The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old January 19, 2013, 03:05 PM   #1
hooligan1

Guess what I saw at the range today?

First of all the rifle season for deer in Missouri Is over, when I got to the range today there were about 100 cars already there, with a line out the door.
If this is a reaction to what the president may or may not do, where in the hell is this going?
Usually the two weeks before deer season is the annual "sight in days" so it's always full up, maybe fifty cars.
I have'nt seen anything like this! On the way home we stopped at an indoor pistol range, and there was cars parked out in the street! I did find a lb of powder I needed and it was their last pound of that powder.... wow.... wow...
Old January 19, 2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Metal god

It's gun appreciation day . Went to my LCS and had to take a number . I picked # 46 , they were on # 2 . 40 min later they were on # 9 . I gave my number to the next guy that came in the door and left . .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 19, 2013, 06:34 PM   #3
PetahW

It's a feeding frenzy, alright - and the media & the pols keep chummin' the water.........

Old January 19, 2013, 06:43 PM   #4
David13

I thought of going to the range, maybe tomorrow. I was sure I would not be able to find any space there today, with gun appreciation day.
The last few times at the outdoor range, the last few months, it was packed. Barely any room to shoot.
But today? I knew it would be too crowded. Probably tomorrow as well.
The only time I had plenty of room in the last few months, here in the greater Los Angeles area, was with a private range. We didn't have 10 people but we had close to 100 yards of 300 yard (downrange) space.
It was a long walk to get over to the other guys shooting.
I hear the ammo parking lot sale (Inglewood) had a block long line an hour before they opened today.
Not worth trying to get in.
dc
Old January 19, 2013, 09:20 PM   #5
barnbwt

It's all a conspiracy to separate us from our earnings! (Evil back-door economic stimulus plan)

Mesquite, TX, gunshow, btw, about 1/3 of the floor (forgive the blurry cellphone pic)

On the bright side, much more diverse crowd than I have seen at any gunshow (I'm pretty sure there were even some cattle in that room )

TCB
Old January 19, 2013, 09:25 PM   #6
tynman

I think its all just to help the ammo and gun companies move all there stock...LOL
Old January 22, 2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Ozzieman

I was going to go to the range today, that is until the weather changed. Sunny 10 deg F and 20 knot winds. And the range is out doors.
I’m a serious shooter, but not that serious.
The last gun show I went to (2 weeks back) there were twice as many people waiting to get in than were inside.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:59 PM   #8
TheFineLine

I went on Saturday to Cabelas and then to the range. The ammo shelves were empty of everything but oddball calibers and surprisingly a huge stack of 7.62x39. With that in mind I figured it'd be us and crickets out there. Man was I wrong. Mostly handgunners and a bunch of guys trying out their new ARs. I can't tell you how many times I saw one of the rangemasters on the line showing somebody how to adjust their rear sight. We had a great time.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:30 PM   #9
reynolds357

My range is not too crowded. Just me and the squirrels. I try to avoid going to the range at the gun club. Every time I go I have to listen to someone whining about muzzle brakes.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:55 PM   #10
Axelwik

Might as well cash in on the lunacy. I sold 800+ rounds of 7.62x39 that I didn't need and used the money to get a really nice SAA in 45 Colt. The ammo sold for about three times what I paid.

At least there's not a run on 45 Colt brass and Trail Boss. ...Should have enough primers to get through the craziness.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:58 PM   #11
Colorado Redneck

This is baffling. Just because some nuts shoot the hell out of people, and there is discussion amongst the pol's about what to do, half the country is going nuts over guns? My dad and mom lived in the boonies in western Colorado in the 30's and dad owned a 22 hornet. Single shot. Tramps camped along the river a few hundred yards from the house. Not a word about paranoia or fear or packing heat.

This is just mind numbing.
Old January 23, 2013, 09:37 AM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

1st off, it's really cold here...

... but I find when things get like this, I cut back on my shooting a little...funny to see the range full, when you can't buy ammo or components???

I'm not out of anything, but I don't shoot, if I can't replace what I use... after all, with out "bullets" ( purposely substatuted bullets for cartridges, honoring the college educated bill writing politicians on the east coast )
Old January 23, 2013, 04:57 PM   #13
hooligan1

We decided that the next day we would beat everyone out there and maybe get a booth..... The funny thing is that the temps had fallen drastically and we basically froze our noses off!! There might have been 15 other people there,, but it was hella cold, and championship sunday,,, but what the heck was that on Saturday,,,,????/ We might never figure that one out.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:33 PM   #14
horseman308

Quote:
Quote:
At least there's not a run on 45 Colt brass and Trail Boss. ...Should have enough primers to get through the craziness.
Yeah, in times like this, it can be kinda nice when you prefer stuff that relatively few others shoot. Not nearly the same kind of rush on blackpowder and flintlocks.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:14 AM   #15
Ignition Override

The only reason I'm about to visit an indoor range (seldom visited) is because they should still have a Sig 232 handgun for rental.
I've never tried one, but really like reports about them. Had previously decided to buy a Polish P-64, but did not get used to the recoil after three tries.

About to buy my First handgun, and it will most probably be a Sig 232 or Bersa T. .380.

Isn't it always striking how confidence grows slowly among masses of people, but the 'Angst vor Einkreisung'
(fear of encirclement) and any other anxiety spreads between large numbers of people like lightning?
People pay much more attention to fear.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:21 AM   #16
FairWarning

I already had most everything I need other than a few certain dreaded extended mags. Took care of that.

In a pinch, I could probably make a small fortune from arsenal. It's enough to raise my net worth significantly.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:16 PM   #17
Major Dave (retired)

Who thinks that all those at the ranges/gun shows ...

are NRA members?

I also wonder how many shooters voted for Barack?

NOW they find out who stands for what!

In my city (100,000 population) last weekends gun show had a 45 min wait in line to get in - on Saturday. Private sellers were wandering around with for sale signs on their AR's , asking $1500 to $2500.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:09 PM   #18
hooligan1

Price gouger's should be hung by their fingernails....
Old January 28, 2013, 01:57 AM   #19
BIG P

I try to buy my project guns this time of year,But this mess screwed that up this year so far anyway.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:18 AM   #20
Nathan

I thought this spring would be good for shot shell reloading and development....it may, as long as I don't need powder! ***!

I'm going back to finishing my 223 loading and my 2 back burner gunsmithing projects. Good thing I got the AR done JIT!
Old January 28, 2013, 07:55 AM   #21
Mobuck

"Price gouger's should be hung by their fingernails"
I have to say that general statement is out of line. Those being "gouged" are the ones who didn't properly prepare when they had an opportunity at normal prices. The buyers have the choice of not buying.
The bigger problem I have with all the "Johnie come latelies" is their overall effect on nearly everything related to firearms-not just semiauto rifles and their ammo.
Yes, I've taken advantage of the situation to market some items at a considerable profit, BUT all those buyers were quite happy to pay the asking price.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:57 AM   #22
Magnum Wheel Man

Thing that bothers me, is it trickles down to everything... can't buy a plastic ammo box in nearly any caliber, for example ( I'm trying to reorganize my ammo & empty cases, & have been putting them in plastic 50 round ammo boxes ) heaven forbid, I needed something that shared the 223 box, like 4-5 Contender calibers, 222, 357 Max, etc.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:29 AM   #23
Madcap_Magician

Hereabouts the last gun show was standing room only ten minutes before it opened, and we have crummy gun shows. An Olympic M4rgery was $1700. 5.56 was a dollar a round.

All the regular ammo places (two Wal-Marts, a Fleet Farm, a Gander Mountain, and an LGS) are out of ammo.

Given that, I have no idea where all the people packing the range found the ammo to shoot while they were there...
Old January 31, 2013, 01:46 AM   #24
Hook686

All this is good for our economy. It is being done just for that purpose I'm suspecting. Kinda like the "housing bubble". Did you get sucked up in that also ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 31, 2013, 05:59 AM   #25
Rainbow Demon

I suspect that the selling off of the Twinky to a Mexican company was a ploy to test the waters for other buying frensies like this.
No telling what will come next.
Closed Thread