The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2012, 12:27 PM   #76
Tactical Jackalope

Ejecting the round does this. With either extractor.

Damn this is a hard jam to clear still. At the range it was this hard too.

Uggghhhh

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt Series 70 /SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / Kahr CW9 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Android
Old September 6, 2012, 01:33 PM   #77
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
IF you have your extractor tensioned correctly and the claw is set up at the proper angle, again IF, then I begin to wonder what your breech face looks like and possibly your ejector.

A really good read when considering 1911s would be:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/199...rry-kuhnhausen

Now, go figure...
Old September 6, 2012, 01:43 PM   #78
Tactical Jackalope

Flipping out right now...what if it's just a dud?

1911 guy's more knowledgeable in the smith department. I summon thee.

AZAK, put in the new one just now. Haven't shot it..But it still isn't dripping the round. -___-

going to my uncles after work. $600 paperweight better not be what I bought.
Old September 6, 2012, 05:13 PM   #79
AZAK

Can you post a couple of pictures of the end of the slide; the end where you insert the extractor, and where the firing pin stop fits. (With the slide fully assembled.)

Now, go figure...
Old September 6, 2012, 05:28 PM   #80
Tactical Jackalope

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt Series 70 /SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / Kahr CW9 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Android
Old September 6, 2012, 09:18 PM   #81
Stevie-Ray

Man, that looks like a well-fitted Colt. You may benefit from an extended ejector, or maybe even a new normal one, especially if the previous owner was practicing with a Dremel on the original. Some think they can "better" the originals' flight plan, especially if the brass is hitting them on the noggin. Some can, but most butcher it. An extended was put on my Mark IV for this purpose. It helped quite a bit. And you said yours was shaped funny.
Old September 6, 2012, 09:22 PM   #82
Tactical Jackalope

Stevie, I already put in the new one. It's still messing up. Has to be something else now.

It sticks out too much. Not gripping the casing tight enough upon ejecting. Don't know what else it could be. Having it looked at soon by my uncle who works on 1911's. I only see him on holidays mostly.

Can't wait to fix tbthe problem so I can start customizing.

sent from my Android
Old September 6, 2012, 09:27 PM   #83
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Stevie, I already put in the new one. It's still messing up.
An ejector? I thought you put in a new extractor.
Old September 6, 2012, 09:51 PM   #84
Tactical Jackalope

Oh! Sorry! Long day. Ejector? You think it's that? It looks fine to me.

The extractor is what's still loose. And it's an entirely new one too. So maybe it's something worse with that department?

sent from my Android
Old September 7, 2012, 02:46 AM   #85
AZAK

I am not sure if you have understood the adjusting tension concept; you have not mentioned that you have attempted adjusting the tension on either extractor.

Here is a quick/down and dirty look at extractor tension:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-Xo...eature=related

Just because you have a new part doesn't mean that it is properly adjusted/tensioned for your particular 1911. 1911s are NOT plug and play.

You could also take the extractor out of your SA and try it out in your Colt; you know that the tension on that extractor is working in your SA. (However, do realize that it is possible to "throw' the adjustment "off" just by taking it out/in of the tunnel; depending on how it is done. And that each particular specimen can be a "different animal" as it were.)

There are jigs and ways of using weights/measurements to adjust tension. Just curious if you have an understanding of what is involved; Hunter Customs mentions a bit more of the "advanced" tuning that can be involved in an earlier post.

And again a truly good resource is the Jerry K book that I linked in an earlier post.

Now, go figure...
Old September 7, 2012, 08:22 AM   #86
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I am not sure if you have understood the adjusting tension concept; you have not mentioned that you have attempted adjusting the tension on either extractor.

You're right, cause I didn't want to both on the Colt extractor. So I thought the Wilson was plug and play. Guess I gotta change that.

Quote:
Just because you have a new part doesn't mean that it is properly adjusted/tensioned for your particular 1911. 1911s are NOT plug and play.
Just learned the hard way..

Quote:
You could also take the extractor out of your SA and try it out in your Colt; you know that the tension on that extractor is working in your SA. (However, do realize that it is possible to "throw' the adjustment "off" just by taking it out/in of the tunnel; depending on how it is done. And that each particular specimen can be a "different animal" as it were.)

Blah...well that's just not cool. I'll pass on having another messed up 1911. One is enough. I'd imagine it's the same feeling when one of your kids is sick? (I wouldn't know, I'm not a father, I'd imagine)

Quote:
And again a truly good resource is the Jerry K book that I linked in an earlier post.
I'll get that one day..I don't want to buy a book and wait a week for it or longer and still not understand what I'm reading. "/

I'm anxious to fix this thing asap. Not too many competent gunsmiths down here that I trust my 1911's with anymore.

I think I may send it out to someone soon..

Thanks for the help AZAK, I don't think I can pull off all that stuff with weight and measurements and all that fun stuff. Not a good time to start learning for me right now anyways.

Guess I'll just pay to get it fixed.
Old September 7, 2012, 05:12 PM   #87
Buzzcook

deleted.
Old September 8, 2012, 01:30 PM   #88
Tactical Jackalope

It's at the Smith right now. He's going to look at it on Monday.

No one has had this issue before? On this entire forum...speak now!

please...

sent from my Android
Old September 8, 2012, 01:34 PM   #89
WVsig

I believe that it is nothing more than extractor tension. Once the extractor is properly tensioned it should run. If it does not then there could be something dimensionally wrong with the pistol but if I had to put money on it its the extractor.

Again I am not a tinkerer when it comes to 1911s but this a pretty common cause of feeding issues and it has an easy fix.
Old September 8, 2012, 02:02 PM   #90
Tactical Jackalope

That made me happy reading that. One Smith today said the gun has terrible machining and kept trying to show me something that I (unbiased towards him) wasn't seeing. Something about the space where the firing pin comes out from being smaller than my gold cup etc etc. O.o <--- made that face, backed away slowly. Thanked him for "his time" and took it to someone else.

sent from my Android
Old September 8, 2012, 04:23 PM   #91
Eghad

Drop in parts are not always drop in.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...tor_Adjustment

NRA Life Member
Old September 8, 2012, 05:39 PM   #92
ET.

One day I'll buy a 1911 like this one that I can tear apart and completely rebuild to my specifications. But first I have to learn how to reload...and time is running short.
Old September 13, 2012, 07:30 AM   #93
Tactical Jackalope

Blaaaaaaaaah.....the Smith says it's the extractor. He didn't know I JUST changed it. The Wilson Combat extractor is in there.

He says it's just "dangling around in there" he told the salesmen to tell me. Cause he wasn't there.

Gonna take the original Colt one and see what he says.

sent from my Android
Old September 13, 2012, 05:55 PM   #94
Tactical Jackalope

So went by the shop today..to give the man the original Colt extractor. When I got there to leave it the salesmen asked why the new one didn't fix it. I said I haven't shot it with the new one yet, wanted him to look over it first anyways.

He took it to the back, know them so o went with. Fresh mag, 7rds rapid fired faced down into a barrel. Flawless. Couldn't believe it so handed the spare mag cause I was carrying the SIG 1911 8rds flawless.

Took it home. Here now. Inserted a new mag out of curiosity. Went to hand eject it. -____- got stuck. The very same way.

Yeah yeah. You cant move as fast as the gun when it shoots. Well doesn't matter. I can move fast and strong enough to empty a chamber of any handgun I own. Did it with the whole mag and out of 8 only 2 just barely plopped out.

-.-

sent from my Android
Old September 14, 2012, 12:42 PM   #95
AZAK

Quote:
the Smith says it's the extractor. He didn't know I JUST changed it. The Wilson Combat extractor is in there.

He says it's just "dangling around in there" he told the salesmen to tell me. Cause he wasn't there.
Quote:
Took it home. Here now. Inserted a new mag out of curiosity. Went to hand eject it. -____- got stuck. The very same way.
So, did the smith ever adjust the extractor? Either extractor? And have you shot it at the range yet?

Now, go figure...
Old September 14, 2012, 01:01 PM   #96
Tactical Jackalope

He didn't.

I'm taking it to the range today with my girlfriend

sent from my Android
Old September 14, 2012, 01:43 PM   #97
Tactical Jackalope

I don't know how it fired just fine all of a sudden with a drop in extractor. But won't hand eject.

Going to the range in just a few hours. As I stated from my cellphone post. With the girlfriend, and we'll see how it does.

Taking with me a bunch. Just because it's her first time. I usually take 1 or 2. 3 tops. I'm not a child I swear. lol Want to see what she likes from what I have.

SIG 226, 70 Series, SIG 1911 XO, Glock 19 and 34, S&W .22 of some sort and a Phoenix arms .22.

This 70 Series better not upset me again. Even though it still doesn't had eject a round -___-
Old September 14, 2012, 02:20 PM   #98
Hunter Customs

It's always hard to second guess these things over the internet.

Anyway, if the gun is ejecting fine when firing the gun keep in mind the fired brass is much shorter then a loaded round.

If the gun fails to eject loaded rounds the ejector may be to long or the angle on the ejector nose may be wrong.

Keep in mind Colt's fix for this that you see on series 80 Colts.

Colt opened up the ejection window by lowering the height of the port and also cut a scallop at the front of the port to clear the bullet of a loaded round.

This may be whats needed if the gun fails to eject loaded rounds.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old September 14, 2012, 02:37 PM   #99
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
It's always hard to second guess these things over the internet.

Anyway, if the gun is ejecting fine when firing the gun keep in mind the fired brass is much shorter then a loaded round.

If the gun fails to eject loaded rounds the ejector may be to long or the angle on the ejector nose may be wrong.

Keep in mind Colt's fix for this that you see on series 80 Colts.

Colt opened up the ejection window by lowering the height of the port and also cut a scallop at the front of the port to clear the bullet of a loaded round.

This may be whats needed if the gun fails to eject loaded rounds.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

If it needs all that, I may second guess doing anything extra to the gun. I'll report back here when I'm at the range and after. If it shoots and doesn't hand eject? Then it will be only a range gun and I may even sell it in that case. That's a little ridiculous to own such a weapon.

I'd like for a well knowledgeable gun smith to look of it for me. Guess I'll just see how it does till then, so I can decide what to do with it. It's really difficult online or over the phone.

Might just send her your way for repairs!
Old September 15, 2012, 09:16 AM   #100
Tactical Jackalope

Alright...Range report.

Colt shot better, but still malfunctioned the same way several times.

My final word on it? I don't trust it yet so far. Why is it my final word if tomorrow is another day? I just have a grim outlook on life.

So.....I don't know what to do with this thing. Probably sell it. If anyone wants it, the original amount I paid is on this thread. I won't expect that, but let's be nice.

As for the other guns...Let's just say it was a great accuracy range session.

Yet a really, really crappy reliability range session. I feel like throwing them into a canal cause the other guns haven't done this to me before. Seems like they were mocking the cool kid in class. (Colt 70)

Glock 19...I understand, it's a gen 4 so the trigger jobs you do on a gen 3 just doesn't work. This gun has been giving me problems from the get. This time..Instead of squeezing the trigger and nothing happening but the trigger returning to the forward position.

It stayed back as you shot it. Not every round. But every so often. Often enough. I'd say maybe 7-8 times. Which for me, sucks.

Glock 21 - slide didn't like forward once or twice. Might of been user error so whatever.

SIG P226...same thing. Again probably user error. Never happened to me before on the aforementioned gun or this one so that's weird.

SIG 1911 XO - FLAWLESS!!!!! Love it! Wanted to carry it today...Finally got it a darn holster. That damn flat side is so hard to find. So instead of my usual Don Hume, I went with what I could. Uncle Mike's -__- Well carried it after I came home and cleaned it last night and I've had it on me since. (I don't sleep sometimes). Felt great...I don't know why, when I came home and finished cleaning the rest of the guns. I put it in the safe and put on my P226.
Don't know why...

Glock 34 - flawless

stupid little phoenix 22 was flawless too, but a B to put back together. S&W .22 was as well.

NOW.....

The lady...my lady...

Flawless! lol didn't complain. Shot the .22, 9mm, .45 and all immaculate aim and grouping! For her first time. She made me so proud. She wanted to keep shooting. She did, awesome job. Really happy about that.

Ok....the rest had nothing to do with the topic. But just extra...for fun. Have fun reading it I guess..

Back to business..that Colt 70 series...Possibly for sale. Don't like any gun I can't trust. If someone else here wants to work on it, or they think they can fix it. Let me know. I want it fixed really badly. Just getting tired of trying to figure out what's wrong with it.

I have a tendency to over think things. So if I am let me know. Also if I'm jumping the gun on any drastic moves.

Thanks all. Much love.