The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 17, 2015, 07:00 AM   #1
Shooter2675

Need a Scope for my AR-15

Well I am building a new .223 upper for my AR-15, and I am going to use a White Oak Armament barrel, the 26 inch match barrel that is. Now I just need to decide what scope to buy. I would be shooting at the following distances (based on the ranges I have access to): 50 yards, 100 yards, 200 yards, and 300 yards. Do you think I would need an adjustable parallax scope? If I don't need an adjustable parallax scope I was thinking a Nikon Prostaff, as my budget is around $200. I was also looking at the Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x scope with adjustable parallax, but I am a little skeptical about the bullet drop reticle. Any thoughts on those kind of reticles or if I need adjustable parallax? Any scope reccomendations under $250 (I could stretch my budget a little)?

John
Old February 17, 2015, 07:07 AM   #2
Mobuck

Parallax adjustment is a crutch for those who can't maintain a proper cheekweld and/or expect extremely precise bullet placement throughout widely varied ranges. Basically, if you use the same scope to shoot 22lr at 10 meters and swap it to a 22/250 to shoot prairie dogs at 500 yards, you probably need a parallax adjustable scope. I bought a parallax adjustable scope about 1978 and don't think I've moved that adjustment more than 1 or 2 times.
Old February 17, 2015, 07:41 AM   #3
JLK

You can get a Leupold Mark AR 3 9 for 299. It has drop compensation
Turret for a 55 gr. bullet
Old February 17, 2015, 07:54 AM   #4
Taco-XL

Using a 26" match barrel and your budget for a scope is only $200? Im guessing since you are using a 26" you are going for super long range, but you said just 300 yrds? That length in 223 is odd, IMHO, but for $200 you will be limited as far as really good quality long range scopes go. Id look for a Nikon Prostaff 5, or Vortex, which ever i could find cheapest, on sale, etc. You dont need adj parallax for distances that short. I honestly never use my parallax, it stays on 100yrd setting.
Old February 17, 2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Shooter2675

Well, I guess I could bump up my budget for a scope. Now that I think about it a 26 inch match barrel does deserve a better scope. For now, 300 yards is the farthest I can shoot at, but I am trying to find some longer ranges. I also liked the longer barrel for its weight so I can get on target faster after I shoot if I am hunting. I could stretch my scope budget to maybe $350, and if absolutely need me, maybe as much as $400, but hopefully under that. What's the best scope for under $350? I want at least a 12x zoom and I would like parallax adjustment but it isn't a must. I'm a little skeptical of the bullet drop reticles, what's your opinion on them?

John
Old February 17, 2015, 03:09 PM   #6
Yokoman

Primary Arms

Primary Arms has the 4x14 with their new reticule. I have one on a 308 and it works great. Its ffp and has parallax adjustment.
Old February 17, 2015, 03:13 PM   #7
Shooter2675

The Primary Arms scope looks nice. Only downside is that it is a three year warranty whereas Bushnell or nikon is a lifetime. Any thoughts the Bushnell AR Optics line? How does it compare to their Trophy XLT line?

John
Old February 17, 2015, 03:22 PM   #8
Nathan

Shooting at paper targets at those ranges, I would and did go with the Nikon Monarch 3 2-8x32 BDC scope. BDC is great on an AR for quick yardage changes.

In your case, I would go 3-9x?? BDC. You with get the best scope for the buck in 3-9. I would also look at non-AO Vortex glass as your best bet. The Burris Fullfield II 3-9 with the E1 reticle would be a good choice. Often it is on sale closer to $150 and is a great buy.

Typically, I hear 26" barrel and I think ~800 yd 223. Then I think 5-25 optic in a $1500 FFP turret twister...YMMV.
Old February 17, 2015, 03:40 PM   #9
Shooter2675

Yes, I ageee, normally 26 inch ar-15's are for longer ranges, but I feel a 20 inch is too close to what I already have. I think the military trains with 10x scopes, and personally, even my Bushnell trophy xlt is fine for longer ranges. What are the main advantages of a $1000 scope over a $200 scope

John
Old February 17, 2015, 03:58 PM   #10
jwilson48

for the price range you are wanting i promise you there is not a better scope than the vortex diamondback. Get yourself the 4-12x40. you can get it at b and h video online for $180 with free shipping, a nice pair of safety glasses, and a $25 gift card. I own 3 diamondbacks, and one of the more expensive viper series, and honestly i like the diamondbacks better. they have an amazing field of view, and every one of them tracks true 1/4moa and hold their zero.
Old February 17, 2015, 04:00 PM   #11
Shooter2675

Sweet. I think I might buy the diamondback, but anyone have any opinions on the Bushnell ar optics? Any reasons not to buy the 26 inch barrel? For some reason I just love the looks of a longer barrel and would like the ability to gain some more velocity for longer distance shooting if I ever find a range that is more than 300 yards.

John
Old February 18, 2015, 12:46 AM   #12
Taco-XL

Nothin wrong with 26" if you like it, it just isnt common. If its a bull, itll be heeeeeavy. Maybe too heavy for hunting...for the bench, weight is of no concern to me. I got a Vortex Viper 4x16x44 for around $350 if i remember right (non bdc) Is it much better than a Diamondback? I dont know. It does have parallax adjustment though, if you still want that. I advise getting the most magnification you can afford at whatever price you set. Always better to have more than not enough. Especially if you are going for long range precision. A 3x9 to me isnt what i consider a long range precision optic. I love my Prostaff 5 4X18 but it is closer to $400-500.

I dont like the BDC reticle, it obstructs the target in my opinion, and it isnt as precise as a crosshair is. A mil dot would serve better than a BDC any day.
Old February 18, 2015, 02:12 AM   #13
EchoM70

Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42mm SF... $299, check them out. Well worth the price.
Old February 18, 2015, 02:25 AM   #14
marine6680

Quote:
What are the main advantages of a $1000 scope over a $200 scope
Quality... especially the glass.

As zoom increases, the quality of the glass gets more important, and as distance increases the glass quality gets more important... A lower quality glass that works fine in a 10X will not work well in a 15X or 20X scope. As distance increases, image aberrations can affect the shot more as well.

If you want a very good scope at a good price.

The SWFA SS scopes are very nice, with great glass in them. They are $300, but go on sale from time to time. Probably one of if not the best scopes you can get for $300 or less... It can even beat scopes that cost more.

They are fixed power, a little large and heavy... Its the price you pay to have a scope at that price point with glass as good as scopes costing 3 times as much... makes them tough as nails though.

If you are shooting at fixed ranges, fixed power is not a problem. Most people only use the highest setting on the scope anyway. As you said... the military uses fixed 10X scopes.

They come in 6X, 10X, 12x and also I believe 14X versions.

A 10X is a good all around zoom.

14X will aid precision at longer ranges, 300yds is the farthest in your case, but it helps if you get the chance to shoot at longer ranges... but the constricted field of view can make it frustrating at ranges less than 100yds... but that isn't a huge deal for a bench gun... It is an issue if using it for moving targets, like hunting.

6X is better if you will be primarily shooting at 50-100yds and/or want the wide field of view, which is good for moving targets when at close ranges.

Last edited by marine6680; February 18, 2015 at 02:33 AM.
Old February 18, 2015, 06:11 AM   #15
Nathan

Differences in price:

-The ability to see target detail at longer(>400 yd) ranges.
-The ability for the turrets to go exactly 6 MOA when you dial that....and go back
-Reticles that are accurate at range
-Configuration: reticle choice, zoom range choice, turret choice, side focus, lit reticle, etc
- the ability to shoot earlier in the morning, later in the evening, or tough lighting like into the sun.
Old February 18, 2015, 06:37 AM   #16
Shooter2675

Thank you. I can definetly attest to optics quality, I'm a hobbyist photographer so I know what you mean by good glass.

The SWFA SS scopes look nice, but right now the 10x is going to $400 and I am not sure if the 6x would be enough for 300 yards.

What are your opinions on a Bushnell Trophy XLT? I have one on my shotgun and I think they are good for the price.

The problem I am having is if I need parallax adjustment. What do you think? Do I need it for ranges out to 300 yards and eventually more? I think it would be a good thing to have, especially if I want to go to my ranges 50 or 25 yard ranges if I move the scope to another gun.

John
Old February 18, 2015, 06:41 AM   #17
darkgael

Scope

Quote:
m going to use a White Oak Armament barrel, the 26 inch match barrel that is. Now I just need to decide what scope to buy. I would be shooting at the following distances (based on the ranges I have access to): 50 yards, 100 yar
So...why not use iron sights?
Pete
Old February 18, 2015, 06:56 AM   #18
BigBL87

I'd look at Mueller optics. I have a Mueller MultiShot 2-7 scope on my AR15 and really like it. I have their Mueller APV on my Savage Mark II as well. For the price they are hard do beat as far as quality goes.

You say you're looking for at least 12x on the high end and adjustable parallax, the Mueller APV (or APT if you prefer the mil dot crosshair) fits to a T. It's 4.5x-14x as far as magnification and has parallax adjustment.

If you want even more magnification, they have more options you can check out on their website. I hear good things about their Eradicator line, which has higher magnification in the 8x-25x range.
Old February 18, 2015, 08:52 AM   #19
bedlamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter2675
The problem I am having is if I need parallax adjustment. What do you think? Do I need it for ranges out to 300 yards and eventually more? I think it would be a good thing to have, especially if I want to go to my ranges 50 or 25 yard ranges if I move the scope to another gun.
If you always hold your eye aligned with the exact center of the scope, you don't need it. If your eye is off center, and you're not shooting at the same distance the scope is focused at (usually 100-150 yards), it will be off target. If you have a scope, set it on a sandbag and look through it without touching it, move your head from side to side and see how much targets at different ranges move while the scope is still.

There's more to glass quality than where it's made, but it's a very good indicator. I won't touch a scope made in China or Korea. Philipenes is a definite step up in quality, and the best is made in Japan, USA, or Westarn Europe depending on who you ask. For decent quality on a budget, look at Weaver (Japan) or Redfield (USA). Just remember with all optics you get what you pay for.

BDC is IMO a gimmick whos 15 minutes is just about done. It can work OK for most common cartridges out to about 300 yards if you find the right load. Beyond that get some type of Mil based reticle. My most recent scope purchase was a Vortex HS-T (made in Plilipenes with L.O.W. Japanese glass)
Old February 19, 2015, 10:16 AM   #20
Shooter2675

I am still trying to decide on the actual scope, but I have found some good choices. One is the Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18.

Now, I'm not really sure what power scope I would need for shooting out to 300 yards and hopefully coyote hunting out that far or out to 500 yards. Some people have said a 3-9 is all they need, so I was looking at the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD in 3-9, but then I thought why not get the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14?

Another good scope I saw was the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 Nikoplex for $200. I like the scope a lot it's just since it has been discontinued I am not sure if it would be the best choice.

Right now I'm just trying to decide what power scope I need and if I want the Bullet drop reticle. I think it would be neat to have the Bullet drop reticle, but if I ever wanted to move it to say my .30-30, the bullet drop reticle would be pointless.

What are your opinions on the aforementioned scopes? Another one I was looking at was the Trophy XLT 6-18 by Bushnell.

John
Old February 19, 2015, 05:17 PM   #21
Shooter2675

Well, after days of trying to decide what scope to get, I finally bought the scope. A bushnell ar optics 4.5-18x40. I like the specs, it has adjustable parallax from 22 feet to infinity, and it's a fairly compact scope. I ordered it from amazon where they are on sale right now for $176.50, down from $202 earlier today.

I'll let you know my opinions on it when I receive it. Until then, shoot safe!

John
Old February 22, 2015, 01:27 AM   #22
marine6680

I haven't checked back in a while... and I seen your post.

There are two models of the SS scopes. One has side focus and costs $100 more.

The rear focus models are all $300.

But you have a scope now, so enjoy.
Old February 22, 2015, 09:20 AM   #23
mavracer

I had the same scope on a bolt 223 and really liked it only down sides it had was it's really heavy and has kinda a short mount area for rings. Sounds like weight isn't a big concern for you though.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old February 22, 2015, 09:52 AM   #24
979Texas

The only scope I have ever had on my AR and really the only scopes I have bought in the last few years have been nothing but Bushnell Banner Dusk&Dawn scopes. I have a 4-12 on my AR and a 6-18 on my M70 .270. They are great scopes and very low priced for the quality. They took no time to sight in and they have held a constant zero for the three years I have had them on my guns. They are also great in low light conditions and on nights with a lot of moonlight you can see perfectly clear through them with no lights at all. Great scopes and great prices.

Tags
parallax , scope , white oak