The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 6, 2011, 07:54 AM   #1
jolasa

LeMat Information Needed

So I got myself a Pietta LeMat (9 x .44 cal and 1 x 20 ga. shotgun) from Cabelas.

The Pietta instruction manual is generic, it covers a bunch of Pietta BP revolvers, including the LeMat. But the LeMat instructions are VERY brief.

I need to know how to take this thing apart for cleaning.

Anybody know of good instructions for taking it apart?

JonS
Old September 6, 2011, 02:13 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Excellent ones here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=SY7...sembly&f=false

Jim
Old September 6, 2011, 09:58 PM   #3
Slowhand

Le Mat Information

Well done. James K.

Congratulations to jolosa on is recent purchase. I'd love to have one of Dr. Lemats classics or a replica of one but I've got enough safe queens. The Le Mat is a complex piece of work.

Pietti and Uberti drive me nuts with those generic or abbreviated instructions. So I have had to spend some bucks finding references providing more details on disassembly.

http://books.google.com/books?id=LQa...page&q&f=false

Here’s what Johnny Bates and Mike Cumpston had to say about the Pietta LeMat. Some excellent information. They not only cover disassembly but give an excellent range report. Chapter 24.

David Chicoine is of course the man when it comes to working on these old replicas. I have two of his books.

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/sho...e+Mat+Revolver

Here’s a link to VTI Gun Parts. Bates and Cumpston describe the Pietta Le Mat as being prone to some problems.

http://www.pietta.it/pdf/Manuale_Avancarica_ENG.pdf

Pietta has a PDF Manual that provides some great information on their products. The Le Mat is on Page 50 with a Parts Listing and that’s followed by an Exploded View. Chicoine used it in his books for the Le Mat.

Unfortunately Chicoine does cover disassembly rather well. But just like the manufacturers do the “Reverse the order of disassembly exactly to reassemble the revolver.” always leaves a lot unsaid.

I'd still recommend that anyone considering getting into these replicas of historic revolvers buy a copy of Chicoine's books.
Old September 7, 2011, 07:44 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

Both the Chicoine and Cumpston books are a must have for cap and ball revolver shooters.

The LeMat disassembly is pretty straight forward. If you're not sure about reassembly you can take some photo's as you tear it down. You well need a special driver bit for the hammer spanner nut. The trigger adjust screw is awfully small, be sure and use a correct fitting bit.

I make a three bit set for the LeMat, PM me if interested.
Old September 7, 2011, 05:10 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

LeMat disassembly is really not much different from that of nearly all of those European open-top revolvers of the late 19th century, including pinfires and the little "velo-dog" revolvers (which are not actually "Velo-Dog" unless chambered for the 5.6 Velo-Dog cartridge).

Where Colt pushed the barrel onto the base pin and secured it with a wedge, the European makers screwed the barrel onto the base pin and fixed it in place with a screw or pin into the frame at the bottom. In most revolvers, the base pin is relatively small (1/4 inch or so) but in the LeMat it is the shotgun barrel. Same idea, just a whopping big base pin.

Jim