The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 15, 2012, 08:41 PM   #1
Bob Wright

Pawn Shop goodies.......

Stopped in at a pawn shop today whilst browsing, noticed a Smith & Wesson N-Frame, beautiful nickel, cheap Franzite fake stag grips. Looked like a factory nickel finish until I noticed the Army markings on the butt. This was a M1917 S&W, with a factory letter stating the nickel was NOT factory finish. The letter did state blue finish, wood grips, and sent to Springfield Armory, Springfield, Mass. in Febuary, 1918, if I remember the date correctly.

Bob Wright
Old August 15, 2012, 09:48 PM   #2
respro

congrats

Nice find.
Old August 24, 2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Swamp thang

I'd love to see some pictures it sounds like a thing of beauty
Old August 24, 2012, 11:04 PM   #4
DunRanull

Location: Southern Colorado, where a small working knowledge of southwestern Hispanic culture is considered polite.
I hate to go into my local pawnship. It almost always winds up costing money.
Old August 24, 2012, 11:05 PM   #5
Winchester_73

I don't know if Bob is saying he bought it His post is ambidextrous.
Old August 25, 2012, 12:21 AM   #6
Bill DeShivs

He typed it with both hands?
Which shop-David's?
Old August 25, 2012, 12:19 PM   #7
TennJed

Bill or Bob

I know you both live in Memphis, but if you are ever in Desoto county and just want to browse, I love Dabb's Gun and Pawn in Southaven and Weasel's in Hernando. I have seen many good revolvers show up (espically Ruger SA).
Old August 25, 2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

Actually, I'm in Collierville. We have a very nice shop here- Don's Guns. I am familiar with both the shops you mention. I pretty much have all the guns I want, so I don't shop very often now.
Old August 25, 2012, 03:05 PM   #9
TennJed

Never been to Don's I will have to stop by
Old August 25, 2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

It's on Poplar, next to McDonald's.
Old August 25, 2012, 08:08 PM   #11
Bob Wright

Quote:
. I pretty much have all the guns I want, so I don't shop very often now.

Bob Wright
Old August 25, 2012, 11:07 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

Pretty much! If I find a deal that's too good to be true, I'll buy it.
I can for sure say that I have way more guns than I need!
Old August 26, 2012, 07:38 PM   #13
smee78

The best deal I got at a the local pawn shop lately is a S&W 10mm magazine for $10.

My wife says I have more guns than I need, but when does need have anything to do with it?
Old August 26, 2012, 07:50 PM   #14
sgms

Oh my, what in the world could make you thing need had anything to do with collecting? (and my wife thinks I have way to many also, but has learned not to say anything her collections are far more massive than mine, just wish we collected the same thing.)
Old August 26, 2012, 08:05 PM   #15
Bill DeShivs

If I decide I need another, I would buy it. If I decide I want another, I'll buy it.
But, I'm not looking for anything in particular.
I have more guns than a lot of gun shops.
Old August 27, 2012, 01:44 PM   #16
sarge83

I walked into my local gun/pawn establishment during my lunch hour. It cost me... Ruger Stainless GP100, 3 inch barrel, nice clean barrel, had a CAI import engraving on it. A few minor dings here and there but overall good condition and mechanically excellent. It was a $300 lunch hour. Currently in layaway...
Old August 27, 2012, 04:16 PM   #17
smee78

Man Sarge83, that is a great deal, wish I could find one like that. I be she will polish right up.
Old August 29, 2012, 11:17 AM   #18
LynnTX

Pawn Shop Finds

I live in the Dallas metro area, and am surprised how few Pawns sell firearms in the area. Most pawns in this area don't do it.

I wish there were more used guns available locally.
Old August 29, 2012, 12:03 PM   #19
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnTX View Post
I live in the Dallas metro area, and am surprised how few Pawns sell firearms in the area. Most pawns in this area don't do it.

I wish there were more used guns available locally.
There is one close to my house that has a sign on the door that reads something to the effect of "no firearms bought or sold". I have wondered if this is a personal decision or maybe the owner has trouble getting the proper FFL license. Someone who knows more about licensing might be able to shed more light on the subject. Could some pawn shops just be unable to sell guns? Maybe the owner has a criminal background?
Old August 29, 2012, 12:09 PM   #20
Winchester_73

Quote:
Could some pawn shops just be unable to sell guns? Maybe the owner has a criminal background?
Remember that a license from a state to engage in the pawn business and a FFL are two separate licenses. IIRC a pawn shop, at their discretion can deal in antique firearms since they aren't regulated as firearms despite technically being firearms. They IMO could be choosing not to deal in antiques, but as far as modern firearms, they would need the appropriate license(s) first. Machine guns are yet another class of license. A C&R license does not apply in this situation because that license is for collecting only, not for commerce IE repeated buying and selling with the sole objective of making a livelihood or profit.
Old August 29, 2012, 12:42 PM   #21
Jeff #111

Some of my best finds have come from pawnshops. Especially when it comes to revolvers.
Old August 29, 2012, 04:50 PM   #22
Madcap_Magician

Maybe it's a Southern thing. Here in MN, the best pawn shop gun deal I've seen is a Taurus PT92 in that ugly chrome/gold finish with half the finish gone at the low, low price of MSRP for a brand new Beretta 92FS.
Old August 29, 2012, 05:34 PM   #23
Winchester_73

Quote:
Here in MN, the best pawn shop gun deal I've seen is a Taurus PT92 in that ugly chrome/gold finish with half the finish gone at the low, low price of MSRP for a brand new Beretta 92FS.
Keep looking. Many pawn shops, esp ones I've bought from online don't often know fully what they have. They don't have the time to study guns the way collectors do. I just bought a really good luger from a pawn shop. I paid good money for it, but I also believe they sold it 50% off.
Old August 30, 2012, 08:23 AM   #24
sarge83

you can find great deals in pawn shops and you can get skinned alive as well. Before buying a gun know what the fair market value is or just be in the ballpark. Check the gun over thoroughly and if the price marked is fair pay it but in most cases you can negotiate it down at a pawn shop. Ask them what they will sell it for out the door, meaning no sudden sales tax thrown in. Do this OTD price for any item in the pawn shop.

If they make you a good price buy it. If not counter and see if they accept. The main thing is if you make an offer and they accept it be prepared to take the deal. Also being respectful will usually work to your advantage. Also trying to work with one of two certain sales people will help you in the long run. They know you are a serious buyer and not just a looker. At the current shop I frequent I usually do all my buys through one or two employees for guns. In return many times they will give me first dibs on a new gun before shelving it and have at times called me to let me know they have an interesting specimen if I am interested.

One last thing be prepared to walk and turn down a deal if it is not a good deal. Don't be snarky about it just say sorry maybe next time. If you wait a while and the gun is still on the shelve six or seven months later make them the same offer again, they might take it this time around to move it. Good hunting!
Old August 30, 2012, 09:21 AM   #25
Jeff #111

That is very good advice and accurate. Pawn shops are usually pretty flexible. Sometimes more than a gunshop.