The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2002, 08:40 PM   #1
Thumper

Need help: .45 Colt Hot n' Mild

Digging this one back up because I just found an immaculate stainless blackhawk for $250.

Did a search and couldn't find exactly what i need.

Weshoot...or anybody that wants to answer... I'm probably gonna use Bullseye. Gonna shoot straight wheelweights out of a (hopefully) .452 cal 255 gr. mold. I know that the Ruger's are a little oversized. In the past, I haven't sized my bullets; just dropped them in a bucket of water and loaded 'em up.

Anyway, I need a hot bear killer, milk-jug-full-of-water exploder (big medicine) and a softer (thinking 850-900 fps) plinking load.

I'm not married to Bullseye, and any pet load is welcome. Try to include whether or not you use magnum primers. That's the info that's been mostly missing in previous posts on this subject.

Also, haven't bought the mold yet, so any recommendations there would be good also. All my other molds are Lee, and they work fine for me.

Thanks, everybody.
Old August 2, 2002, 09:24 PM   #2
jjmorgan64

Probrably gonna want to switch powders, I've never heard of Bullseye giving good magnum level loads in the 45 colt.

I like Unique for the general thumping, and am playing with 2400 right now for magum loads, don't have final results yet, however.

I am a big fan of Lees 255 gr mold, shoots well out of my Vaquero, my Italian, and my winchester all with the tumble lube alox.

Good luck

JM
Old August 2, 2002, 11:15 PM   #3
swifter...

I'm shooting a Lee version of the WFN 255. I use a load from the very bottom of the "Ruger & TC only!" list, 13.0 grains of Blue Dot, lit with a WWLP. I cast with wheelweights and a touch of lino, size to .454 and molyplate, them lube with Lyman's moly bullet lube.
It doesn't stress my 25-5, and gives me about 950 fps from the four-inch tube. Good accuracy. Some recoil, but pretty pleasant to shoot. With your Ruger, you could up the charge by a couple grains -- in cautious increments, and checking a manual to obtain maximums!! -- Or, you could cut back to around 10.0 or 11.0 gr. and have a very soft plinking load. IMHO, Blue Dot is a really good propellant for the .45 Long Colt...

Tom
Old August 2, 2002, 11:33 PM   #4
dfm

WW case
CCI 350 primer
21.5 grns. WW 296
300 grn. LFP slug
Hard roll crimp

Good for 1200+ fps out of a 5" barrel. An elk/bear killer of the first magnitude. Healthy recoil to say the least but manageable with a little practice.

dfm
Old August 3, 2002, 12:13 AM   #5
rob_helms

Light (cowboy) load
Lyman 255gn SWC, 4.7gn IMR 700X, CCI 300, 680 fps

Heavy Load
Lyman 255gn SWC, [POWDER WEIGHT REMOVED BY MODERATOR EDIT] 2400, CCI 350, 1304 fps

Data derived with a 71/2 Blackhawk, Lyman 445244 ( I think thats the right #) cast of wheelweights, water quenched, Sized .454. Both loads very accurate in my revolver.

Sorry--Well above published maximums without cautionary notes. - - -

Johnny Guest
Handloading & Reloading Forum Moderator

Last edited by Johnny Guest; August 3, 2002 at 04:51 AM.
Old August 3, 2002, 06:43 AM   #6
NG Bruce

I posted the below on another forum some time back in June in answer to a question similar to yours;

"I just spent the afternoon (96 degrees! chronographing 10 different loads in two 45 Colt Rugers. I shoot lead bullets in my 5 1/2" barrelled NM Blackhawk and jacketed bullets in my 5 1/2" barrelled Redhawk.

I have modified my Blackhawk to help with heavier loads. It has a Vaquero grip-frame (which is steel instead of aluminum). I also had the throats opened up to .4525, which reduces leading with hotter lead reloads and slightly reduces the pressure of a given load. The fellow I purchased it from had added a white line "V" type rear sight and a gold bead front sight - which helped with point of impact on heavy bullets.

In the Blackhawk I got the following velocities (Chrony at 8' from the muzzle, all 250 grain lead bullets except the SWC which was 255 grains of lead and the Federal Classic at 225 grains of lead);
Win Factory Cowboy loads - 682 fps avg
3-D Factory CAS loads - 688 fps avg
7.0 grains of HP38, CCI300 - 789 fps avg
D-C Ammo (local commercial loader) - 805 fps avg
6.0 grains of TiteGroup, CCI300 - 819 fps avg
Federal Classic Factory (225 lead) - 850 fps avg
18.5 grains of 2400, WLP 255 grain SWC - 1108 fps avg

In the Redhawk I Chronied 3 loads (all jacketed);
Win Factory 225 grn Silvertip-HP, 801 fps avg
Corbon Factory 200 grain HP, 1177 fps avg
25.0 grains of H110, Hornady 250 XTP-HP, FED MAG primer, 1326 fps avg.

On the last load (the Redhawk/Horn 250 XTP load) Hodgdon #27, page 138, lists it as 25.7 start - 26.5 max for Ruger and T/C ONLY! It is a "two handed" load - it would probably knock you in the head if you shot it weak-handed. It is my hunting load for black bear. The last Blackhawk load, the 255 SWC using 18.5 grains of 2400 is a perfect load and balanced to that Blackhawk.

Had a fun day, with two great guns and a great caliber - have fun with it yourself!"

NG Bruce
Old August 3, 2002, 01:42 PM   #7
Redneck2

The usual reply...

if you wanna shoot "heavy", go to http://www.sixgunner.com and read "Dissolving the Myth" by Linebaugh. I used his info and my RUGER/CONTENDER ONLY load is 24.0 of H-110 or WW-296 with a Keith style 255 LSWC and CCI Mag pistol primers. You'll know when this goes off. I've shot 1 1/2" groups at 20 yards and I'm not a great pistol shot.

For "general" use, RUGER ONLY, I use 10.8 of AA5, 255 LSWC and CCI or Winchester primers. This is only slightly hotter than the "old pressure" loads listed by the Accurate Arms manual and way low for their listing for the Ruger, but they shoot great, and don't beat you to death.

Neat thing is that the two above loads shoot real close to the same POA in my Bisley. I have no idea why as the first load is obviously way hotter.

I've used Red Dot, Bulleye, and Unique and they're all a lot dirtier. The "new" powders (AA5, Universal clays, Titegroup, etc) seem to burn cleaner. Unique looks like black powder when you shoot.
Old August 4, 2002, 09:05 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

OKAY (but for safety's sake.....)

Medium load: any case, CCI350 (or Federal, too, but magnum primers NOT required, nor recommended --but I have my reasons), 255g LSWC (Penn Bullets offers a nice one), Redding Profile Crimp die (recommend heavy crimp unless going under 900fps), and some Universal Clays.
Can also try HS6 or W231, and any primer you prefer.

Plenty of data for these powders, so you can be safe, accurate, and reliable IN YOUR GUN.

Heavy loads: W296, magnum primers, heavy crimp, Starline cases, 300g-n-up bullets.

Contact direct for further discussion; 45 Colt can go bad quick
Old August 4, 2002, 08:08 PM   #9
Steve Smith

DO NOT USE MY LOAD UNLESS YOU'RE A COMPLETE IDIOT. MY LOADS ARE ONLY SAFE IN MY GUN, AND THEN ONLY WHEN THE PLANETS ARE IN ALIGNMENT!!!

325 LBT-LFN (or in your case the WFN that you may purchase from Cast Performance)
Starline case
Mag primer
Start at 21 grains of W296 don't top out over 24 for your sake. Anywhere in there will anchor a bear if you can.
Redding profile crimp (thanks, Tim)

You whould wish for the Bisley grip frame...you WILL wish for it after you touch that load off.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 4, 2002, 08:21 PM   #10
WESHOOT2

RIGHT ON, RIGHT ON STEVE!

I been hollered at before................

Welcome.
Old August 5, 2002, 04:18 PM   #11
Alan R

Penn SWC's

Hi Tim -

What is unique about Penn's SWC's? I've shot up a bunch of their Hammerheads but I've always assumed their SWC's were of the generic magma design...like 99% of all commercial cast swc's?

God Bless.
Old August 5, 2002, 07:18 PM   #12
Steve Smith

BTW, Thumper, since you have the Blackhawk "plowshare" grips, you'll find that the gun will limit your top-end loads more than pressure. When your hand feels like it is almost going to break, you're there.

The Bisley frame is much easier to shoot heavy loads with, and is easy to put on your gun. Brownell's sells them.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 5, 2002, 07:30 PM   #13
WESHOOT2

PENN

Their bullets are really nice.
Most impressed.

Redhawk easier still..........
Old August 5, 2002, 09:39 PM   #14
Thumper

Good advice all, boys. Thanks.

I think I bought the wrong dadgum mold, though. It's the Lee R.E.A.L. 250 gr. .452 mold. Thing is, I think it's strictly for blackpowder. Hasn't gotten here yet, so I'm not sure. No excuse, but the Midway online catalogue was a little vague.

Oh well, it's only 17 bucks.
Old August 5, 2002, 10:50 PM   #15
cheygriz

Thumper,

For a general purpose load, there's always the old standby. A Lyman mold 255 Kieth SWC, cast in wheelweights, (or a Rainier plated 250 grainer) Standard large pistol primer, and 8.0 Gr Unique.

BTW, I do load HEAVY .45 Colt loads, and I don't find it necessary to use magnum primers at all. I don't use magnum primers in .357 or .44 max loads either.

Using standard primers requires a small amount of additional powder to achieve max velocity, but in my experience, the loads are more accurate with the stanbdard primers. YMMV
Old August 8, 2002, 03:25 PM   #16
the duck of death

Sreve

This should set your hair on fire:

Cast the 300 gr RCBS rifle bullet out of wheel wts. It will weigh 325 gr. Size it to .454 now do this:

Powder weight removed by moderator--Well above published maximums. H110, RCBS 325 GR, FED 155, R-P cases, use a heavy crimp

This chrono at 1320 in my 4 5/8" Vaquero 45 LC. Before you ask I do shoot the .454 bullet in the .452 barrel.

I also use double gas checks one on the back of the bullet and one cup down over the powder. The one cup down will scrape any lead out ot the barrel as the round is fired.

This is a serious load and should be approached very cautiously.

Last edited by Johnny Guest; August 11, 2002 at 05:09 PM.
Old August 12, 2002, 09:12 AM   #17
the duck of death

Sorry, I will post no more loads over max.
Old August 12, 2002, 09:19 AM   #18
Steve Smith

Duck, FWIW, I've used the same load, minus the double gas checks (I don't get leading with my bullets and lube). I just don't advertise that load.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 12, 2002, 09:31 AM   #19
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Over Max loads - - -

Once again, duck of death, I have no problem with people posting experimental data on this forum, so long as proper cautions are posted with them. This should take the form of BOLD PRINT or at least ALL CAPS notice, something like,

CAUTION: The included hand load information exceeds currently-published MAXIMUM LOADS. It is provided for reference only. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! Neither TFL ownership nor staff assume any liability for damage or injury to persons or gear resulting from use of this information.

Yeah, this is a minor hassle, but a cut-and-paste of the above should provide at least a minimal protection from law suits - - Showing that the writer at least made the effort to protect the user from himself. I have several pet loads that extend well beyond published data, but I assume responsibility only for those which I myself assemble, and which are fired in MY guns. Any other use of that information is just for reference.

Very best regards,
Johnny Guest
H&R Forum moderator
Old August 14, 2002, 08:45 PM   #20
Blackhorse

Been using 10 grains of accurate #5 and 250 grain RNFP Lazer cast bullets. Seems quite accruate through my Rugers and Smiths and Winchester. Pleasant to shoot not hand busters.
Old August 16, 2002, 09:28 PM   #21
WESHOOT2

Blackhorse

Does your AA5 load leave a gritty residue?
Old August 16, 2002, 10:02 PM   #22
Blackhorse

Weshoot2, sometimes yes it does, the only thing I have been able to attribute it to is that I don't get all the media out when I pour the casings into the case feeder, because I don't seem to have that problem when I load on my single stage and feed the casings one at a time.
Old August 17, 2002, 01:48 AM   #23
caz223

I use 11.5 grains of blue dot with a 250 grain precision cast lead flat nose in a bird's head grip sheriff's model, and it is easily shootable in one hand.
The book says 900 FPS with regular primers, but I use magnum primers with blue dot, no matter what, so I don't really know.
Plus the super-short barrel.
It's accurate as all get out, that I know.
Old August 18, 2002, 09:43 AM   #24
WESHOOT2

Blackhorse

When you use the single-stage you are getting a different primer seat and crimp; this accounts for your cleaner loads.

Mebbe.