The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 5, 2010, 04:03 PM   #1
1chig

25 short mag problem

My friend just bought a used browning 25 short mag rifle, i dont know what model but anyway he also bought a new box of ammo to go with it. I am assuming win.ammo the problem is he has fired the gun about a half a box worth and the neck split on 4 of these new casings. They have not been reloaded, but the split looks just like a case that has been reloaded to many times, iv seen this in reloaded ammo but never in factory ammo. Im sure this cant be a common thing for this cal. but iv never owned one. I reload all my ammo and have seen split necks before and that is what it looks like. does anyone know anything about this. sorry if i left out any facts. all shos were on target and shot good and no trouble ejecting..
Old January 5, 2010, 04:29 PM   #2
snuffy

Well if it IS a 25 short mag, those shells ARE handloaded. There isn't any such thing as a factory chambered 25 short mag. Make darn sure it is a 25 WSM. It could also possibly a 25 WSSM.

In either case, those cases would have to be necked down 7mm WSM or 270 WSM. Or necked up 243 WSSM. Doing either would seriously work harden the brass, making it prone to cracking.splitting.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 5, 2010, 05:38 PM   #3
steve4102

Quote:
Well if it IS a 25 short mag, those shells ARE handloaded. There isn't any such thing as a factory chambered 25 short mag. Make darn sure it is a 25 WSM. It could also possibly a 25 WSSM.

In either case, those cases would have to be necked down 7mm WSM or 270 WSM. Or necked up 243 WSSM. Doing either would seriously work harden the brass, making it prone to cracking.splitting.
I believe he is referring to the 25 WSSM. It is a factory chambering and ammo is available from Winchester, no necking up or down required.
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/wssm25_1119/

I have of heard this before. Not only in the WSSM, but in the factory WSM line. I believe it has to do with some bad lots of Win Brass. Save the split brass and contact Winchester. Might get some free ammo out of the deal
Old January 5, 2010, 06:57 PM   #4
1chig

it is a 25 wssm , super short mag and they are factory rounds. I have just never heard of factory rounds splitting the necks and was wandering what might be causing this if it would be the gun or the ammo and any imfo would be appreciated thanks much
Old January 5, 2010, 08:22 PM   #5
snuffy

Well, before I posted that, I did a search on Winchesters website. No mention of ANY of the super short cartridges in ANY model 70's. Now, I just did the same thing on the Browning site. No WSSM's to be found/offered in any of the A-bolt guns.

Another long look at Browning, no BAR's and no BLR's offered in the WSSM, any of the WSSM loadings. Looks like they're not being made anymore. Not surprised, they're notorious barrel burners, even after being chrome lined to give the SOME barrel life.

I wasn't aware they had gone up to a 25 WSSM. Tell your friend to buy every shell he can get his hands on, so he will be able to shoot it long enough to site in and hunt.

As far as the split necks, it's not dangerous as long as the body of the shell seals the chamber. It does no favors for the chamber to be exposed to hot gases, but the body seal with the chamber will keep the gases from escaping.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 5, 2010, 09:39 PM   #6
1chig

snuffy, so what you are telling me is they are not making the rifles , win. or brning anymore and also not making the ammo for the 25 wssm. if so it sucks for my friend who just bought one and cant save most off his factory brass , to be reloaded.
Old January 5, 2010, 11:13 PM   #7
snuffy

They would most likely still make some ammo. It may be one run of one bullet weight every 6 months or so. New brass might be available as well.

This is what everybody thought was going to happen to the WSM line of cartridges. They are all offered in Winchester and Browning rifles, as well as Savage and other makers.