The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 11, 2006, 07:00 PM   #1
TBT

Why A Good Gun Belt?

Hello all,

I’ve been wondering for some time why a good gun belt is needed. I have been using my regular 1.5” leather dress belt and have had no noticeable problems with it. If the belt is leather, and sufficiently wide, why isn’t it good enough? I always hear that I shouldn’t use a “regular belt” and that I need a “gun belt”. Is there a particular reason for this? Will I figure out at the worst possible time exactly “why my leather dress belt isn’t good enough”?
Old October 11, 2006, 07:40 PM   #2
CDH

It all depends...

If you're carrying IWB only, then you can get away with a dress belt if you really want, because in that case, the belt is isn't directly supporting the holster other than to simply hold tension into your body.
However, a heavier pistol in an IWB holster WILL allow your pants and belt to sag and not be as secure. If you walk around with your pants hanging lower on one side than on the other, you'd be "made" pretty easily.
If you stay with something like a lightweight S&W 642 in an IWB rig and your dress belt, you would probably be fine.
I think that if you try a good gun belt with your IWB rig, and then change it out for your dress belt, I'm pretty sure the difference would be obvious and you would most likely want to stay with the gun belt.

On the other hand, if you're carrying OWB, then the belt is the TOTAL support for the holster and pistol rig so you really do NEED a gun belt because it's much stiffer than a dress belt would be.
Also, you would want to be sure to go with a 1-1/2" belt when wearing OWB for the added support you get from the width as well as the rigidity of the belt.

Note that the really good gun belts made by reputable holster makers often have an inside support layer sewn inside the outer and inner layers of the belt. So with the double layer belt, PLUS a support layer, you will have a "platform" from which to hang just about any kind of holster and pistol you would want to carry securely.
Many dress belts, even wider ones, are made of just a single layer of leather and cannot offer as much support as a gun belt even if it is wider such as 1-1/2".

Carter
Old October 11, 2006, 08:17 PM   #3
Greg_Dunn

I wear a 1 3/4" wide gunbelt to support my holstered Sig 226, 2 extra mags, sometimes a light and cuffs.

If you use a high ride OWB holster with a heavy gun it will twist and sag, distorting your belt, making concealment more difficult and uncomfortable while impairing your ability to draw your weapon consistently.

for a belt to be good it needs to be at minimum 1 1/2" wide, lined and preferably double thickness.

I make a compromise belt, it is like thickness and a half, but it works great.

So it depends upon how serious you take concealment and your particular method of carry as mentioned in the post above. Not only that but the feel and smell of new leather is great.

Handcrafted concealment leather for the working man
Old October 11, 2006, 09:03 PM   #4
TBT

So it's the stiffness of the belt that makes it different?

I've carried a Kimber UCII as well as a full size 1911 IWB SOB with my dress belt and a DeSantis IWB holster without issue.

Maybe I'll look into a good belt. While I've not had any issues it might still be better,.
Old October 11, 2006, 09:15 PM   #5
bclark1

yea, reinforced belts are key. IWB holsters there's not much difference, but OWBs pull away from my body so much with a regular belt. dress belts are probably better because they're thicker depth and thinner width, but casual belts, especially 1 1/2" belts, even a compact will pull out from my body as the belt gives a little.
Old October 12, 2006, 06:16 AM   #6
CDH

Beyond the general idea of wanting your pistol and holster to be held as a stable "platform" as I already mentioned, it can't be emphasized enough that Bclark pointed out another very important reason for a good belt.

A well designed holster mounted on a GOOD gun belt will virtually pull the grip of the pistol into your side (and keep it there as you move) and thus give you MUCH better concealment.

A floppy belt and/or a cheap holster, especially an OWB holster (but an IWB holster as well) will allow the grip of the pistol to "flop" outward and away from your body, moreso during some body movements and positions than others.

If a good gun belt gave you nothing else but better concealability, it would be worth it. But it does so much more than that so it's really a no-brainer to have one.. or two or three, in various colors.

Carter
Old October 12, 2006, 12:24 PM   #7
TBT

I'll pick one up. Like I've said, I've not noticed a "flaw" carrying IWB SOB with a DeSantis holster yet though. The gun rides snug on my back and seems secure enough. I'm interested to see the difference though.
Old October 12, 2006, 01:35 PM   #8
ulmer

You may want to keep in mind that Galco, Desantis, Wild Bill, etc., are not selling department store belts. They obviously are going to tell you to get a gun belt. Not to knock their belts, especially Galco, but a good thick leather belt is a good thick leather belt. I made mine, solid brass buckle, and of about 9 oz. leather. It works fine.
Old October 12, 2006, 01:55 PM   #9
CDH

Quote:
but a good thick leather belt is a good thick leather belt.
Not necessarily. A couple of primary differences are that gun belts are double thickness leather, not just a single piece. Plus, gun belts (the better ones) have a reinforcement sewn inside between the layers of leather which gives the belt a LOT more support.

Carter
Old October 12, 2006, 02:33 PM   #10
TBT

Very, very interesting. Thanks for the help gents.
Old October 15, 2006, 12:02 AM   #11
don't shoot it's me

Even an IWB will feel better with a good belt because the rig is still riding on the belt, even though it is inside the pants....this is especailly important with pants that don't have a very supportive waistband....like cargo or docker style...regular fit wrangler and Levis hold a gun much better than loose fitting jeans....
Old October 15, 2006, 09:14 AM   #12
22-rimfire

Depends on the weight of the gun you are carrying. But still get yourself a good gun belt. It is something that you won't really understand until you get one and try it out. I have been very pleased with Rafters S. They have many choices of materials, the price is very competitive, and not much more than a good dress belt. I have the regular leather model. Get the 1.25" width if the gun is not real heavy. You will probalby wear it as a regular dress belt. Read the sizing information carefully. http://www.raftersgunleather.com/
Old October 15, 2006, 10:00 AM   #13
liliysdad

I wear a duble thickness leather 1.5" belt with kydex inner liner from Looper Leather in Oklahoma City. It has made a world of difference in the comfort of carry.