The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2014, 12:35 PM   #1
jimwill48

7mm Rem Mag CB Light Load

Anybody loading the 7mm Rem Mag down to 7x57 levels..and if so what are your loads?
Old January 3, 2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Mike / Tx

You can get them down pretty low using the Reduced load data on the Hodgdon site and H-4895.

According to Hodgdon, if there is a listed load in the standard load data for a particular bullet weight and H-4895 it can be reduced using the formula in their reduced data PDF.

I know it has worked well for me using smaller calibers with several weight grained bullets and I also know they DO list H-4895 with some bullet weights for the 7mm RM in their reduced load data. I would just look up the bullet weight your interested in on their Data site and then go from there. If you don't see something you want to load give them a call I am sure they will direct you on the data.
Old January 4, 2014, 09:54 AM   #3
Clark

Yeah, what Mike said.
I have not done it in 7mmRM, but I have reduced loads way down in 45/70 405 gr bullet to 30 gr 4895 or 15 gr Unique.
I have reduced 30-30 170 gr with 21 gr 4895 or 10 gr of Unique.

4895 and Unique reduce very well.

Blue Dot is a famous powder for clean burning and accurate reduced rifle loads, but it is kind of dangerous in that it can hang up in a powder measure, making one round have a light load and the next have a heavy load. It fills so little of the case that a double charge will fit. I have seen cases fail. I would avoid Blue Dot unless every charge is individually checked twice.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?