The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 1, 2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Andrew DG

Buying A Silencer Online

I have been shopping around for a 22 silencer for awhile and have pretty much settled on a Spectre II. SilencerShop.com has them available for $295 and free shipping.

http://www.silencershop.com/shop/swr-spectre

Even with paying to have it transferred to my LGS this seems to be cheaper than trying to buy it from someone local. I have a few questions, however. $295 is over $100 below MSRP and almost seems too good to be true. Do any of you have experience with this website? Do you have any general opinions or advice on trying to buy silencers online?

There is a shop about an hour from where I live, and according to their website they are a Silencerco and SWR dealer, so my next step is to call them and see if they have what I am looking for and what their price is.
Old December 2, 2013, 02:50 AM   #2
Theohazard

Silencershop is a very reputable company. They're the biggest online suppressor dealer as far as I know. I have no personal experience, but I've heard many good things about them and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them.

Even with having to pay the transfer fee (plus sales tax in many states), it often comes out cheaper if you buy it online. But there's one very big catch; it takes a lot longer: The BATFE paperwork required to ship a silencer between manufacturers, distributors, and dealers is called a "Form 3". Unfortunately, Form 3s are taking about three months to process right now.

So that means that even if Silencershop has your silencer ready to ship the moment you buy it, they still can't send it to your LGS for about three months. But if you go to an LGS that has the silencer in stock, you can start your Form 4 paperwork immediately and be able to take the silencer home three months sooner.
Old December 2, 2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Andrew DG

Alright, I had heard that buying something that your LGS didn't have in stock would delay the whole process but I wasn't sure why. Thanks a lot for the helpful information.
Old December 3, 2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Lark

There is a delay. Buying from a local dealer requires transfer on a form 4. Buying from a dealer across state lines requires a dealer to dealer transfer on the ATF form 3, then the form 4 transfer. From what I hear the the tax free form 3 transfer takes several weeks to a few months. I was told my latest ATF form was going to take 9 months for approval from pending, it took 2 months to go pending.

lark
Old December 4, 2013, 12:28 AM   #5
medalguy

I bought a machine gun last year (2012) and the Form 3 dealer to dealer was filed in March 2012. The Form 4 was mailed Feb 2013 and I was told by Martinsburg it was approved at the end of November, but the dealer still has not received the paperwork. That's 20 months now for 2 transfers and still not done.

Be patient. The approval times now are running even longer. Some people are quoting 15 months on a Form 4.
Old December 4, 2013, 08:43 PM   #6
tmorone

Silencershop is a good company, I've done business with them. Silencedamerica is great as well.

The downside to buying online is that the dealer you pick it up from near your home will charge you a transfer fee- usually 50-100 for Title II weapons. I tend to factor in:
1. Local prices (and if it's available)
2. Online prices
3. The month or so it will take for the Form 3 (dealer to dealer)

How much is that extra month worth to you? To me, it's about $100. So if I can get something for $150-200 cheaper online that's where I'll make my purchase.

Also...you'll LOVE that Spectre II if that's the route you choose.
Old December 4, 2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorone
The month or so it will take for the Form 3 (dealer to dealer)
Form 3s are usually taking about three months these days; the NFA branch of the BATFE is extremely backed up due to the government shutdown and the run on silencers caused by the pending rule changes.
Old December 12, 2013, 09:42 AM   #8
1DrnkMxR

I've bought from them before and they are good to go. However, if you are able to find the suppressor locally, that would be your best option.

1) No form 3 dealer to dealer wait.
2) Your LGS will charge you a fee for the transfer.
3) You're supporting your LGS.

My experience with SilencerShop was a smooth and painless event and their prices are one of the lowest you'll ever find.
Old December 12, 2013, 01:51 PM   #9
Coach Z

Have bought several NFA items online, not from the shop you mentioned though. The only issue I have had is TWICE now when ordering from Bud's they have royally messed up the paperwork. I should strongly suggest avoiding Bud's when it comes to class 3 but other then that my experiences purchasing online have been good.