The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 16, 2009, 07:55 AM   #1
N.H. Yankee

What round count do you swap your GO-TO gun?

I was pondering this, many of us use a gun for daily carry, or our jobs demand one. How many rounds do you put down the tube before you feel its time for a fresh horse? Throughout the years I usually had twins of my carry guns, one for heavy practice, and one for carry and casual practice. The guns I do not have a twin of I usually look at 10k as a consideration.

yeah I shoot alot, I am retired and have a range behind my house. Then again with the price of ammo and componants lately I may have to get a part time job to finance my habit.

After years and thousands of rounds, one may expect parts failure. I have a few guns that I have lost count, 3 CZ's and a S&W PC40 that has to have at least 15K and still running like new, and a family of 1911's. We all realize maintenance and the usage of +p +p+ ammo is a huge factor as well.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:14 AM   #2
txstang84

Realistically yankee, for many modern firearms this is a really subjective question. I've known some people to keep a firearm and keep shooting it until the bore is shot out. One of the salesmen at the Academy where I purchased my Glock said he had over 90k rounds through his model 17. Some others only keep one until the "new" wears off.

But, I really don't think a "round count" is a sufficient judge as to whether or not you keep any firearm. If parts start breaking after 10k rounds, and you still like the gun-wall hanger

Conversely, if it pulls an energizer, I'd continue using it (with routine preventative maintenance) until I either got sick of it, it broke, or I became unable to fire it.

just my .02
Old May 16, 2009, 11:32 AM   #3
Moe Howard

I guess it is really an individual answer. Years ago I had a Beretta 92f that I put over 250,000 rounds through before I finally lost count. I had the recoil spring, firing pin, and extractor changed out often enough I never had a single problem with that gun. I also changed the barrel out at about 175,000 rounds. In fact I sold it in good working condition. The safety had become loose over the years and the gun rattled a little but it still shot straight and reliable. Since then I have rotated my guns so often I have never come close to shooting that many rounds through one gun again. I am with you on having a twin of your primary carry gun, if it is a gun you are very partial to. I do not currently have any twins but there are a few in my collection that have potential for being rewarded with a twin. In short I guess I don't have a round count cut off point for a carry gun as long as I keep the hard working parts changed out before it gives any problems. That is one reason I prefer my most used guns to be fairly common, Beretta 92f/fs, 1911, etc. so parts are easy to come by.