The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 16, 2006, 09:08 PM   #1
rick_reno

Country star accused of illegally killing tame bear

I'd sure like to the tape of the "hunt".

DULUTH, Minnesota (AP) -- Troy Lee Gentry, of the country singing duo Montgomery Gentry, has been accused of killing a tame black bear that federal officials say he tagged as killed in the wild.

Gentry, 39, of Franklin, Tennessee, and Lee Marvin Greenly, 46, of Sandstone, appeared Tuesday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Raymond Erickson in connection with a sealed indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Minneapolis.

Authorities allege that Gentry purchased the bear from Greenly, a wildlife photographer and hunting guide, then killed it with a bow and arrow in an enclosed pen on Greenly's property in October 2004.

The government alleges that Gentry and Greenly tagged the bear with a Minnesota hunting license and registered the animal with the state Department of Natural Resources as a wild kill.

Gentry allegedly paid about $4,650 for the bear, named Cubby. The bear's death was videotaped, and the tape later edited so Gentry appeared to shoot the animal in a "fair chase" hunting situation, the government alleges.

If convicted, both Gentry and Greenly face a maximum penalty of five years in federal prison and a $20,000 fine.

Gentry's manager, Johnny Dorris, said Wednesday that Gentry, an outdoorsman and hunter, expects to be exonerated.

Gentry "relied on the knowledge and expertise of a local guide to obtain the proper permit," Dorris said in a written statement. "Troy felt what he did was legal and in full compliance of the law and was surprised to hear of the indictment."

Greenly did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Montgomery Gentry, along with co-singer Eddie Montgomery, are known for hits such as "My Town" and "If You Ever Stop Loving Me."
Old August 16, 2006, 09:31 PM   #2
MeekAndMild

In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old August 16, 2006, 10:12 PM   #3
osufanboy

I've got a barrel for $50. Fish extra.
There's a reason we separate military and the police: one fights the enemy of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.
Old August 16, 2006, 10:52 PM   #4
guntotin_fool

I hate when that happens......
Old August 16, 2006, 11:48 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

What a numbskull

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060816/...sure_gentry_dc
Old August 17, 2006, 12:29 AM   #6
maas

Ted is shaking his head in disbelief.

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old August 17, 2006, 08:49 AM   #7
Wild Bill Bucks

Proof Positive, that Hank Williams Jr. was right.

"A Country Boy CAN Survive.":eek
Old August 17, 2006, 09:27 AM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I dunno, Wild Bill. I never heard of this singer, but he's in deep doodoo. The guide is in deeper doodoo. The singer is out $4,650 (Dumb!!!) and the guide will probably lose his license.

The lawyers buy new Mercedes.

That's survival?

, Art
Old August 17, 2006, 10:18 AM   #9
Wild Bill Bucks

I agree Art,

You never know about some of these stories, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, until their convicted. I will say, if they are truley guilty, they should both have to serve the maximum. This is probably the second stupidest thing I ever heard of for a hunter. The first being the two guys from Oklahoma, that shot the breeder Elk in New Mexico, that belonged to a game ranch. They shot him with a bow, through a cyclone fence, climbed the fence and cut off the head, then brought it back to Oklahoma, and bragged about the nice elk they shot to a game ranger. Ranger had heard about New Mexico elk that had been shot, and when he checked it out, realized that the guys were the ones who shot the elk. Last I heard, they were in some pretty deep hockey.

Wonder what makes people do such DUMB crap? It just makes all hunters look bad to people who don't hunt.
Old August 17, 2006, 10:49 AM   #10
jhgreasemonkey

That really sucks. With all the money he has he could have went on a really nice guided "real" hunt. That baffles me why he would shoot a bear in a pen. Cubby Bearenstine KIA in redneck prison camp 2006.
Cubby we salute you!
poor bugger.
Old August 17, 2006, 11:42 AM   #11
Trip20

If this is true...
Quote:
Authorities allege that Gentry purchased the bear from Greenly, a wildlife photographer and hunting guide, then killed it with a bow and arrow in an enclosed pen on Greenly's property in October 2004.
...and if this is true...
Quote:
The bear's death was videotaped, and the tape later edited so Gentry appeared to shoot the animal in a "fair chase" hunting situation, the government alleges.
...then this sure isn't true (bolding mine).
Quote:
Gentry's manager, Johnny Dorris, said Wednesday that Gentry, an outdoorsman and hunter...
Both quotes do use the word "allege"... so we'll have to see what evidence comes out. Providing a video tape exists... he might be in some deep doo doo.

This is why I hate country music.
Old August 17, 2006, 12:57 PM   #12
Anthony Terry

I've been hearing about this story everywhere. Just pathetic! Did the poor ole wannabe hunter just do it to try to impress his freinds or what? I bet they're impressed now for sure! Bwahahahah, dummy!
Old August 17, 2006, 01:28 PM   #13
Scorch

I can hear it now. All the good ole boys gathered around the campfire, he stands up and says "thar it wuz, the biggest bar I evr did see. So I shot it right twixt the wires, whar it'd do the mos' good."
Old August 17, 2006, 04:45 PM   #14
swampdog

The anti-hunters will have a field day with this. All hunters are ambassadors to the general public. We get enough bad publicity when someone who is not a nationally known figure screws up.

If this guy is convicted everyone's dreaming if you think he'll get the max. He'll pay a big fine, probation probably and not spend a day in jail. Try that on $35,000 a year.

I think the punishment should fit the crime. He should lose his hunting and fishing privileges for at least ten years, in the entire country, not just one state.

I wonder who will be the first to show up at one of his shows in a bear suit.

This clown will pay for this the rest of his life, if his friends and family are anything like mine.
Old August 17, 2006, 04:57 PM   #15
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Cubby Bearenstine KIA in redneck prison camp 2006
I will say, that like WBB, I want to wait and find out more facts before "convicting him". It is certainly not past the gov't DA to exaggerate the facts - it's possible (we don't know), that what they are calling a pen is actually a high-fenced much larger area, and what they are calling a "tame" bear is actually a wild bear, who is alleged to be "tame" because it was born in "captivity" inside the confines of this fenced area (which again, might be quite large - I'd like to know the exact size of this so-called 'pen'), by parent bears who were caught completely wild in their generation. Not likely, but this is possible - I'll just reserve final judgment.

But if the facts are as alleged, this knucklehead deserves what is coming to him, assuming that he broke the letter of the Minn. wildlife laws, on the mislabeling charge. If he didn't, then he's only guilty of being a very very sorry excuse for a 'hunter'.

Last edited by FirstFreedom; August 19, 2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old August 17, 2006, 07:07 PM   #16
MeekAndMild

Thought about this thread all night. On the one hand this is disgusting, immature, dumb behavior. On the other hand all the libertarians over on L&P would be saying that in a free society people should have the right to do dumb disgusting things and in a way they're correct.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old August 17, 2006, 08:40 PM   #17
12-34hom

So very pathetic.

Hunters ? outdoors man ? - What a joke - these two slobs should have their sorry asses kicked to the nearest federal penitentiary,

Just to see what the word hunted really means.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old August 17, 2006, 08:56 PM   #18
Troponin

Since when does any video hunter ever proven himself to be an outdoors man? Very few can or do. THey all hunt in isolated, controlled areas and the animals could even be used to human presence in some cases. Is that real hunting too? I would like to see them take a "trophy" whatever every year where I hunt with hundreds of other hunters.
Old August 19, 2006, 04:45 PM   #19
Socrates

Well, much as I want to react to this, I'll have to relate a little story.
I was in first year law school, and, was taking Torts. Some kids in LA had fallen through the roof of a school, playing on the roof, and, had injured themselves. Their parents sued the school district.

The press related the kids as little thugs, breaking onto school property, to try and steal something, and, falling through the roof.

Since, on the face of it, it appeared the kids were illegally on the property, I thought that should bar a civil suit.

TURNS OUT I WAS WRONG. When it went to discovery, what came out was a completely different story. Turns out the kids were just kids, playing on school property after school was out. The school district KNEW the roof was unsafe, did nothing to repair it, and, did nothing to keep the kids off it. Turns out the 'roof' was very easy for the kids to walk onto, since it was a sunken building, they could just walk on to the roof. They were not thieves, thugs, etc. JUST KIDS PLAYING IN A SCHOOL YARD, AND ON A ROOF THAT WAS EASY FOR THEM TO ACCESS.
The criminals were the school district officials that did nothing to either keep the kids off the roof, or property, and, repair the roof.

That said, I'll wait and see what the actual facts are.

However, Federal cases aren't usually filed unless the evidence is there, except for the Canadian Wolf cases going on. I guess I'm back to wait and see what the facts are, related by the court, not the super liberal, anti-hunting press.

S
Old August 19, 2006, 06:23 PM   #20
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Socrates, I think the key is in this part of the article:

"The government alleges that Gentry and Greenly tagged the bear with a Minnesota hunting license and registered the animal with the state Department of Natural Resources as a wild kill."

That sounds like Minnesota is picky about wild kills, somehow or another. Might even be a law against having a "pet" or "tame" bear.

So, yeah, waiting for "true facts" is always good, but I doubt the press is (so far) any kind of bad guy in this particular deal.

Art
Old August 19, 2006, 06:51 PM   #21
Socrates

Art
I hope you're wrong. I'm hoping the guys reading the acusations can't read government documents worth anything.

The only thing that really matters is what's on the charging document, and, many reporters screw up the legal to normal decoding.

I've scene enough bull lately, concerning the Canadian Wolves, and federal charges filed against people protecting themselves, and thier property, to want to wait this one out.

Still, Art, you maybe right.

PS
If this is true, I'd like to see the guy charged as a child molester, you know, baby bear,
and let him go to Federal Prison with that rap...Don't much care for people killing other people's pets, and calling it game hunting.
Old August 19, 2006, 07:36 PM   #22
UniversalFrost

First if this is true I hope they through the book at them, but give 'em the benifit of the doubt first.

Second, the Minnesota state government is very much left wingers and will make an anti-hunting anti gun mess out of this. Too bad, because it is a great state minus the twin cities where the "anti gun anti hunting liberals" live.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old August 20, 2006, 08:48 AM   #23
brett30030

Maybe he can open for the "Ditsy Twits" in their vacant arena tour.
Old August 20, 2006, 11:52 AM   #24
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, reading the article, it seems reasonable to accept that the guy arrowed a bear in a cage, and tagged it as a wild kill. That part of it is sorta hard to argue against. I don't really believe the Agency folks are gonna go out and lie about something like that; misinterpret stuff on occasion, yeah, but this doesn't sound like "interpretation".

So, having a copy of the game laws is what's needed. I say that because the Texas rule book is quite specific about when and how you can take or not take what animal.

We probably oughta wait for more info before doing a bunch more speculation...

Art
Old August 22, 2006, 09:27 AM   #25
FirstFreedom

I'll just note that it is quite easy to use words to demonize someone. For example, the subject line of this thread uses the phrase "illegally killing", when in fact he's not charged with illegally killing anything; he's charged with mislabeling a kill as wild when it was not. And as I mentioned, the words "pen" and "tame" can have wildly differing definitions to different people. To some people, a pen may be a 20 acre high fence enclosure with lots of trees; who knows. He's probably a real dipstick who deserves everything he gets in all likelihood, so I'm not defending him, just pointing out things...

Quote:
Maybe he can open for the "Ditsy Twits" in their vacant arena tour
Bwaahahaa. They did have to cancel events in Houston, and I think Kansas City, and one other place, due to low ticket sales. But I still like their music. And NOW, I tend to agree with their political views (I didn't at the time they said them - they just happen to be more insightful than me). Still, they made their bed (by opening their mouths), and so now they lie in it, for better or worse. I'll still buy their CD though - love that real country & bluegrassy sound - far better than most of the utter crap that's heard on so-called "country & western" stations nowadays.