The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 4, 2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Tatsumi67

Gun Scrubber in a Can

I thought I would never need it, but would have liked it, and bought a can just because I always liked the idea of a complete removal and degrease in a can.

That night, when I had put the can away I was cleaning my M91/30 and noticed some rust colored grease/powder on the bolt face. After being unable to get it off with a brush, I got out the can of gun scrubber. With a blast of the high pressure cleaning compound the burned grease, powder and even oil were stripped from the piece.

I was amazed and procuded to "scrub" the whole gun from top to bottom, and then regreased with some good ol' Hoppe's No.9 lubricant.

The gun is actually cleaner now after being fire than when I degreased it when I bought it!
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.

Last edited by Tatsumi67; October 5, 2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old October 4, 2008, 07:07 PM   #2
CortJestir

You're talking about the Birchwood Casey stuff right? I've started using it myself to similar results. Good stuff. Just gotta be careful though as you have found out, it will degrease everything. It works almost too well. I had to make sure I hit all the springs and internals with a light coat of oil.
Old October 4, 2008, 07:20 PM   #3
DWARREN123

If used on polymer pistols make sure to get the synthetic safe stuff. It is good stuff.
Old October 4, 2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
It works almost too well.
Be careful with the stuff. Buddy of mine bought a Beretta Tomcat and proceeded to clean it with the Gun Scrubber stuff. Called me 10 minutes later freaking out. Gun Scrubber ate the plastic grip panels on the Tomcat and totally locked up his gun. The slide would not move at all. Walked him off the ledge and told him the gun was too dry to function. After a can of Rem Oil, the gun started functioning again. He replaced the melted plastic grip panels with wood and every thing is as good as new.

Gun Scrubber is great stuff, but be very careful where you get it.
Old October 4, 2008, 10:39 PM   #5
CortJestir

+1 on the new formula. Make sure the can says safe for synthetics, plastics and wood...
Old October 5, 2008, 11:43 AM   #6
Tatsumi67

Glad I got the one with the "Synthetifc safe" sticker on it.
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old October 5, 2008, 12:04 PM   #7
hoytinak

Yeah I love Gun Scrubber too but it's getting expensive (like everything else). Like stated be careful with it and make sure you get the synthetifc safe ikind if using on anything but metal. I melted the plasic trigger guard on my Marlin 60 a little bit with the regular kind.
Old October 5, 2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Wagonman

I was told that carb cleaner is a good (cheaper) alternative. thoughts
Old October 5, 2008, 04:41 PM   #9
Jeff B.

When I was in the service, we frequently used card cleaner on our M60's, M16's and .45's... it is pretty rough. Not sure I'd go that route on my own weapons.

Jeff B.
Old October 5, 2008, 04:53 PM   #10
Byte

Expensive but darned if it didn't take my 10/22 back down to the bare aluminum. I never use cleaning products of any kind on my wood or plastic parts if I can help it. I pretty much strip anything to the lowest level I can then blast the pertinent parts. The stuff smells of pure ether! Almost knocked myself out the other night on the porch when I blasted the 10/22 receiver out!

I love the smell of Hoppe's #9 too much to ever stop using it but having the scrubber avail on the firing line to blast out any build up sure is nice. But yeah, as was already mentioned, keep adequate lube on hand because once you blast the scrubber in everything will be dry as a bone and things will bind up.

Byte

PS If I'm not mistaken, brake/carb cleaner is pretty much straight ether too and should do the exact same thing for 1/4 the cost. Last 13oz can of Scrubber was $11 i think! Much as I like it it's prob the last time I'll be buying any. I'll try some different brake/carb cleaners next time. They can't hurt my AK's!
Old October 5, 2008, 05:35 PM   #11
publius

Wagonman, yes carb cleaner works great & is cheap. I always scrub my gun with a solvent ,hoppes #9, (I use Ed's Red), any good powder solvent, scrub with a toothbrush. let solvent sit for a few minutes and hose off with a can of carb cleaner. completely clean & degreased gun. oil & reassemble. DON'T get this on anything plastic, (sorry glock guys, I meant synthetic).
Old October 5, 2008, 07:28 PM   #12
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

This is why I prefer Hornady One Shot. It blasts out the gunk, but leaves a dry lube film. There are few reasons why I would want to totally degrease my firearm. Actually, at home, for normal maintance - there are none. The Hornady stuff leaves the metal protected.
Old October 6, 2008, 10:20 AM   #13
Doyle

If you don't need something that is "synthetic safe", plain old brake cleaner is the same stuff that is in gun scrubber - and it cost a whole lot less.
Old October 6, 2008, 03:56 PM   #14
teeroux

Quote:
I was told that carb cleaner is a good (cheaper) alternative. thoughts
LPS or any other electronic contact cleaner works well and is also safe on plastics ive also used a can of ether to degrease metal pistols.
Old October 12, 2008, 11:06 PM   #15
kiloxj

agree

Carb cleaner works well, as long as you get it off your blueing and i always go hopes no 9. I use the bore Foam from BreakFree, then Blast out with either carb cleaner or Powder Blast, followed by wiping down with No. 9. Perfect. In Iraq wiper bolt and carrier group down with hoppes, everything else with powderblast, Cleaned the bolt daily, no clp, just the hopes, and cleaned entire rifle twice in 7 months. No jams, No problems
Old October 22, 2008, 05:04 AM   #16
Niantician

The stuff makes a great weapon too if you're attacked while cleaning your gun. I got a blast of it in the eyes and if I could have seen where my phone was, I would have called 911. I thought my eyes were being burned out of my skull. Instead I sat with my face under the faucet for about 5 minutes till the searing pain went away.