The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 5, 2010, 09:23 PM   #1
N3rday

.22lr practice for future CAS?

I'm looking to pick up a .22lr rifle to learn basic marksmanship/rifle shooting skills. I don't have the time or money for Cowboy Action Shooting right now, but I might in the future. Which .22lr levergun would be best to get the hang of the platform and learn CAS skills? I'm talking in terms of approximating rapid fire, manual of arms, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old December 5, 2010, 09:25 PM   #2
seansean1444

what about the henry goldenboy in 22lr i think it is. nice levergun from what i have heard
Old December 6, 2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Zhillsauditor

Well, an 1866 Uberti in 22lr is about as close as you can get to a cowboy gun in 22lr, but they are hard to find and expensive ($500+). I love the Marlin 39a, but that is over $300 even for a used one. Probably a basic Henry is what you are looking for; they can be found for around $200 used, or $260 new. The henry yellowboy looks nice, but I don't think you gain anything beyond looks for the extra $100. JMO.

Take a good beginners shooting class if you've never shot before. I was lucky enough to have a friend who was an instructor run me through the basics before I even handled my first firearm.