The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 16, 2013, 05:08 AM   #1
Homerboy

Loosening Up Duty Holster

Got a good deal on a Safariland 070 holster. Brand new. My 92 Vertec fits in there, but getting the gun out is very tough, and the rear snap is even harder to snap back on. I know holsters need break in periods, but this one is tighter than any other holster I have ever had. I have the gun in a sock sitting in the holster. Can't snap it, but it should stretch it a bit. I've heard about using silicon spray. Where do I get that? I guess just keep drawing and holstering should do it, but I'd like to get it to be usable sooner rather than later. Any ideas?
Old June 16, 2013, 08:06 AM   #2
saddler

Hi

One of the old books I have on pistol shooting suggests powdered graphite on the inside of a holster to improve withdrawal speed...but I know that such a material has a negative impact on aluminium frames.

If you want to stretch leather = 2 main options.

The BEST is warm water.
MUST only be hot enough to hold your hand in, no hotter...or the leather will cook.
Soak the part you need to stretch in the water, until the small bubbles stop.
Then, taking the now wet leather holster, insert the pistol & close the snap.
It WILL stretch (the leather will almost take on the property of putty & become very soft & pliable)
Keep it in place and allow to dry. (you may want to use cling film cover on the upper section of the pistol to keep from attracting rust)

The second, less invasive option.
Same as the soaking method, but use a hair dryer.
The problem here again is that if you go too hot = cooked leather, so take it gently!!
Get the leather section with the snap on it warm, then carry out the steps as above.

A third method would be to remove the offending snap, re-position/extend the hole by a fraction, then fit a new snap

Hope this helps
Old June 16, 2013, 09:47 AM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I thought Safariiland holsters were synthetic with leather lining. If so, soaking them in water won't stretch them.

Many of us used the 070 holster. I suggested to anyone who was issued that new holster to take their rig home and practice drawing 1,000 times. This training was to develop muscle memory reflex so that they were conditioned to break both snaps and pull back to get their service weapon. It also helped with their draw speed (shed sweat, not blood) and smoothness. Anyone who followed this suggestion were evident at the range.
Old June 16, 2013, 01:37 PM   #4
arizona98tj

I just finished breaking in a new holster which too was the tightest holster I'd ever came across. Took about two weeks to get it where I wanted it. When I wasn't wearing it, I wrapped my XDs45 in about 4 layers of thick plastic bag material (think Ziploc plastic bag)and left it all in the holster. Draws perfectly now.

The above method was advice obtained from two different holster makers that are quite respected in the industry. I trust their advice....why would they recommend something to their customer (me) that did work or worse, ruined the holster.
Old June 16, 2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Homerboy

Thanks, gary. I know use loosens it up. This isn't my first duty holster. Had quite a few during my career. But this one is super tight. I have a sock around the gun and it has loosened up a bit. The issue I am having is snapping the strap around the trigger guard. It's gotten better. I'll leave the sock on in there for a few more days.
Old June 16, 2013, 04:10 PM   #6
medic15al

What I have done is put the gun in the holster and use a hair drier to heat the holster up causing the leather and composite to expand. Leave the gun(in a bag) it the holster let it cool back to room temp and it will reconform itself to your pistol better.
Old June 17, 2013, 03:15 PM   #7
rayban

Sounds like the strap needs a bit of stretching......hold the middle of the strap under HOT running water for just a couple seconds, then quickly stretch it over to snap when you have the gun in place in the holster...then let set over-night.
NO...you won't ruin anything.