The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 16, 2008, 12:19 AM   #1
Big Caliber

Serving up some Bergers

I bought some Berger bullets for a 25-06. They are 115 grains. I am unable to locate any reloading info on Berger bullets themselves. The only reloading data I can find for that weight is for Nosler bullets. I'll be using either Varget or IMR 4350 powder. In your opinion, is it ok to use the Nosler data? Or should I try using the data for the 117'ers and reduce my starting point 2-4 grains? Whatcha think?
Old July 16, 2008, 02:02 AM   #2
Darren007

Others might balk...but IMHO a 115 gr Berger is the same as a 115gr Nosler. Start low and work up.

I bought some .30 cal Bergers and just used Sierra load data. Worked fine.

I should add that, you can call Berger and ask them over the phone and they will give you some load data. You can even email them as well. I've even heard some people actually talked to Walter Berger himself.

A Berger reloading manual was in the works and was supposed to be out in spring 2008, but I dont know what happened, or if its still going to come out.
Old July 16, 2008, 10:39 PM   #3
Prince55

Agree with Mr. 007

Good Luck Shooting
Old July 17, 2008, 06:46 AM   #4
SL1

Assuming that you are using a strong bolt action rifle, I think you wil be safe-enough to start with starting loads for similar weight bullets and work-up carefully.

I don't shoot Bergers, but I can see from their advertisements that their shapes are substantially different from Noslers. They have greater lengths for the same weight, which can change seating depths and thus pressure, but I don't know if you would be seating them longer or shorter in your particular situation. They also have shorter bearing surface, which should tend to decrease pressure.

So, if you can get Berger to give you some suggested load data, that would be the best solution.

SL1
Old September 23, 2008, 05:13 PM   #5
JEFF MCLEAN

Berger Reloading Info.

I SHOOT 1000 YARD BENCHREST AND TEST HUNTING BULLETS FOR WALT AND IF YOU EMAIL HIM HE WILL GET BACK TO YOU AS SOON AS HE CAN. HE IS WORKING A RELOADING GUIDE BUT HAS NOT YET FINISHED IT. IF YOU START WITH A MIN, LOAD FROM THE THE GUIDE LIKE THEY WERE SAYING YOU WILL BE FINE. JUST REMEMBER THAT IF YOU GET THE BERGERS FLYING TO FAST THEY WILL LOOSE THERE ACCURACY. THEY HAVE A VERY HIGH BC. AND DO NOT HAVE TO BE FIRED AS FAST AS OTHER BULLETS TO KEEP UP THERE VELOCITY. (THEY CUT THE WIND BETTER.) I HAVE SHOT SEVERAL BIG GAME ANIMALS WITH 6MM AND 7MM BERGERS AND HAVE HAD GREAT SUCCES WITH THEM. I HAVE TAKEN WHITETAIL DEER AND ELK @ 800 to 1000 yards with the 168 vld. muzzle velo, 3000 fps and had no problems.