The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2014, 08:48 PM   #26
Sevens

AHEM.
That's "Glock FOTAY!"
Old January 15, 2014, 11:33 PM   #27
totalloser

Check mag release. If the mag release wears, the mag sits too low and the bullet hangs up on the feed ramp. Inexpensive part, aftermarkets available. Easy fix.

It is my opinion that extended base mags on subcompacts exacerbate wear on this component by causing recoil force friction movement on this part. I wore out mine on my g27. Shot a LOT before having a problem though.
Old January 22, 2014, 08:46 PM   #28
jjcbuck

OK - so recognizing that I had no clue why I would run into a problem after running so many rounds through this gun and using the same brass, components and load - I decided to just start from step one and reset all of the dies. Presto! Problem is gone. Ran 20 rounds through it at home and then 50 rounds last night at our defensive pistol group and it ran flawlessly. I usually load several thousand rounds at a time and the rounds I was having trouble with were the last batch and were loaded about six months ago. Lock ring slipped??? Had to be user error for failure to keep close watch. I now have 700 rounds to pull and re-do.
Thanks to Sarge and to Sevens for the time you took and your advice.
I will now be resetting all my dies (.380, 9mm and .45 which are all running fine) just to stay out of the woods, and doing so more often.

Thanks again.
Old January 22, 2014, 08:59 PM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

You may not need to pull and redo them. Measure the differences. A Lee Factory Crimp Die might solve your problem.
Old January 24, 2014, 04:20 PM   #30
WESHOOT2

crimp will not secure a bullet

I just want to say congratulations to the OP for resolving his issue.
It takes patience to clear off certain errors.

Next step: Find out exactly 'what went wrong', and include process changes to preclude any recurrence.

FWIW, I push MY loaded cartridges bullet-first into my (unmoveable) bench using my full 185lb body weight; not joking.

Last edited by WESHOOT2; January 24, 2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: mine's a 5" fullsize in 45 and 400 CorBon w/custom serial #
Old January 24, 2014, 04:22 PM   #31
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Crimp will not secure the bullet but the FCD has a carbide sizing ring that makes sure the finished round is within spec. It will size the case, bullet and all.
Old January 24, 2014, 04:24 PM   #32
WESHOOT2

I use LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Dies in 9x19, 9x21, 38 Super, 40 S&W, 10mm, 41 AE, and 45 ACP.
Mostly; I use other dies in certain other applications.
Old January 26, 2014, 06:39 PM   #33
onegun2

glock 40 problem

Is the new recoil spring the same weight as origional? I had this problem when I tried to use a lighter recoil spring.
Old January 26, 2014, 06:42 PM   #34
onegun2

Glock 40 problem

Is the new recoil spring the smae weight as origional? I had this problem when I tried to use a lighter recoil spring.

Last edited by onegun2; January 26, 2014 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Sorry this is posted to wrong discussion