The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 29, 2002, 08:21 PM   #1
saintdavid

Need help and info for this rifle

Here is a family gun I do not know where to begin to identify. Stock reminds me of an M1 carbine. It is a bolt action, receiver and stock marfked with a serial# US27XX. Original owner is dead family legend said it is a "military trainer". No makers names barrel has "Cal 6.5". Looks like early mauser/MN Magazine/trigger guard appears to use the "Half Clips" I have read about. Has a long thin Spike bayonet. I will try to attatch pics. I would like any and all info, take downs, history anything that can be told is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-003f.jpg (39.5 KB, 82 views)
Old August 29, 2002, 08:23 PM   #2
saintdavid

muzzle end

another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-002f.jpg (38.7 KB, 54 views)
Old August 29, 2002, 08:43 PM   #3
cookhj

what you have is a 6.5mm italian caracano carbine. i don't have any more descriptive info in front of me, but i know that it was used during WWII. you might want to have it checked out before you decide to fire it. you can find surplus ammo out there for it from companies like seller and belliot.
Old August 29, 2002, 11:53 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The comment about it being a training rifle raises another possibility. There was a little youth trainer rifle that was made up so school children could practice being warriors in Mussolini's new Roman empire. Since it was an almost exact copy of the Model 1891 cavalry carbine except for size, and the pictures have no scale, I can't tell which that carbine is.

If your carbine measures 36 1/2 inches from end of barrel to butt, it is the standard cavalry carbine. If it measures 28 (I think) inches, it is the little trainer. The trainer fired a special 6.5mm blank cartridge and the standard rifle cartridge will not fit. The barrel is smooth bored.

The regular carbine is not especially valuable, one in good condition running $100-150 or so. The trainer is more collectible, and I saw one go a while back for $500.

Jim
Old September 2, 2002, 07:02 PM   #5
saintdavid

update

Yep it is the standard 36.5 inch version. Now does anyone have a take down set or exploded drawing. I justt have temporary custody for research and cleaning, and I want to break it down and see that all parts are in acceptable condition. Now the two biggest questions in my mind are age and why te US designations on an Italian rifle?
Old September 2, 2002, 11:44 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

"Cal. 6.5" isn't really a U.S. designation, but I don't recall any caliber marking on those, so it could have been put on by an importer. (Current law requires an importer mark his name and the caliber on the imported firearm; the caliber may be a partial compliance.)

Maybe Harley will have a breakdown or you can look at

http://attila.stevens-tech.edu/~glibera1/carcano/images

and see if it helps.

Jim
Old September 3, 2002, 05:47 AM   #7
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

The only thing I have, attached, is the blow-up, and historical data taken from and Old NRA magazine

HJN
Old September 6, 2002, 09:19 PM   #8
saintdavid

THANKS!

Thanks for all the info and links as usual the TFLers have helped me look smart. I appreciate all the info.