The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 12, 2008, 04:30 PM   #1
Glck3419

Shooting left

So I been shooting a few inches left with my G19, and suggestions?
Old May 12, 2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Zak Smith

Press the trigger with the sights aligned and make sure they don't move as the trigger breaks.
Old May 12, 2008, 04:50 PM   #3
bplv

I have the same situation and it was suggested to me to shoot with the joint instead of the pad of the finger. I haven't made it back out to try though.
Old May 12, 2008, 08:53 PM   #4
re-pete

see if this helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TargetRightHanded.pdf (116.1 KB, 985 views)
Old May 12, 2008, 10:29 PM   #5
butterboy

That is the exact diagram that I was thinking about when I saw this thread.
My dad had that in business card form that we used to use at the range, Im glad you posted that because now I have a copy.
That should help anyone that has it, and thanks..
Old May 13, 2008, 08:37 AM   #6
Freakdaddy

You could also try taking a small step to the right!

BTW, welcome to our madness!
Old May 13, 2008, 09:20 AM   #7
Robs22

You're anticipating the shot.
Old May 13, 2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Dismantler

Is the Glock too big for your hand? They are too big for mine. From "The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery" 6th ed, page 51, by Massad Ayoob:

"When the gun doesn't fit and the finger can barely reach the trigger, it will tend to pull the whole gun inboard. That is, a right-handed shooter will tend to pull the shot to the left."

I also found that the recoil from 50 rounds of 9 mm bashed up my thumb, as the grip was too big for me to get my hand around, and the backstrap was hitting my thumb, a classic "h-grip."

Fortunately, I rented the Glock as I wanted to experience the wonder of Glocks before buying one. Nice gun. Small hands. No good.
Old May 13, 2008, 03:01 PM   #9
Glck3419

I actually have very big hands, one of my buddies who is a cop though the gun might be too small for me. I love the G19, just wish I could get the shot right a few inches. I think I'll try the more fingure and a lot of practice and see how it comes out.
Old May 13, 2008, 04:04 PM   #10
threegun

I own Glocks in 9mm, 40S&W, and 45acp. The 9mm is the only one with which it is easy to throw a round to the left. I don't know why. I use the same grip for all three calibers and the 40 frame is identical yet I rarely pull shots left with it despite its much stiffer recoil.
Old May 14, 2008, 03:06 PM   #11
ccw08

I watched an interesting dvd from Thunder Ranch called defensive handgun

In this video he shows you how to take the slack out of your trigger and slowly pull it instead of jerking the trigger

most of the time you shoot low left from anticipation or from jerking

get a snap cap or whatever those things are called now lol and practice trigger pulls. I have also read that the 22lr conversion for the glock helps too because you are shooting your gun with less recoil so food for thought lol
Old May 14, 2008, 04:40 PM   #12
threegun

In my case it still doesn't answer why there is a difference between the 9 and 40. Surely I pull with both with the same frequency yet the 9 goes left on me more often. BTW it isn't off to the left very much and usually confined to the left side of the bull.
Old May 14, 2008, 06:45 PM   #13
vox rationis

If while having good sight alignment and good front sight focus, the front sight DOESN'T BUDGE while dropping the hammer/striker...then your sights are misaligned

Or if the front sight budges right and you are shooting left, then your sights are REALLY misaligned
Old May 14, 2008, 09:38 PM   #14
AKGunner

You might want to get someone else to shoot your gun to see if the same thing happens to them. My guess, like the others, is that you are anticipating the recoil.

When I try to shoot really fast I tend to pull the shot a little low and left. That's pretty classic for a right handed shooter when they jerk the trigger.

Last weekend a fellow next to me was trying out his new big bore Ruger. He readily admitted to being a bit intimidated by the gun. He was shooting high and right with the full load ammo he had with him that day. He probably put 50 rounds through the gun at 15 yards and everyone of them was high and right. I offered my 1911 and light loads through my 500 mag and he shot pretty much dead on. I then asked if I could try his Ruger. It shot dead on and a little high for me at 15 years.

After seeing that it was his shooting and not the gun he settled down and started shooting more accurately. He then only occasionaly shot high and right.
Old May 17, 2008, 07:37 AM   #15
Spenser

I have a very annoying tendency to do that with both the g19 and g17. I don't with a 27, for some reason. I don't with any of my Sigs, either. Not at all with a 1911. I drifted my sights with both Glocks, and things are fine, now.

I've talked to quite a few people who tend to hit left with a Glock.
Old May 17, 2008, 07:54 AM   #16
parrothead2581

I am left handed and my shots have a tendency to land to the right with semi autos, but not revolvers, including big bores.

I have swapped out the long trigger in one of my 1911's for a short style. We'll see if that helps.

I'm guessing it's anticipation. The first few shots are dead on, and after that, they will often slowly begin moving to the right.

Any other thoughts? I do plenty of dry firing with no movement of the sights. I've tried using both the pad and the joint of my trigger finger.
Old May 17, 2008, 08:17 AM   #17
jhenry

Keep shooting the left until our country is safe again
Old May 17, 2008, 10:13 AM   #18
ccw08

I have discovered my flaws in shooting by having my wife videotape me shooting. Have someone stand on one side or the other ( behind the muzzle lol ) and have them video you shooting

YOU WILL see yourself flinching, that I will guarantee but the question is HOW MUCH

I have improved my shooting by 100% by just spotting my own flaws
Old May 17, 2008, 10:16 AM   #19
Threefeathers

I do the same thing with some double action autos. For some reason I seem to anticipate the shot that I don't do with my 1911's. I do it with all my Sigs and HK's but not the Taurus 92 or the EAA Witness. I'm going to do these drills as i really am comfortable with the HK P2K.
Old May 19, 2008, 09:12 AM   #20
threegun

Quote:
I have a very annoying tendency to do that with both the g19 and g17. I don't with a 27, for some reason.
Same here. In fact when I used to carry the 17 and 19 as primary self defense guns I had to drift the sight over. Now they are back to normal and my wife & sons concern.