The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2007, 04:17 PM   #1
jeo556

How short is too short?!?!

Newbie reloader here. I was wondering how short is too short when talking about case length? As an example, my reloading manual says that the cases should be trimmed to 2.484" and a couple of the new cases that I purchased were 2.480" Is that okay? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't know if there are any possible negative consequenses to cases that are too short.THANKS for any help and knowledge.

jeo556
Old March 9, 2007, 04:35 PM   #2
LSMNTBC

What caliber??? Are you sure that the manual said to trim to 2.480 max case length? or MIN case length. May try to reread the book. Trimmimng shorter tham min lenth gets you into trouble POssibly. Trimming to max lenth OK!!
Old March 9, 2007, 04:43 PM   #3
tINY

At that length, I'm gonna guess that it's not a straight-walled case.

You should be fine as long as there is enough neck to hold the bullet. 4 thousandths isn't that much on most cases.

For the most consistent performance, having all the cases exactly the same is better, but I wouldn't worry about that little variation at this satge.

-tINY

Old March 9, 2007, 05:08 PM   #4
mrawesome22

You're definately OK being .004" off. A human hair is around .003" in diameter. Just as a comparison. .004" is miniscule.
Old March 9, 2007, 08:06 PM   #5
jeo556

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate your knowledge. The cartridge that I am speaking of is the .25-06. The 2.484" that I spoke of earlier is NOT the max case length. I was refering to the Barnes reloading manual #3 which states that MAX length is 2.494" but to trim to 2.484". I just didn't know if there is a MIN case length where you would want to avoid using? I know that maybe my question was a bit ridiculous but I'm very precise and as a newbie I wanted to make sure.Thanks again

jeo556
Old March 9, 2007, 10:29 PM   #6
Ruger4570

For the most part, the only cartridges that length has a real bearing on is ones like the 45 ACP, 30 Carbine, and ones that use the overall length to keep headspace at permissible lengths. The worst you will do with various neck lengths in a rifle is limit your cases ability to grip the bullet the same as others, which will probably effect accuracy.
Old March 10, 2007, 07:31 PM   #7
jeo556

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help. While this thread is new and getting hits, and since I'm a total newbie to reloading.....Do you guys have a preference in dies, scales, and the likes. Anything that you've had tons of trouble with or maybe something that worked beyond your expectations? As far as a press goes I think that I already have my heart set on a RCBS Rockchucker that I'm getting second hand from a guy a work. Again, any and all help is appreciated.

Jeo556
Old March 10, 2007, 08:29 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

You're more than OK with that. I always trim about 0.015" below maximum. That way I don't have to trim again quite so soon.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 11, 2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old March 10, 2007, 11:33 PM   #9
rrp

jeo556,welcome to the forum and to reloading. You will have a great press in the Rockchucker. Anything that I have ever purchaced with RCBS on it has been great to work with. Their customer service has been very helpful and they back the products they sell. And remember that there is no dumb question. Most everybody on this forum will give it their best shot to help answer any problem you have. Again,welcome, and good shooting.
Old March 11, 2007, 01:52 AM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...a stupid question..." No such thing. Except the one not asked.
"...a couple of the new cases..." That's not unusual. You'll have to full length resize them anyway. You will need to chamfer the inside of the case mouths too. Aids in seating the bullets.
Trim-to lengths are for fired cases that have stretched. That stretching is normal. Follow your manual religiously and you'll be fine. Go buy a copy of The ABC's of Reloading too. Your local gun shop or Amazon.
"...that I'm getting second hand..." That's ok. Aside from the fact that you really have to work at damaging reloading kit, RCBS absolutely and completely stands behind their products. If you have any trouble, even with a used RCBS product, they'll fix it. Usually at no cost to you. No questions asked.
"...I always trim about 0.015" below minimum..." Don't do that. Follow your manual religiously.
Old March 11, 2007, 04:37 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

T-O'heir,

I meant to say 0.015" below maximum. Thanks for the catch. Fingers transposing the thought. I corrected it in my post. I'll add the caveat that I don't own any WSM or other super short-neck chamberings, and would worry about extra thousandths there.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle