The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 13, 2002, 09:18 PM   #1
Joe the Redneck

Converting a Bisley

I have a Bisley that I need to convert. It was made by ASM. I want to change the grip. I discovered that the grip from my low cost (cabalas) 1854 will fit. The opening for the trigger in the guard would have to be enlarged but as this part is made of brass I can handel it with the moto-tool. My question is regarding the hammer. I will have to replace it with a standard SAA hammer. I can buy one from EMF. How hard is it to change the hammer? What is the procedure to change it out? Also, will a standard SAA main spring be long enough?

Any help would be great.
Joe
Old August 14, 2002, 08:41 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Joe,

Changing the hammer is no problem. Watch how the parts come out and you should be able to get things back together with no problem. You first remove the backstrap, then the mainspring screw (bottom of the front strap) and the mainspring. Then remove the trigger guard, unscrew the screw holding the cylinder stop/trigger spring and remove it. Then unscrew the three screws in the frame. The cylinder stop and trigger will drop out. The hammer and hand have to be pulled down and out of the frame. Replace the hammer, then put in the hammer screw and put

The usual problem in doing this conversion is that the back of the frame and the backstrap are made higher for the Bisley so that the standard back strap won't fit. If you have tried it and it does fit OK, or you are willing to cut the frame down to match, the conversion should work. Otherwise, it looks like heck.

If the gun has a true Bisley trigger, you might have to alter the trigger guard as well, but most of the new "Bisley" types have standard triggers.

Jim