The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 11, 2006, 06:32 PM   #1
marlboroman84

Best type of holster for 3" XD-9

Allright guys I need advice,help,coaching whatever ya got. I bought a XD sub-compact a few months ago and have been shopping for a good CC holster for it. I picked up an Uncle Mike's Kydex Paddle for it today and while I like it ok for open carry it's not the most comfortable or concealable for my body type. I've got a 31 inch waist and am pretty much stick straight. I've looked at desantis and galco and bianchi for some ideas and kinda like a few of the Yaqui slide and regular leather belt slide holsters, but I was wondering if there is anyone else out there who has a different recommendation. Especially skinny guys. One last thing is it normal even with loosening the retention screws on a kydex holster for the gun to stick a bit at first or do i just need to tighten my belt more? Thanks in advance.~Chuck
Old September 26, 2006, 09:04 PM   #2
full foot notch

i run the Desantis "Tuck-This" holster with my XD40 3" , im a big guy and wear normal Tshirts and it hides and the spandex type area that is sewn onto it allows me to carry my spare mag its meant to be either a SOB or IWB, i wear it IWB on the left side and it does not bother me, i was gonna do smart carry or pager pal, but this is the first and last holster i will buy for it, and i am a man who does not settle for just any holster
Old September 27, 2006, 08:28 AM   #3
marlboroman84

thanks for the reply. I finally decided to give the Desantis mini-slide a try as I prefer OWB. It should be here friday so we'll see how it works out. I gotta go buy me a good belt now.
Old October 3, 2006, 06:15 PM   #4
dairycreek

This is my XD45 in a FIST #43 which can be used for either IWB or OWB carry at the users choice. I have the exact same holster for my XD-9Sc too but don't have any pics yet.

Great, versatile, and effective CCW holster at about $60.00 or so. Works very well for me.

GOOD SHOOTING

Last edited by dairycreek; October 5, 2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old October 5, 2006, 09:07 AM   #5
CDH

Dairycreek,
My XD45 Service is one pistol for I have not yet bought a holster.

So one question I have is: How comfortable is the XD45 to wear IWB?
My feeling is that it might be a little too fat and would be a better OWB pistol under a jacket or sweater.

Also, I like the idea of that #43 you have and how it can be worn either IWB or OWB, but when worn OWB, that clip appears to add quite a bit of a protrusion that sticks further out than you'd want it to, especially when it serves no purpose when worn OWB.
The clip in OWB wear not only adds probably about 3/8" more than you want, but it makes for a very pronounced "bump" that doesn't at all blend in.
So I wonder if it would make more sense to just carry OWB all the time with the dedicated OWB holster without the clip.

Just wondering and looking for free advice.

Carter
Old October 5, 2006, 11:59 AM   #6
dairycreek

CDH

I have not found the XD45 to be a problem for me when worn IWB. I wear it at 4:00 and it functions quite well. I wear my trousers a size larger to accomodate carrying a gun and I don't find the XD to be a great deal different from my 1911. For me it is a very comfortable carry.

As to OWB carry and the extra width of the clip I certainly take your point. I carry OWB so very little that I just don't notice the difference anyway so maybe I am not the one to comment on that.

The holster is a quality piece of workmanship and it holds the XD45 close to my body (either IWB or OWB) which is why I like it. Good luck in whatever choice you end up making.

GOOD SHOOTING