The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 1999, 03:26 AM   #1
six 4 sure

I need some advise on a 97 I saw a few days ago at the local gun shop that I'm thinking about buying.
First let me tell you the condition it is in, and then what I want to do with it.
Said gun has been midified (butchered) to be useed as a pucker gun. It has a 30"+ drawn barrel, it has been welded in such a way the gun can no longer be taken down, something has been done to the magazine tube making it impossible to load addiitonal ahells, it has been drilled an tapped for a scope, and the action is such it will fill while partially open, and the finish is very rough, it look as if parts may have painted,
The good news it is cheep, and very negotiable, the owner of the shop told me he would cut me a good deal, because there is not much of a market for pucker guns in my area.
Now here's what I'd like to do with it. I'd like the final product to resemle the trench gun version I've seen, basically something to take camping. I plan on cutting the barrel to 18 or 20", and probably rebluing it at some point. However, I like to be able to take down the gun, and I want to fix the magazine tube problem. I really don't want a single shot pump gun.
Does anyone have any experience working on 97's? Are they hard to work on? How difficult is it to find parts? Does anyone make accessories for them, I'd really like the bayonet lug.
Suggestions? Insights? Comments?
What would be the best first step in a project like this?
Would my best bet be waiting and trying to find a 97 in better condition?

------------------
As to marksmanship, it is not what you once did, rather it is what you can do on demand.

[This message has been edited by six 4 sure (edited December 08, 1999).]
Old December 8, 1999, 01:55 PM   #2
Grayfox

Sounds like more trouble than its worth to me. I wouldn't want any gun than had been welded so that it couldn't be taken apart. If anything, it would only be usable as a parts gun to repair a better 97. I'd pass on it.
Old December 10, 1999, 11:21 AM   #3
TheOtherMikey

I wouldn't fool with that gun. Look around at a gun show in your area. I saw several at a gunshow in Phoenix last weekent. One in particular was nice (albiet well worn and aged) and the dealer was asking $200 for it....believe it could have been bought for less though. Regards, Mikey
Old December 13, 1999, 05:16 AM   #4
Ned Roundtree

Pass on that gun. Your going to spend more money putting into safe shape than to shop a litle more for a safe gun. IMHO

------------------
An armed society is a polite society.
Old December 18, 1999, 12:52 AM   #5
six 4 sure

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna keep my eye out for one in better shape. Since I still plan on buying one some time, can anyone tell me how hard parts are to find?
Old December 18, 1999, 07:41 AM   #6
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Gun Parts Corp, Jack First, Penn. Gun Parts and others all stock Win 97 parts. There were many 97s made and parts aren't usually much of a problem.