The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2001, 03:59 PM   #1
_YoYo_

Getting Started - .45 ACP

Hi, I have posted on here before with questions about rifle reloading. But I know am interested in pistol reloading. I have just started shooting IDPA so my need for cheap pistol ammunition is true. I do not have any reloading equipment, and I don't have any reloading knowledge. I do have Winchester White Box brass I have been saving. I am on a tight budget, how would you recommend I go about getting started. O yeah the caliber is .45 Auto. Thanks for any info.
Old July 17, 2001, 04:29 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

You reload for rifles? So you have everything except .45ACP dies and maybe a powder measure? Got some sort of tumble polisher?

I strongly recommend a carbide resizing die. That's the only thing I would buy as brand-new. Any other stuff you need, see if you can find good-used stuff at a gunshow.

5.8 grains of 231 powder behind a 200-grain SWC bullet will give you about 850 ft/sec.

Since your budget apparently doesn't allow for a progressive such as the Dillon, be resigned to some drudgery while your bankroll builds up. However, it'll keep you out of the beer-joints of an evening.

As far as "How-to", it's a three-die system. First, resize; then, de-cap and bell the case mouth (slightly); and then after re-priming and putting in powder, seat and taper-crimp. You'll have to work out an overall length for reliable feeding in your pistol. No biggie.

, Art
Old July 17, 2001, 04:37 PM   #3
Chris McDermott

Get a Dillon SquareDeal B reloader. Doing IDPA you will need enough ammo for practice and matches that a single-stage press is just too slow; other progressive presses are $100+ more. Square Deal B's are limited to pistol calibers only, but later you can get a single-stage press for rifle reloading or another progressive and still be able to churn out your 45ACP. You'll need accessories like a couple of reloading manuals (more is better), a dial caliper to measure OAL length and taper crimp, a powder scale to set and check the powder measure on the press, a primer flip tray, extra primer tubes and a maintenance kit for the press are handy to have also. Then buy some powder, primers and bullets for the load you picked from a loading manual and start loading. It helps if you know someone who already does reloading to give you pointers as you learn to use your press. This isn't the cheapest way to start reloading ($350-$400?), but a single stage press will only save you about $100 and you won't be happy with the amount of time it will take you to load your ammo.
Old July 17, 2001, 04:46 PM   #4
_YoYo_

The squaredeal B looks like what I need. What is a primer flip tray and primer tubes? where do i pick them up at?
Old July 17, 2001, 05:07 PM   #5
Chris McDermott

A primer tube is the primer "magazine" for the press, you have to get them from the company that makes the press. (Select "next page" a couple of times from the link above and you'll reach the right page). Along the way you will run into the primer flip tray - a magical piece of plastic that makes all of the primers dumped on it go right side up when shaken a little. This makes loading the primer tubes much easier than trying flip each primer right side up with your fingers.
Old July 17, 2001, 05:40 PM   #6
Redneck2

Go down the page here

If you go down the threads to "considering reloading" it will give a lot of info.....Just got back into reloading and it's a lot of fun and really pretty easy once you figure it out. Oh...I'd suggest WW231 powder...seems to be what most of the guys use. I bought Unique and it's dirtier.
Old July 17, 2001, 05:48 PM   #7
JohnK

The SDB is a good reloader if all you ever want to do is load for handguns, but if you want to load for your rifles as well you'll need a different loader. There have been many threads here about which loader is better etc etc, my recommendation is to search for "Dillon" that will pull up most if not all of the reloader threads.

Once you've done that go out and by a Dillon RL550

http://www.handloads.com
Molan Labe!
Old July 17, 2001, 05:51 PM   #8
Steve Smith

What Redneck2 said. Read that post, then ask questions here. (Not to be rude, but we're a little out of breath from having just answered that one yesterday).

If you think you might load for rifles, get the Dillon 550b. The Square Deal B won't do 'em.

Watch Ebay for good deals on presses and other reloading stuff.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member