The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 20, 2012, 01:54 PM   #1
cetanner

Ammo Question for Range Use with SR9C

Bought a SR9C a couple of weeks ago. Have been going to the range frequently and find paying $20 for 50 rounds of 9mm ammo a bit much. Went to local Walmart today to buy my own 9mm ammo. I asked the clerk what the price was for their cheapest 9mm ammo. They had TULAMMO 50 rounds 9mm Luger 115 gram FMJ for $10 and Federal Ammo 9mm Luger FMJ for $12 for 50 rounds each. The TULAMMO is made in Russia. Has anyone used it? Is it ok to use at the range? How about the Federal ammo which is made in the US.? Your help is appreciated. Thanks
Old March 20, 2012, 02:00 PM   #2
carguychris

Quote:
Is it ok to use at the range? How about the Federal ammo which is made in the US.?
Many indoor ranges ban steel-cased Russian ammo because of the persistent use of steel in the bullets themselves. Click the link and scroll down to Post #12:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472174

I don't know where you live, so I cannot comment on your area, but I'm not aware of any indoor ranges in the DFW, TX vicinity that allow steel-cased ammo anymore. Other forum members report similar policies in their areas.

OTOH Federal ammo uses traditional copper-jacketed lead-core bullets and is permitted pretty much anywhere.
Old March 20, 2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

Personally I would pay the extra 4 cents per round for the federal brass case ammo. Also check out the 100 round value pack Winchester USA. Known on here and other forums as WWB, or Winchester white box.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 20, 2012, 02:13 PM   #4
BarryLee

Yes, the WWB are pretty good for range use since they are fairly consistent, clean and not too expensive. Read some of the posts on here and you can find on-line sources for bulk ammo if you want to consider going that way.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 20, 2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Oysterboy

Fed Champs, Rem UMCs and WWBs for the range.
Old March 20, 2012, 03:26 PM   #6
cetanner

I live in South Carolina. I had no idea they were steel jackets. I guess that and the fact they were made in Russia are why they are cheaper. I will have to check to see if my range even allows the Russian ammo. Thanks carguychris for the link in the older thread. I found it very helpful.

Thanks to those that replied. I am new to shooting and want to minimize my range costs so that I can afford to shoot more often.
Old March 20, 2012, 04:21 PM   #7
JHansenAK47

The key word is bimetal. If it says that it generally means it is a steel jacket with a thin copper plating. By thin I mean gold plating thin. If in doubt check it with a magnet.

Quote:
Many indoor ranges ban steel-cased Russian ammo because of the persistent use of steel in the bullets themselves.
Steel doesn't deform like copper or lead and can damage the bullet traps of many indoor ranges. As well as throw sparks that can start fires at outdoor ranges.(I doubt fires are as big of a problem in south carolina as they are out here in the western states) Not to mention the range can't pick up your steel cases and resell them for reloading like brass cases.

Another thing to note is that steel cases don't expand like brass and seal your chamber so they tend to get your gun dirtier per shot than a brass case.
Personally I like PMC.
Old March 20, 2012, 05:42 PM   #8
BigJimP

My local indoor ranges ...won't allow the russian ammo either ....steel cases, etc...and the guys I know that have fired some of it ...report its really dirty.

I would go with the other option...

and consider re-loading down the road...( my 9mm rounds using a premium bullet are around $ 5.50 for a 50 round box ).../ which means I shoot more, with the same budget...and I like reloading as part of the hobby...
Old March 20, 2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Nico Testosteros

Some Russian ammo is dirty. Monarch, sold by Academy is and it smells like cat ****. I shot some Silver Bear a few weeks ago that shot pretty clean as did the Wolf in the camo box. I thought the Silver Bear was pretty nice to shoot. I liked the nickel coated cases better than the polymer coated Wolf as they were slicker and easier to stuff into a magazine.
Old March 20, 2012, 06:13 PM   #10
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Some Russian ammo is dirty. Monarch, sold by Academy is and it smells like cat [urine].
I've noticed that about a lot of ammo, including some of my reloads. All gunpowder has to contain nitrogen, and I think that the nitrogen compounds used in some of them are pretty similar to urea (or they may actually use urea).
Old March 20, 2012, 06:28 PM   #11
serf 'rett

It didn't take long for the store bought ammo prices to make me consider reloading. Reloading has a "startup" cost for the equipment but if you shoot much, then the savings will quickly add up...

...even with 9mm. The folks who proclaim that "there's no savings in reloading 9mm" either get their ammo at unbelievable cheap prices (not at Wal-Mart) or they need to brush up on their math skills. Simple equipment can be less than $200. I got a little higher grade equipment for two pistol calibers, with a number of bells and whistles, for slightly less than $600 - and recouped the initial investment in less than one year and 4000 rounds of 9mm reloads. Plus, I now shoot ammo which has been custom tuned to my pistols.
I had one Tula (or it may have been Monarch) primer failure out of 200 rounds of their ammo. I found this to be interesting because I've had zero failures when I've used their primers in around 2000 of my reloads.

In some of my store bought "plinking" ammo testing, I found the Remington UMC and Winchester grouped slightly better than Federal, Tula and RWS. I also good some good groups from Blazer Brass. My results using my pistol(s). Your pistol may like totally different ammo.
Old March 20, 2012, 07:41 PM   #12
barstoolguru

fed white box(100 rds) is a good deal for the price. if you want lucky gunner.com has a good deal on bulk buys.

some of the cheaper ammo will not cycle in subcompact guns because they are lighter loads and don't have enough gun powder;they will cause FTF/FTE
Old March 21, 2012, 01:54 PM   #13
ScotchMan

To answer your question specifically, I've fired Tulammo through my SR9c without issue. It is dirtier but it functioned fine.
Old March 21, 2012, 03:18 PM   #14
Itsjustjoe

I have a SR9c - which I love! I use the least expensive brass cased 9mm ammo I can find for most of my range trips; I also fire a few personal defense rounds each trip (I currently use Cor Bon 124gr +P JHP's) to ensure they cycle properly. For range ammo, I prefer the Federal Champion (which I buy at Wal Mart for 19.99 for 100 rounds), but when they are out of stock, I buy Winchester White Box (from Academy or BassPro for 22.99 for 100 rounds). Recently, I bought 2 boxes of Magtech (10.99 for 50 rounds per box) from a LGS. My SR9c has never had a single hiccup in around 1000 rounds so far.
Old March 22, 2012, 10:22 AM   #15
cetanner

Thanks to everyone for their input. I have one box of the Tulu ammo and the rest Federal Champion. All from Walmart. I will shoot the Tulu since I already purchased it and then stick to the Federal Champion.