The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 11, 2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Stargazer

Another...Ruger LCP reloading?

I used mixed brass with Magtech 95 gr. JFP bullet in front of 4 grs. of Unique. Over my PACT it gave an average of 864.6 FPS on a 5 shot group and 874.6FPS averaging a 10 shot group. Slightly warmer than American Eagle Factory rounds but no where close to the lighter bulleted Federal Hydra-Shoks I tested. HS's averaged 932.5 FPS from a 5 shot group.

The cases on my reloads with 4 grs. of Unique looked real good with no guppying whatsoever. No cratered primers either so this will be a good practice and defense round if needed. I also ran some Monarch .380's over the Pact with the Ruger. They averaged 771.9 FPS over a 5 shot group.

Any other pet loads for this pistol ya'll got out there?

M70 Web Page
Old September 12, 2008, 07:09 AM   #2
Sevens

I don't have one of these pistols, but I could see the possibility of it one day, and you can bet that I'll be rolling my own to feed it practice ammo.

This is good info -- I only hope I can find it via the search engine when the day comes I might need it!
Old September 15, 2008, 12:03 PM   #3
w_houle

I was told the .380 was hard to reload due to it having thin brass, and that it was a worthless endeavor to engage in due to it being a difficult cartridge to reload. Is there anything to this?
Old September 15, 2008, 02:10 PM   #4
snuffy

What in tarnation is a LCP? Don't you just HATE it when somebody uses abbreviations!?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 15, 2008, 02:30 PM   #5
Darren007

Quote:
What in tarnation is a LCP? Don't you just HATE it when somebody uses abbreviations!?
No because the abbreviation is its name. The Ruger LCP...which I believe stands Light Carry Pistol. No offense, but have you been living under a rock or something.
Old September 15, 2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Stargazer

(Quote)I was told the .380 was hard to reload due to it having thin brass, and that it was a worthless endeavor to engage in due to it being a difficult cartridge to reload. Is there anything to this?(Quote)

I have heard some have trouble with the case buckling on them when they go to seat a bullet. I am using Lee dies and I have reloaded about(62) of them, all the cases I could find, and mine did just great. It was a mixed lot of brass too, Winchester, Federal nickle cases, Fioochi, Monarch, and American Eagle. Lee has a post carbide size ring on their factory crimp die and it touched the Winchester cases the most out of all the brands. Not sure if it was thicker or thinner and buckling on me. I'll have to pull those to check them but I bet it was because the cases are thicker. Winchesters always seem to run thicker from my experience. Ie, cases last longer too!

M70 Web Page
Old September 15, 2008, 06:07 PM   #7
rabbitgun

unique in 380???

I wouldn't, it's not quick burnig enough. Try Bullseys, W231, HP-38. You should put an end to unburt powder flakes falling back into your action.

I've just started loading for 380s and 32acp. Have you seen the price of these two calibers!
Old September 17, 2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Ohio Rusty

If you could, would you post your OAL (Overall length) of the finished cartridge? I have the 95 grain lyman bullet that I have been casting, and soon I'm getting ready to reload those. I just need to figure out what is going to be the correct OAL for those .380's in my P3AT. I can measure a factory FMJ as a starting reference. I'll be using V V N310 powder, somewhere between 2.2 and 2.8 grains with those 95 grain lead pills.
I'm always interested in load data for the .380.
Thanx ...
Ohio Rusty ><>
Old September 17, 2008, 05:59 PM   #9
Stargazer

I have (3) Factory loads I measured. Here's the list. The last one is my reloads.

American Eagle 95 Gr. FMJ .970" Averaged 852.7 FPS
Monarch***** 94 Gr. JHP .928" " 771.9 FPS
Fed. HydraShok 90 Gr. JHP .942" " 932.5 FPS
My Reloads*** 95 Gr. JFP .955" (Magtech bullets) 864.6 FPS 4 Grs. Unique

As you can see the Factory loads were all over the place as far as OAL is concerned. The .970" doesn't break the max my reloading manuals call for the .380 so I chose .955" for these particular bullets as it seated them and left just enough bearing surface visible to match the Factory loads I have. NO FTF's or malfunctions of any sort.

M70 Web Page
Old September 17, 2008, 06:16 PM   #10
45Marlin carbine

I use BullsEye for my .380acp loads for my BDA. I have shot Magtech slugs w/good results but tightest groups are w/Golden Sabres.
it does take some finesse to load the .380 the case will buckle if sizeing die or seating die is too tight.
but it's a dern good round to master IMO. as good as the .38 spl.
I like the Makarov 9X18 also.
very pointable, quick for repeat shot. I keep my Mak in a spare holster velcroed- taped to my bedpost.
of course SXS 12ga mag leaned in near corner by nite-lite.
Old September 22, 2008, 08:02 AM   #11
farnorthdan

My .380 load is as follows: Magtech 95gn over 2.8 grains titegroup. This combo works great for me. As far as case buckling goes, there are some cases that have a cannalure ring about 1/8 of an inch or so on the inside of the case. I toss these cases because they buckle, I'm still trying to figure out how to reload those, I hate scrapping good brass....

DS

Accuracy is king,penatration is queen but why not jack'em in the process if you can.
Old September 22, 2008, 05:22 PM   #12
Stargazer

I have loaded those with the cannelure in the case and mine have not buckled. Using Lee dies. Sounds like the same Magtech bullet too. What dies do you use? My 4 grs. of Unique fill that case and it has been my experience that if the case is pretty full of Unique, it burns pretty clean with little to no residue or unburnt powder flakes.

M70 Web Page