The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 30, 2014, 07:56 PM   #1
TheNocturnus

Thinking about getting a pocket carry .357 snub

Hey guys, I have been a member here for a while just haven't posted in forever it seems. Life has had me very busy with a new baby, new job and other things. The gun bug has bitten me like it has so many times in the past.

I have my ccw permit (gotta renew it this april in fact) and I carry a Glock 30 as my primary weapon. In the winter time my G30 is hard to get to if I were to need it right away, this has lead me to this decision.

I want a .357 snub to fit in my coat pocket so that I could have my hands on it when my hands are in my pocket, if that makes sense. I would want to be able to fire it from my pocket if needed. Any suggestions?

Want to keep the budget around $500 but could go a little higher if needed.

Thanks!
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 30, 2014, 08:06 PM   #2
FoghornLeghorn

The only 357 snub I've got that I could even think about pocket carry is a DA only five shot SP101.

The only way I could fire it while it's in the pocket would be in a jacket with large pockets.

My other snubs are still big revolvers, even though the barrels are short.
Old January 30, 2014, 08:08 PM   #3
TheNocturnus

Does the sp101 come with a shrouded hammer or is it exposed? I would prefer a shrouded one for inside my pocket.

Nevermind, googled it. They do have a model with a shrouded hammer! I will have to check one out. I have some plans with part of my tax return.
Old January 30, 2014, 08:16 PM   #4
gilfo

Ruger LCR you will fall in love with the trigger
Old January 30, 2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Sgt127

The SP101 comes with a bobbed hammer DAO or traditional DA. There is not a shrouded version like the Smith Centennial.
Old January 30, 2014, 10:29 PM   #6
Microgunner

A little out of your budget but I've got a S&W 340PD J frame .357 that weighs in at a feather weight of 11.7 ozs.
This revolver is a breeze to carry but, man, it kicks like a three legged ninja.
Old January 30, 2014, 10:39 PM   #7
camsdaddy

S&W 640 sounds like what you are after. I have the 60 with a bobbed hammer and I really like it. Even though it is chambered in 357 I only carry 38's in it. I shoot it far better than I did the lighter versions I had
Old January 30, 2014, 11:47 PM   #8
Modernhoglegs

My edc is an Sp101.

One of the air eight Smiths or Ruger LCRs in 38 Special would probably be better for pocket carry. The SP101 really weighs down a jacket pocket, or your Dockers.

A 357 under 20 oz would be a real handful. The SP101 weighs 25 oz, and full house 158gr maggies are hard to keep n a 5" circle in rapid fire shooting with 2 hands.
Old January 30, 2014, 11:52 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

My choices....

As noted; the slick Ruger LCR .357magnum should do very well.
The DAO(double action only) format SP101 5 shot with 2.25" barrel is good too. This was my first snub revolver in 1993.
The Smith & Wesson M&P without security lock can be great but it's not cheap.
Charter Arms Pugs are a good value. They have DA only versions & models with shrouds. Many like the large .44spl caliber Pugs, but the .357magnum is a good model.

In general Id pack a factory made .38spl +P or +P+. Then I carry .357magnum rounds in speed strips. Magnum loads are strong & the muzzle flash/blast might be too much.
A CT lasergrip isn't a bad add-on too. www.Crimsontrace.com It will help with aim & marksmanship.
Old January 30, 2014, 11:52 PM   #10
TennJed

The Ruger LCR fits your needs perfectly
Old January 31, 2014, 02:19 AM   #11
TheNocturnus

Thanks for all the suggestions! I had forgotten about the Ruger LCR. Once my return comes in I will hit up some of my LGS and see what I can find.
Old January 31, 2014, 07:30 AM   #12
Kreyzhorse

Whatever you plan on buying, jam it in your pocket first if you ever thing you pocket carry in your jeans or slacks.

Personally, pocket carry with a snub prints way too much for my liking so when my 637 was my primary CCW gun, I carried it either OWB or IWB depending on what I was wearing.

Again, pocket carry may work for you but try before you buy. As far as coat pocket, I'd suggest an Airweight or similar from Smith & Wesson. Well made and they won't look like you have a brick in your coat pocket.
Old January 31, 2014, 07:51 AM   #13
kutz

LCR
Old January 31, 2014, 08:33 AM   #14
SansSouci

I couldn't imagine firing a .357 Mag round out of a 2" revolver. In reality, a 357 Mag in a small-barreled gun offers no appreciable advantage over a .38 Special +P. I have fired +P rounds out of a Model 60, and it ain't fun.
Old January 31, 2014, 09:02 AM   #15
rodfac

For pocket carry, with a substantial caliber, nothing beats a J-frame Smith. My wife carries this Smith M637 Airweight when out walking the dog along our farm road. A hammerless model would make more sense, but in practice sessions, she's never had it hang up while drawing. In .38 Spl., her preferred ammunition is Remington's 125 gr Golden Saber JHP's. Here's a pic, albeit with a pair of BBQ grips; for carry and night stand use, she's got Crimson Trace lasers on it.

Best Regards, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 1, 2014, 12:35 AM   #16
Nick_C_S

Quote:
S&W 640 sounds like what you are after.
That's what I was going to suggest. The 640 has an internal hammer and is double-action only. Also, the new ones are a little beefier in the nose area; plus, they extended the barrel by 1/4" inch (from 1.875 to 2.125). I know it doesn't sound like much, but with a barrel that short, 1/4" could actually deliver a measurable velocity difference.

I'm not in the market for a 5-shot compact 357; but if I were, the 640 would be it, without hesitation. (I'd load it with 38+P's, but that's another post. )
Old February 1, 2014, 01:41 AM   #17
David spargenator

I think you should go with a ruger sp101 exposed hammer. It's a single/double action and I think it could easily be fired from inside a pocket. However the infamous blast of a 357 snubby will likely catch your clothing on fire if u try that.
Old February 1, 2014, 03:26 AM   #18
USMC 77-81

Keep in mind, if you were to shoot through your pocket you would get a small amount of noise suppression, probably still hurt your ears. If you were to ever pull it out and shoot without some form of hearing protection your ears will hurt badly and may have permanent damage. I shot my S & W 66 one time without ear protection and will never do so again except in the most immediate of need.
Old February 1, 2014, 04:31 AM   #19
LockedBreech

Thinking about getting a pocket carry .357 snub

The LCR's trigger is just lovely. I never realized how important a trigger could be until I shot that gun and was getting excellent results even at 25 yards. At close social work ranges like 7-10 yards patterning on the chest and head of the torso target was very easy.

If it gives the high esteem I hold for that trigger any weight, I also own and carry a 1968 Colt Detective Special, a wheelgun noted for a superb trigger pull. I still think the LCR's is excellent.
Old February 1, 2014, 07:41 AM   #20
ClydeFrog

accessories.....

If you choose to go the pocket holster route, Id look at the new Sticky Holster line.
This US firm makes holsters that can convert to ankle or IWB.
Other good brands include the Tuff Products or the DeSantis Nemnesis.
I purchased a Nemnesis pocket holster in 2004 for my Taurus Ti Protector snub.

Tuff Products sells 5/6/7 shot Quik Strips.
They come in black or safety orange. I would buy the orange type to aid in seeing them quickly in low light & to avoid loss.

Many snub revolver owners carry speed strips & train to reload 1/2 rounds at a time.
Old February 1, 2014, 07:46 AM   #21
Don P

S&W Model 649 2 1/8" barrel shrouded hammer. Great pocket pistol in 38spl/357mag
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 1, 2014, 08:31 AM   #22
SteelChickenShooter

I've tried four different j-frames from the stainless 357's and the lighter weight 38's. They each have pro's & con's. So I decided if I had only one- which would it be? The answer was none of what I had so I sold them all to people eager to grab them up. And that's fine, their needs where not the same as mine. I replace them all with what I thought was the best choice. I bought a S&W MP360. It's a lighter weight black 357. However, at this writing, I didn't readily see it among the S&W revolvers on their website.
The stainless steel guns were fine for belted holster carry, but too heavy for pocket carry in a light jacket or especially summer shorts. The lighter guns were fine as far as sagging goes, but I desire the greater power of the 357. As far as recoil, for me it's mostly a non issue. I don't shoot my M&P360 and don't expect to unless the situation is absolutely necessary. And if that were the case, I really expect just a couple shots would do the job. It's not likely the bit of recoil sting in the hand would be a problem or even noticed. Of course I've fired other small handguns before, and I know how hard they can kick, so the recoil of my MP360 would come as no surprise. I'm also 100% confident it will be on target at such close ranges where these unfortunate events usually take place.

Last edited by SteelChickenShooter; February 1, 2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old February 1, 2014, 11:05 AM   #23
Dave Chuppa

I like the LCR357. Depending on how you tolerate recoil, you can go from wild 357 loads to the mildest 38. I carry Corbon 357. I've carried this as a pocket back up or a IWB main carry. It makes a good back up for my SP101. When I go light my 442 backs up the LCR357.
Old February 1, 2014, 11:09 AM   #24
TheNocturnus

This is why I love this forum. You guys have some great info to think about.
Old February 1, 2014, 11:20 AM   #25
2damnold4this

While you do get more power out of a .357 than a .38, it's not for me out of a light weight snubby. The .357 is great from a full size steel revolver but the recoil and muzzle blast from a light snubby are too much for me. A relatively inexpensive 642/442 or LCR in .38 is what I would consider for a pocket gun.