The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 6, 2010, 01:18 PM   #26
OlympicArmsFan

I bought my 500 from www.budsgunshop.com and they seem to have great prices on both the Remingtons and Mossbergs.

I have not gotten to shoot mine. I was hopping to at Christmas time but didnt make it out to the country and living in the city there is no out door or in door range for long guns.

Good luck they both will serve you well.
Old January 6, 2010, 01:47 PM   #27
zippy13

Yep, being a south paw, you might wanna consider a bottom ejector model. An Ithaca M-37 or Browning BPS. But, your $350 might not be enough.
Old January 23, 2010, 07:13 PM   #28
DocSouth

Hey y'all,
Just keeping everyone posted.

I "traded" the Remington 870 to my dad for his birthday. (He was drooling over it) and he compensated us the cash money. He loves it.

I spent 5 hours today driving from shop to shop in the area looking for guns.
The Mossberg can be had for 227 at Wal-Mart, brand spanking new, which is the best deal I found, but it's only the single barrel, luckily Hogsdogs has shown me a site to order a shorter barrel down the road.

But today, I held an Ithaca 37. If it wasn't 500 used, I would have bought that thing in a heartbeat. Bottom ejection port, and the gunsmith said he could convert the safety over. Be still my heart!

Are they always that expensive? Because if so, I'll get the Mossberg for now, and down the road switch over I suppose. I didn't know if y'all knew of a website or some such where they might be had for cheaper.
Thanks so much.

(Btw, I've spent the last two saturdays at the range trying out different shotguns, as per y'alls advice. I learned that I'm a terrible shot, and that this is an incredibly fun sport! Thanks for all the help!)
Old January 26, 2010, 12:40 PM   #29
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

37s rarely come cheap, and maybe that's a good thing.

A well worn 37 around these parts with fixed choke, no rust and lots of blue left is likely about $300 or so.

But, they're Forever Guns. We see few on the market because they tend to be handed down like family Bibles.

Lots of these here in MD, and I've yet to see any worn past usefulness.

Glad you've been trying out shotguns.....
Old January 31, 2010, 05:07 PM   #30
DocSouth

I went to the gunshow this weekend, and I saw some decent guns.

There was only one Ithaca there, and it was wobbly and pitted and they were still asking 500+ for it.
But it is exceptionally light-weight.

The only Mossbergs at the show were the "tactiCOOL" black synthetic ones, PGO. Which looks great in the movies, but I'd like a functional gun for the range or HD. Heck, I'd even like to start some hunting, so the "gun straight from MAX PAYNE!!!!" didn't really seem like a smart choice, even for only 300.
(As a side-note, gun-shows are like Toys-R-Us for adults, I never understood the appeal until I went. It's a good thing it's mostly cash only or I'd be in big trouble about now...)

I went to Wal-Mart and they had a Mossberg 500 for $227, but the foregrip, the pump, was wobbly. I don't know if this is common or not. Is this a problem, it felt kind of cheap? I don't know how I feel about that...

The Remington 870 they had didn't feel as loose, it felt sturdier than the Mossberg. I really liked the feel of the 870, the forward slide release, the weight. My only complaint is the safety and the fact that I've heard only bad things about their reliability.

I have yet to see or handle a BPS, so I don't know how I feel about them.

This is my introduction to firearms, so I'm looking to buy a decent entry level piece. If I really like it, I'll buy something a little more dependable down the road. That being said, I don't want something that wastes my money, which is why I've got it down to theses guns.

Is the wobbly stock a problem, should I go find another store with Mossbergs to buy one of their stock, or is this a normal feature across the line?

Any advice, opinions, or ideas? Thanks so much,
South
Old January 31, 2010, 06:48 PM   #31
Lee Lapin

I've heard only bad things about their reliability.

Really?

REALLY?

10,000,000 870s sold (that's 'ten million') since 1950.

90% plus of the law enforcement agencies that issue shotguns in the US use 870s.

There are untold millions of satisfied (or even happier) 870 owners out there who have used their guns regularly for decades.

And you've only heard BAD THINGS about 870 reliability?

Maybe you should spend a little time out in the real world, and get away from keyboardland for a while?

If it matters, I've been shooting 870s on and off for going on 40 years. I've never broken a part on one of my guns (and I have over a dozen 870s in different gauges). I've never bought one new, either- they've all been bought used. I've had problems with fired shells (Fiocchis- go figure) sticking in one 870 barrel, and that one was bought used on eBay.

Other than that, I have never had any problems with reliability in any of the 870s I've owned.

Never.

Look, it's your money, and your decision. Buy what you want. But AT LEAST get some better information in the process of making a decision.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 31, 2010, 06:49 PM   #32
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
I went to Wal-Mart and they had a Mossberg 500 for $227, but the foregrip, the pump, was wobbly. I don't know if this is common or not. Is this a problem, it felt kind of cheap?
NORMAL!!!
Mossberg owners get used to putting a bit of torsional twist to quiet things when stealth is needed
Brent
Old January 31, 2010, 08:10 PM   #33
DocSouth

Quote:
Really?

REALLY?

10,000,000 870s sold (that's 'ten million') since 1950.

90% plus of the law enforcement agencies that issue shotguns in the US use 870s.

There are untold millions of satisfied (or even happier) 870 owners out there who have used their guns regularly for decades.

And you've only heard BAD THINGS about 870 reliability?

Maybe you should spend a little time out in the real world, and get away from keyboardland for a while?

If it matters, I've been shooting 870s on and off for going on 40 years. I've never broken a part on one of my guns (and I have over a dozen 870s in different gauges). I've never bought one new, either- they've all been bought used. I've had problems with fired shells (Fiocchis- go figure) sticking in one 870 barrel, and that one was bought used on eBay.

Other than that, I have never had any problems with reliability in any of the 870s I've owned.

Never.

Look, it's your money, and your decision. Buy what you want. But AT LEAST get some better information in the process of making a decision.

lpl
I apologize, I should have clarified. The new 870 Express.

If I could afford a 870P this thread wouldn't exist, but with my budget being 350 dollars, I'm stuck where I am.

And yes, many people on and off the internet, at the range and in the shops have told me the new 870's ARE NOT the reliable heirlooms the old ones were. The new Expresses are printed off as fast and cheap as possible, or at least that's what I've heard. The old ones were great, the new ones...not so much.

Last edited by DocSouth; January 31, 2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old January 31, 2010, 10:08 PM   #34
DocSouth

Quote:
NORMAL!!!
Mossberg owners get used to putting a bit of torsional twist to quiet things when stealth is needed
Brent
lol, Thanks Hogs, I knew I could count on a response from you. That gave me some worry. It's not any weakness in the gun/something that is going to break anytime soon is it?
Old January 31, 2010, 10:17 PM   #35
AZwarts

Check to see if remington is still doing there $50 rebate on 870s. You can get some ammo or put the money towards a new barrel. If you want to shoot clays keep the long barrel and choke.
Old January 31, 2010, 10:28 PM   #36
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It is a looser than some tube on the mag tube. The down side is a sloppy feel... the upside is the thing will not bind with even sand blowing into the action

They tried a "bushing" gizmo with a couple "tension" springs but I don't know if they still do so as even the ones with it still were loose enuff to rattle some.
Brent
Old February 3, 2010, 03:21 PM   #37
Strazznah

I personally would look at (or better yet call them) some pawn/gun shops in the area for an older 870 Wingmaster. The actions are smooth as silk on them and overall are more asthetically pleasing than the new ones. They can be had usually for around $200 or a bit more. Searching online you can find used barrels for them inexpensivley as well. I know that on Gunbroker.com you can easily find a Left handed 870 that may help you out. The only downside with buying online is that you will have to have it transferred to a local FFL dealer (for a fee)