The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 24, 2002, 09:10 PM   #1
hansolo

Mr. Jamomatic strikes again

I borrowed a .22 rifle(Remington Speedmaster 522)from a friend to see if I can get into the small bore thing. First time out, I'm groovin' on the Scope, looking at 3-4" groups I'm putting into 50 yard target...click. I'm used to pistols & revolvers, so, I'm looking at chamber: I see .22 casing at about 30 degree angle. Using gentle pressure, it is STUCK. This is a Tube-Feed rifle. Anyone? It was great for the first three "tubefuls".
Old August 24, 2002, 09:51 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Under barrel tubular magazines as a group are about the most unreliable and easily messed up of any type of feed. And that Remington is no better than others.

I would clean the gun thoroughly by taking it out of the stock and sloshing the receiver in a solvent. I not recommend taking down the rifle unless you have experience.

You might try another brand of ammo (high speed) just in case the cause is failure to cycle completely, but it might turn out to be a chronic problem and require a trip to the gunsmith.

Jim