The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2007, 10:47 AM   #1
chewie70

Precision Bullet 200gn SWC .45acp load data?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew a good starting place to work up a load. I just recently purchased some Precision Bullet coated 200gn SWC for .45acp and am getting conflicting data as far as charge and C.O.L. depending on what manual I use. I will be using Bullseye powder and the minimum grains are 3.8-5.0gn, which to me is a pretty big variation. I would greatly appreciate any info you could share.
Old March 7, 2007, 10:54 AM   #2
rwilson452

That 5.0 load is not really a min charge it was developed as a target load. Somewhere, somehow it started getting listed as a min. load.
Old March 7, 2007, 11:48 AM   #3
chewie70

Hi rwilson and thanks for the response. I think it was you that I was actually going to PM regarding an old post on this subject, but the post was a few years old. I think you had said that you were using 5.0gn of Bullseye for the exact load that I want to use. If so, what was your C.O.L. (if you remember)? I would assume that to maintain proper pessure, it would be somwhere around 1.2xx" for 5.0gn?
Old March 7, 2007, 08:18 PM   #4
rwilson452

I don't remember all I remember is the Bear Creek 200 gr SWC bullet had .1" of shoulder sticking out of the case. It wasn't a pressure issue it was a feed issue.

I'm sure you will find the max load for your bullet is going to be on the order if 5.8-6.0 gr and your a long way from that.
Old March 7, 2007, 08:31 PM   #5
rwilson452

as an after thought. remove the barrel from your pistol and use it as a case guage. when the cartridge is just short enough to fit in the chamber. it's going to be about as good as it gets. The cartridge should fall into battery by itself no force needed.
Old March 8, 2007, 01:02 AM   #6
capbuster

an overall length of 1.245" has worked well for me when using magnus cast 200 grain swc bullets. I also use a Dillon case gage to check all my reloads. When the fire cases come back to my reloading bench, I again use this gage to check cartridge rims. The case is inserted rim first into the gage to check it. If it has become too large, I reject the case for further use. This has helped me to turn out accurate reloads with almost zero cycling problems.
Old March 8, 2007, 08:42 AM   #7
rwilson452

are you checking your cases before or after resizeing?
Old March 8, 2007, 10:53 AM   #8
.45 Vet

(DISCLAIMER) In "my" guns 4grs of Bullseye under a H & G style 200gr SWC is bothe accurate and mild. It also reliably feeds and cycles in my Commander and full size Kimber with factory recoil springs. OAL is right at 1.250" Your length may vary, but using the barrel for a gauge is a sound tip.
Old March 8, 2007, 12:48 PM   #9
capbuster

checking complete rounds with gage. back from the range checking rims before polishing and reloading.
Old March 8, 2007, 01:01 PM   #10
chewie70

Wow!! I leave for a few hours and look what happens. Thanks for sharing everyone.

I check my cases both before and after resizing, but do it randomly and not everyone.

I've just been trying to find a good O.A.L. that will get the pressure up enough to make everything function properly. As much as I love Bullseye, I've had alot of problems with it in the past as far as getting enough recoil to eject. I am always finding myself near the max charge after working up from the minimum or middle of the road to get the gun to cycle correctly. My thought has been, if I can decrease my O.A.L. and create a little more pressure, than maybe I can get things to work flawlessly with a more moderate charge. I may end up switching to a little slower burning powder such as Clays down the road, if I can't get a better consistancy with Bullseye without always being aorund the max charge line.

Secondly, I have always loaded jacketed bullets, so I'm new to lead and know that there are some differences in working up loads so you don't create so much pressure that you develop a leading issue.
Old March 8, 2007, 02:55 PM   #11
rwilson452

one way you can get a bit more push with bullseye is a tighter crimp. If you already are doing a tight crimp, well, this won't work.