The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2000, 02:05 PM   #1
Mike / Tx

I was curious if any of you'all have played around much with these bullets in your loading ? What calibers and weights were you shooting ? If so did you use them for hunting or competition purposes? How did they work out for you in the field or comp.?

Thanks,
Mike / Tx
Old April 17, 2000, 11:48 PM   #2
TAckerman

The AMAX is intended for reliable expansion in hunting applications and "Under Penetration" for social situations I.e., doesn't over penetrate walls and injure a good guy (or family member in the next room).

They serve no legitimate purpose for competition and as the FMJBTHP's still reign supreme IMHO.

They resemble the Nosler Ballistic Tip in expansion performance.

ACK
Old April 20, 2000, 07:05 PM   #3
MFH

I have used a few 162 gr. A-Max in my 7mm Rem Browning A-Bolt. Accuracy, for me, matched or exceeded Sierra 168 MK. with group sizes around 1/2MOA. According to Hornaday tech, these are designed for match accuracy. I was advised to use the 7mm 162 on game no larger than coyotes.

MFH
Old April 20, 2000, 10:04 PM   #4
lockandload

i am using the a-max in 7mm rem mag 162g.w/ imr4831. grouping is getting to be 5 shot in one hole @ 100yds.seating is somewhere in the 3.740 to 3.755 area.
Old April 21, 2000, 01:02 PM   #5
Mike / Tx

MFH & lockandload,

I have also flew some of the 162's out of the 7 Mag. I got a sample of some from a guy out at the range one day who said that HE was useing them for Elk. I thought that was kind of stupid but each to his own. I loaded them up and they shot really well as the load we already had worked up was with the regular Hornady 162 BTSP.

The main reason I posed the question was that I have a extreemly accurate load worked up with the AMax in 6.5 140 gr. for my daughters 6.5X55 and figured that at the lower velocity it might be ok for deer. I have found them to be easy to load with as far as finding a load. They shot well with six different powders through the whole spectrum of loads. I haven't found this to be the case with other bullets and this gun. In fact the only other bullet to come close was the Speer 140 and with only 2 powders. Before deer season rolls back around we plan on having a couple more choices to look at and to try them out on the hogs first. If they work well on a mid to large hog they will be ok for the light skinned deer we have here. OTOH they might just become our new LARGE varmit bullet.(GG)

Thanks for sharing the info and keep those groups tight.

Mike / Tx
Old April 21, 2000, 01:05 PM   #6
Mike / Tx

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TAckerman:
The AMAX is intended for reliable expansion in hunting applications and "Under Penetration" for social situations I.e., doesn't over penetrate walls and injure a good guy (or family member in the next room).

They serve no legitimate purpose for competition and as the FMJBTHP's still reign supreme IMHO.

They resemble the Nosler Ballistic Tip in expansion performance.

ACK
[/quote]

Have you used them on any game animals in the deer sized range and if so how was the performance?

Thanks Mike
Old April 21, 2000, 01:37 PM   #7
BMiracle

Despite what TACKERMAN has said, the AMAX was designed to be used in competition, not for hunting. My experience n .308 has proven the AMAX far superior to BTHP. These are excellent bullets. For hunting purposes I would use Hornadys SST (Super Shock Tipped) bullets. THESE are the bullets from hornady that are comparable to Noslers Ballistic Tip. The SST's drop large game instantly! I don't think that I would use a bullet designed for competition on animals, regardless of its similarities to a Ballistic Tip. If possible use the SST.
Old April 23, 2000, 10:49 AM   #8
Mike / Tx

BMiracle,
As for the AMax as a hunting bullet I was pretty sure that I was on the wrong track. I was hopeing however that due to the low velocity that we have them going, 2450+/-fps that we might just squeek by as far as them holding together. some of the penetration test we have done with them do indicate that they will definately be violent at first ut they seemed to be ok after a couple of inches. We recovered some of the bullets which had shed their core after hitting substantial resistance. This is not what we are looking for at all. I haven't tried them no anything other than targets and sorted media so was just wandering if anyone else had.

The Hornady SST sounds like a better choice but I haven't found them in this weight or caliber. I still have a couple of other loads to play with useing other bullets and will have things very well worked out before deer season rolls back around.

I appreciate your responce and hope that you have a great Easter.

Thanks,
Mike/ Tx