The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 26, 2013, 10:55 AM   #1
mattL46

Python or King Cobra

Been seriously considering purchasing one of these beauties! Just having a very hardtime deciding which. I can find more KC's in the $1500 ish range than the Python. Of course the python has the super cool factor. Although I can find a few in the $1600-1800 range. Little more than I want to spend. I think I'll be selling the Harley in the spring so I can recover some of the cost. Which revolver would YOU choose. All popularity and hype aside. This gun will be shot. (Not a 1000 rounds a week but regularly) What finish would you choose. I love both. ( I know there is more than one "silver" finish) the silver finishes are easier to take care of and are attractive but who doesn't like a blued wheelgun!? I'm kind of leaning towards a python right now....but am very open to suggestions.
Old December 26, 2013, 11:40 AM   #2
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattL46
Which revolver would YOU choose. All popularity and hype aside. This gun will be shot.
King Cobra: An excellent revolver, but AFAIK, the innards are simpler and easier to fix/adjust if ever needed. Gunsmiths who are qualified to work on Pythons have become quite rare, so a Python that needs 'smithing will likely sit for a while.
Old December 26, 2013, 11:44 AM   #3
PetahW

AFAIK, the "silver finish" on the KC's is real stainless steel & on the carbon steel Python's a nickle plating.

FWIW, the internals of the two Colt's are vastly different.

The leaf mainspring of the Python is very much smoother to shoot than the coil mainspring KC - just one of the several reasons (like the better finish on a "top-of-the-line" gun) that the Python is a much better buy.

Also keep in mind that a Python will always be in demand/collectible; which I seriously doubt of the KC's.

Old December 26, 2013, 11:44 AM   #4
44 Mag Fan

Just get one of each, you can't go wrong. I would rather have a Ruger or

Smith, just not a Colt fan.
Old December 26, 2013, 12:36 PM   #5
laytonj1

Other than sharing the same manufacturer and caliber, they are vastly different.
The Python was designed to be the best 357 revolver made. The King Cobra was a much cheaper and simpler design meant to compete with the S&W 686 and Ruger's GP100.

And, IMO while they are both good guns, since the King Cobra is not in the same league as the Python then it certainly isn't worth the near Python prices folks are asking for them.

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; December 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old December 26, 2013, 01:12 PM   #6
KeeperOath

Flip a coin?

Nope. Buy both. I have a KC 4" Stainless and a PY 4" Royal Blue. Neither have I ever regreted buying. Hint: I bought the Python fist since they are harder to find at a good price. Good luck and have fun in your hunt.
Old December 26, 2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Grant D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is'nt a King Cobra,the same as the Trooper MK V without the vents in the rib and with a full underlug?

I have a blued 6" Python and a nickle plated 6" Trooper MK V and there is a lot of differance in the feel of the action, the Python is unbelievably smooth compared to the Trooper.

But... they are both very accurate!

I paid half the price of the Python for the Trooper though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trooper and python3.JPG (200.8 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Grant D; December 26, 2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old December 26, 2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Sevens

Those who doubt the King Cobra's "collectible" ability haven't been paying much attention to the market lately. In fact, the only Colt revolvers that don't seem to be swelling in price are the ones they made zillions of for duty use such as the worn out & beat-up old Police Positive revolvers.

I regularly attend the finest gun show in Ohio (which draws in folks from much further away) and it is a phenomenal place to shop for Colt revolvers. Nice King Cobra revolver in stainless run easily over $1,200 and go up from there. This is a revolver that used to sit in a similar price range as a similar vintage Smith & Wesson 686.

Add to the fact that the King Cobra isn't built like a Python and doesn't require the tuning and precision work that a Python does and it seems like the decision if you plan to shoot a decent volume is leaning toward the King Cobra.

The Python will always have more dollar "value." So if you see one of each sitting together with the same price, it's a no brainer... take the Python home. Problem is -- you won't. So if it can only be one or the other and you plan to shoot it a bunch, the King Cobra seems like the right choice to me.

But your heart (and wallet) will make the ultimate decision.

I've never had the pleasure to shoot a Python and I'm sure that one day, I'll get that chance. But to a man, I say the King Cobra is a better looking revolver than the Python. I mean, nobody can touch that Colt Royal Blue that you'll find in an older blued Python, but in the simple aesthetics of the gun and the solid (but not vented) rib, the King Cobra is a gorgeous revolver.
Old December 26, 2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Sharkbite

PYTHON ... All the way!!

If you are looking at the King Cobra class of revolvers, i would look for a SW 686. Just a better gun then the KC. IMHO

PLUS tons easier to get worked on and parts availability

I would even take a nicely tuned 686 over a python with the price of Pythons these days

All that being equal the Python is prob the best looking revolver out there. Just damn sexy lines to it
Old December 26, 2013, 01:43 PM   #10
mattL46

Such good responses. I know for shootabilty and ruggedness it would have to be the KC. I also feel like it is a gorgeous revolver. I'm not one to usually go with the social hype ( Ive always had love for the snake family even before the recent surge in popularity) and like sevens said anyone who thinks the KC is not collectible hasn't done much research. The only "snake" that I wouldn't consider collectible would be the standard cobra. Because they made millions. The others...steep price tags. Very very hard decision...
Old December 26, 2013, 05:42 PM   #11
KyJim

One small correction to Post #3 -- Colt made Pythons both in nickel and in the "Ultimate" stainless steel which is often confused for nickel:

Old December 26, 2013, 11:51 PM   #12
SVO

Another small addition is the King Cobra was also available in Blued finish as well as the Stainless.
Old December 27, 2013, 01:01 PM   #13
Kev

I'd go Python..
But I also need to replace a pair of 1960 era Officers Model Matches (38 & 22LR) before I get a snake..
Old December 27, 2013, 03:31 PM   #14
mattL46

Very nice pair there kev. My dad has the 38... I believe its a match but I could be wrong.
Old December 27, 2013, 03:46 PM   #15
UncleEd

What's amazing to me is the King Cobra was never a big seller, even at a competitive price against the Smith 586 or 686. Revolver shooters knew the difference and continue to support the Smith to this day. The King Cobra lockwork is inferior to the Pythons and the Smiths.

Now that Colt doesn't make them any more, the Cobras are commanding high prices. But they remain Mark Vs with more cosmetic styling.

So to the OP, go for the Python if you have the money. Personally I'd go for a vintage Smith 586, but I have been a dedicated double action revolver shooter though now I'm more into autos.
Old December 27, 2013, 11:13 PM   #16
mattL46

Thanks for the post uncle ed. When spring arrives I'll sexy up my bike and should be able to get a decent amount for it. Think I'll spring for the python and save up and buy the king cobra later. I'd like to have them both. Or I'll buy another vintage smith. I love my smiths too...
Old December 27, 2013, 11:25 PM   #17
lowercase

Buy the Python!

(They kill zombies on TV)

I have a 4" Python that is a joy to shoot.

Old December 28, 2013, 12:49 AM   #18
Venom1956

Quote:
But I also need to replace a pair of 1960 era Officers Model Matches (38 & 22LR) before I get a snake..
Replace why? Do tell. Something irreparable happen?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 28, 2013, 12:50 AM   #19
AID_Admin

Here is how I see it... A Python in mint condition will cost around $1800-$2000 and you'll have a unique gun, which many consider the best revolver of the 20th century. The KC in mint condition will cost about $1200-$1400 and you'll have a gun which is basically another revolver... a good revolver, but nothing to brag about :-)))

So, if these $500 is so important to you and you can not come up with these money, why not get a Python is less-than-mint condition? You can easily find a Python with some holster wear and a few scratches, but in excellent mechanical condition for $1500, which is almost the cost of KC. And since you are looking for a shooter visual condition should not be top priority. Just my thoughts...
Old December 28, 2013, 07:17 AM   #20
CharlieDeltaJuliet

This pistol has the best action of any revolver ?I have ever touched. If it is a wheel gun the Python is are to beat. The King Cobras are nice and I love that finish, but won't command that price in the end. To me there is a world of difference in the trigger pull on a KC and a Python.

..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 28, 2013, 03:31 PM   #21
pete2

If you can't have both get the Python. You might as well go first class.
Old December 28, 2013, 10:03 PM   #22
mattL46

I like the way you think Pete. Prolly what I'll do.
Old January 2, 2014, 10:09 AM   #23
Kev

Quote:
Replace why? Do tell. Something irreparable happen?

Errrrr...Lost them to the pawn shop many years ago during some very hard times, they were my fathers and well, I have not been forgiven and don't expect to be.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:16 PM   #24
mattL46

That sucks kev...we've all had to make similar choices. Sorry to hear that.
Old January 3, 2014, 03:31 PM   #25
Leejack

It's all about being cool!