The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 30, 2005, 07:32 PM   #1
Schneider1953

Help me find my Ithaca Correct Model

I have inherited an Ithaca, Single Barrel, Ventilated rib, 12 guage, no safety, has engraving up the ying yang. The barrel and rib are blued while the receiver seems to be "case hardened finish"(?). The forearm is tapered from barren width at the base to at least 3.5 to 4.0 inches at the furthest end.

The ejection mechanism (inside) is machine jeweled, and the tightness (tolerance, not rust) is uncanny. No slop, just a precision fit.

The serial number is 272374 T I have identified the year as being produced in 1916 (by the serial number) but cannot find (anywhere) on the gun, a reference of a model number.

Somebody said it is a "flowes type" but is it a $5,000 model or a $1.00 model or was it custom made?

Any kind of help in identifying, would certainly be appreciated.

thanks in advance.....Schneider1953
Old November 30, 2005, 08:01 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Probably a trap grade Flues. Good in its time, but not at its best with high pressure ammo.

I strongly recommend you have a good smith go over it before firing.

It has some collector value if in good shape. Perhaps $2K.

HTH....
Old December 7, 2005, 12:32 PM   #3
Schneider1953

Thank you for your reply

Thank you for reading my question and answering it. I just need to know how I can tell the differences between grades of floes type Ithaca trap guns. The book has different values for each grade, and this gun does not show anywhere, what the model is. If you or anybody else can help me on judging which grade I have, it would be gratefully appreciated. This gun willnot be for sale, but rather, getting a good sense of value will help me in insuring this gun. Hope you see the perdiciment I am in.

Yours in shooting,

Schneider