc. As mentioned, if you're used to handguns and rifles, your natural tendency is to try and "Aim"...Doens't work with moving targets...When I was shooting regularly, I never saw the sights, in fact never really "saw" the barrel...the gun just became an extention of my body, and naturally went where I wanted it to go....

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old March 14, 2006, 02:28 PM   #18
K80Geoff

Your first boo boo was allowing the range to squad you with two "Experts" who just want to practice. You slowed them down and they forced you to skybust without learning anything.

Skeet is difficult to learn but easy to master, as the old timers will tell you. Try to go with the experienced shooter when the three of you can have the field to yourselves without impatient poopyheads trying to speed things up. Or better get a lesson from a "Pro".

Skeet is repetition, follow through, stance and keeping your head on the stock on a gun that fits you. All this stuff needs to be worked out so you can enjoy the game. You have to memorize the leads for each station.

The hardest station to learn is low 8.