The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 14, 2015, 06:59 PM   #1
manowar

Cappers

Aside from the straight line capper, which I find too low-load to bother with, Ted Cash makes his famous snail capper and an oval capper, both holding nearly 100 caps.

Mike Beliveau, of duelist1954 YouTube video fame uses the snail capper with aplomb, and it seems like every cap lines up and snaps right on for him.

I've never seen anyone use the oval on a revolver.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a capper to use with Remington #10 caps on Uberti cap n' ball revolvers?

If so, any tips on how best to use them?
Old June 14, 2015, 10:05 PM   #2
Gunfixr

When i did cas with 1860 colt repros, i used the straight line cappers. They always worked fine for me.

They arent difficult to use, just hold it with a thumb at the capping end, and its like using an extension of your thumb to cap with. I used to follow the small knob at the other end with my pinky finger, moving it up the fingers as i used the caps, with slight pushing pressure. Its a bit of a feel thing, but it didnt take a lot of practice.
Old June 14, 2015, 10:32 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

I use a TDC Revolver (snail) capper with Remington #10 caps. The TDC oval capper is for rifles and single shot pistol and won't work on a revolver.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 14, 2015, 10:59 PM   #4
Hellgate

Here are my cappers. Note that the tips have been modified by grinding away the lips of the steel springs and reshaping the brass portion to remove redundant brass so just the cap support areas are there. This lets you get the capper deeper into the nipple cutouts. I only use the in-line cappers for on the clock reloads. If a cap gets tipped in the snail capper it is more difficult to quickly eject the jammed cap. With an in-line you just shove it out and go on with capping. I just shot in a match were all reloads were on the clock and they worked flawlessly. I'll have to post the pics singly. See next post for bottom view.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CappersTopView.pdf (338.5 KB, 158 views)
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old June 14, 2015, 11:30 PM   #5
Hellgate

Geeze, it took forever to figure out how to resize the image. I couldn't get it to upload. Anyway, zoom in and look closely at the shape of the tips of the inline cappers. My favorite is the long one with the single steel spring. The all brass (springless) ones won't work in the Remington but are OK in the Colt styles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CappersBottomView.JPG (217.2 KB, 79 views)
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old June 15, 2015, 10:20 AM   #6
Pahoo

They should serve you well !!!

Quote:
I use a TDC Revolver (snail) capper with Remington #10 caps. The TDC oval capper is for rifles and single shot pistol and won't work on a revolver.
Pretty much as Fingers has stated. I started out with a "tube" type which pretty much worked on everything, then went to a TC Snail or I think they call it a clear-view when I was active in C&B's. Then on for rifles used a straight-line brass for #11's and musket. Then back to a TDC snail and finally the oval or fish TDC as they look better. The have all served me well. Now then, if you do get a TDC, make use it says so and on one side, it should say; Waunakee, Wisconsin. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 15, 2015, 03:47 PM   #7
Erwan

Good evening manowar,

On a Colt, like everybody, Mike Beliveau can do it easily. But I saw on a video (Youtube) Army Remington that the cylinder was modified for the manipulation with a snail capper or ovale capper: the places of caps had be biggest for the nose of the capper. He show it in preparation of a Remington I saw it one time and he said how and why...

Best regards.

Erwan.

PS: I do it with my little fingers (321 pounds)...

Sorry for wrinting: I'm not american :-/

Edit: right here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=761LH1DhWGU

Last edited by Erwan; June 15, 2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old June 16, 2015, 07:23 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Mike is a good guy, but he also has the benefit of video editing. He does show us things that go wrong, but I'm sure he runs into capping issues like the rest of us mortals.
Old June 16, 2015, 07:35 AM   #9
stubbicatt

Darn. My in line capper with Remington number 10's jams up as though the caps are dimensionally incompatible. I'll attempt to load a cap, and see if the button moves readily. If not, I'll remove the cap out the little loading port, and try another. This is really not OK. I wonder if CCI caps are more dimensionally consistent?

Also seems to take an inordinate amount of pressure on that button to pop the next cap up under that steel spring.

Perhaps the capper itself is dimensionally flawed? I'll look at it again more closely.

Until then, I just use the Mod 1, Mk. 0 index finger to place the cap, and a pencil (eraser end) to seat it.
Old June 16, 2015, 12:14 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

I have had one of Ted's snail cappers for many years. On my '51 Navy it works O.K. and on my Remington Navy . . not so good. I know some folks have relieved the cylinder around the nipples to allow a particular capper to work.

I have also had a couple of Ted's other cappers - one in brass and the other in German Silver. They work very well for capping rifles and pistols (single shot). If you buy one - pay the extra for the German Silver - it's well worth it. With the BP fouling, the brass one gets pretty tarnished and cruddy in short order - the German Silver doesn't.

When I was going to Friendship on a regular basis - it was always a pleasure to stop at Ted's booth and see "what was new". I was having issues with my brass capper one time - stopped by and bought a German Silver one and remarked I was replacing my brass one as I was having problems with it. He told me to drop it off, which I did, and a couple of hours later when I stopped back, he had replaced the spring and had it all tuned up for me - no charge and he wouldn't take anything for it. He's a great gentleman and makes some very nice items.

I had a couple of straight cappers and quickly discarded them - for me - they were more of a pain than a help. My Uberti Navy has a cap groove in the side of the recoil shield and I've learned to lay them in there and just lied forward on to the nipple as was done on the originals.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 16, 2015, 04:59 PM   #11
Hellgate

BB Billy,
Some of my cappers are tighter than others and the Rem#10s can drag. What I do is sort out the caps that hang up and put them in the longer Pedersoli capper that seems to take all sizes. The Rem#10 is just a Rem#11 that is a bit longer to grab a smaller nipple a little farther down the cone. They are the same diameter. The scalloped edges are a bit inconsistent but I sure like how the Rem#10s spread their petals as you seat them for a nice snug (but not hard) fit.
Old June 18, 2015, 10:06 AM   #12
toot44

TDC CAPPERS

I cannot get my TDC oval capper to fit any cap & ball revolver that I have. not enough room for it to fit. is it just me that has this problem?
Old June 18, 2015, 10:18 AM   #13
Pahoo

Try the "Snail" TDC

Quote:
I cannot get my TDC oval capper to fit any cap & ball revolver that I have. not enough room for it to fit. is it just me that has this problem?
I use my oval/fish TDC capper on my SideLocks and the snail,, on my C&B. You may find the snail to be a better fit .....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 18, 2015, 11:48 AM   #14
gwpercle

I have tried all kinds of "cappers"... all of them are a pain, some don't hold the cap and they fall out, others the cap is too large and sticks , some are hard to load, one has a habit of dropping a cap out whenever it wants too.

I just went back to a cap box on my belt, has a little flap and putting them on with my fingers. If the cap is a bit loose I can squeeze it when putting it on.
Gary
Old June 18, 2015, 03:52 PM   #15
swathdiver

The Ted Cash Universal Straight Line Capper was originally made to handle the Remington and CCI #11 caps.

As many subsequently learned, about 1/2 of the Remington #10s in a cap tin would work too.

About two years ago it seems, the design was modified slightly to handle the #10s and all those bought direct by me since then feed them all perfectly well now.
Old June 23, 2015, 10:12 PM   #16
Mike Weber

I use the inline cappers on my Remingtons and a snail capper for my Colts.
A place for firearms enthusiasts to congregate.
Old June 23, 2015, 11:26 PM   #17
manowar

Hellgate - Nice work on your cappers, I can see where you've gotta stick with it and not give up on a particular capper but stick with it until you make sure it does its job right to the end. Good work and good inspiration. Thanks

Reading everybody else's posts about how they have trouble with this capper or that one, I don't want to say it's GOOD to see other folks having trouble with capping their pistols (and/or longarms) like me, but like the old saying goes, "misery loves company"! I'm sure you understand that it's kind of a nice feeling to know I'm not the ONLY one feeling like I got 5 thumbs working these things sometimes. And just like you all, I'll keep trying, and just like Hellgate, I'll try to fix what I can to make these darn things worth all the do re mi they cost!

Last edited by manowar; June 23, 2015 at 11:32 PM.