The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old November 17, 2011, 07:51 PM   #1
PT-Partners

Subscription Notices by email

Sir. I recently became active on the Firing Line again. I have instant notification in my profile for threads I have subscribed to. My email address is current. I am not receiving any notices. I checked with the owner of my server and he has not received any email notices from the firing line. What am I doing wrong. I will check this thread again as I am not receiving email notices.

Thanks for any assistance.

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com
Old November 17, 2011, 10:45 PM   #2
tyme
Staff

Your mailserver is being extremely picky about what it accepts. It's rejecting the user@host smtp envelope address tfl was sending mail from. The vast majority of mailservers ensure that host is valid, but not that mail for user@host is accepted.

The envelope from address is now accepted, but I'm not sure that's a good permanent solution, because that mail ends up going nowhere and is read by no one. I'm not in favor of that, because if mail isn't automatically processed or forwarded to a human, IMO it shouldn't be accepted at all.

The vbulletin notifications are entirely automated and there should not be a reason to ever need to reply to one, hence why the return address was not accepted.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old November 17, 2011, 10:50 PM   #3
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I looked at your settings, but didn't see anything that would stop you from receiving notifications.

According to what is set, this is the only thread you are subscribed to.

ETA: Ah, tyme got to it!
Old November 18, 2011, 06:19 AM   #4
PT-Partners

Dear Sir

Thank you both for the response. Do I need to do anything on my end.

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com
Old November 18, 2011, 09:36 AM   #5
MADman

Quote:
It's rejecting the user@host smtp envelope address tfl was sending mail from
It would be helpful to know what the "user@host" is so that I can add an exception.

The mail server is checking to ensure that the sender is valid. It would be easy to correct if it was coming from thefiringline.com

--Mark
Old November 18, 2011, 09:47 AM   #6
MADman

never mind, I found out what it is.

--md
Old November 18, 2011, 01:36 PM   #7
tyme
Staff

The from address is now accepting mail, if I wasn't clear in my first post. It looks like at least one other mailserver was rejecting email for the same reason.

I'm curious if you consider that anti-spam measure to be productive? It's on the aggressive fringe of anti-spam measures...
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)