The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 1, 2016, 10:47 AM   #51
RAfiringline

I spray brake cleaner down the bore as a cleaner - and whatever that stuff has in it, I don't want on my skin or in my eyes.

I wear latex gloves and after my AR's muzzle brake directed some back in my face, I started using work glasses.
Old July 1, 2016, 03:33 PM   #52
DaleA

I do not wear gloves.

Wearing gloves is probably a smart thing to do.

I probably won't BUT!!! the comment about contact lenses and the stuff made me think hard. I don't, and most likely never will, wear contact lenses but this is something I WILL tell anybody I taking shooting. That is, I WILL warn them about cleaning chemicals and how some might transfer from their hands to their contact lenses.

Just because I will disregard a danger/irritation doesn't mean I shouldn't tell others about it.

Because of this thread I guess I have been warned.

Thanks.
Old July 1, 2016, 05:00 PM   #53
FITASC

I learned the hard way handling and slicing Haberneros and then touching my contacts. Ghost peppers and others hurt like hell as well; BUT they are not man-made chemicals that can cause permanent damage.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 2, 2016, 09:28 AM   #54
iraiam

Yes

Yes, I wear the 9 mil Nitrile gloves when I clean my guns. and when I reload ammunition. I also wear the Nitrile gloves under thin leather gloves when I cast bullets.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old July 2, 2016, 10:06 AM   #55
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Don't make my living as a gunsmith which I think there may be a need.
Being one who cleans his modern firearms once or twice a year. {>maybe?} My answer to this posed question is: No. I do not wear latex gloves. But my eyes are indeed always covered having to wear common everyday glass's which may be more important than the glove issue due to the harsh chemicals used in barrel cleaning products.
Old July 3, 2016, 08:25 PM   #56
johnwilliamson062

Like McGee, I only clean a couple times a year(I try for 3-4)
I don't clean my Glock after every outing.
I don't clean my .22s after every outing.
I don't shoot anything else all that often.

I have some of the thicker nitrile gloves around, but I usually forget to use them. If i was cleaning weekly or more as some do, I would certainly worry about it more.
Old July 4, 2016, 01:45 AM   #57
turtlehead

Decided to start wearing gloves at the beginning of this year.
Old July 4, 2016, 05:46 AM   #58
Bozz10mm

I never have, but I may start. I just never thought of it until I read this thread.
Old July 6, 2016, 11:43 PM   #59
flyer898

I have a friend who was diagnosed with ALS three years ago and died 6/24 at age 52. The best guess is to how he contracted it is exposure to solvents while working as a mechanic 25 years ago. I have not heretofore worn gloves - you can bet I am going to start. I do not have any evidence supporting cause and effect, but it is such a simple thing, and there are many, many rounds I have not yet sent down range.
Old July 7, 2016, 06:48 AM   #60
Don P

Sorry for your loss.
Quote:
I have a friend who was diagnosed with ALS three years ago and died 6/24 at age 52. The best guess is to how he contracted it is exposure to solvents while working as a mechanic 25 years ago.
My opinion this is far fetched. I was in automotive repair starting in 1968 through 1985, then running my own repair shop , then owning, driving, maintaining 18 wheelers. Working using chemicals, cleaning solvents, being around asbestos from brake shoes, clutch discs and so far so good. My question to you is, what did Lou Gehrig do to contract the disease.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 7, 2016, 07:54 AM   #61
ssn vet

I wear the blue nitrile gloves when I remember, but I often forget.

~1/3 of the times that I do remember, a finger tip will rips and I get solvent and oil on my hands anyways.
Old July 7, 2016, 09:14 AM   #62
overthere

Quote:
I wear the blue nitrile gloves when I remember, but I often forget.

~1/3 of the times that I do remember, a finger tip will rips and I get solvent and oil on my hands anyways.
Try the ones at Sam's Club if you have access to one. By no means impervious to rips but they do hold up well, at least for me.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/simply-...prod6030139.ip
Old July 8, 2016, 02:03 PM   #63
adamBomb

Yes, for three reasons...

1. The chemicals are really bad for you and are absorbed in your skin
2. Oil on my hands/hand prints are not left on the gun
3. Clean up takes a simple hand wash rather than washing them 50x because you have crud in your nails and such.
Old July 10, 2016, 12:34 PM   #64
berettaprofessor

Quote:
he best guess is to how he contracted it is exposure to solvents while working as a mechanic 25 years ag
Wearing gloves while working with solvents is a good idea without question. But I wouldn't worry about ALS...liver cancer, lung cancer, maybe. ALS is inherited in about 5-10% of cases but most cases are random, with NO known risk factors. Besides, its about 3/100000 in causes of death....pretty rare even though we hear about it alot.
Old July 12, 2016, 07:06 PM   #65
FITASC

For those who think it is unnecessary, read the MSDS for the products you use and go from there
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 14, 2016, 01:22 AM   #66
tuleyz

Never have worn gloves but I reach too. It's a good idea
Old July 14, 2016, 11:37 AM   #67
jumpingeezer

YES!
I am a big sissy and I do wear nitrile gloves whenever I use a solvent of any kind.

Almost any solvent will dry out my skin and cause large cracks and fissures in my fingers. I don't like the pain associated with cracked and bleeding fingers, and I don't like to constantly apply hand lotion to counteract those effects.

Nitrile gloves are cheap, effective, available, and give the user reasonable feeling. I see no reason not to use them.
Old July 14, 2016, 11:45 AM   #68
MarkCO

Quote:
you should
the mechanic industry was slow to require protective gear for workers, many have paid the price with their health later in life after absorbing lead, chemicals and solvents through their skin.
I started to last year. I have put boxes of Nitrile gloves in the gun room, and in the garage. I try to use them all the time I am using anything solvent, lacquer, etc.
Old July 19, 2016, 08:25 PM   #69
TheGunGeek

I only shoot lead free as I don't want to expose myself or family to lead. I also use FrogLube, so no gloves needed. I can safely clean my pistols at the kitchen table.
Old July 19, 2016, 08:35 PM   #70
FITASC

If you can drink Frog Lube then don't wear them; but if you can't, then whatever is in there is absorbed into the skin.
Old July 19, 2016, 08:49 PM   #71
TheGunGeek

You can literally eat FrogLube. (Although I haven't.)
Old July 19, 2016, 09:17 PM   #72
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunGeek View Post
I only shoot lead free as I don't want to expose myself or family to lead. I also use FrogLube, so no gloves needed. I can safely clean my pistols at the kitchen table.
The lead is not in the bullet, but the priming compound residual. Cleaning guns on a kitchen table? You have more guts than I ever have, with gloves on or not.

-TL
Old July 19, 2016, 10:44 PM   #73
TheGunGeek

I'm careful to use completely lead-free rounds, including the primer. I also go to a lead free range. Vaporized lead from the primer or bullet are both bad. It costs more but to me, it's worth it.
http://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-100-g...cchi-50-rounds

More information from an article here:
https://www.hendonpub.com/law_and_or..._training_ammo

Last edited by TheGunGeek; July 19, 2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old July 19, 2016, 11:15 PM   #74
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunGeek View Post
I'm careful to use completely lead-free rounds, including the primer. I also go to a lead free range. Vaporized lead from the primer or bullet are both bad. It costs more but to me, it's worth it.
http://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-100-g...cchi-50-rounds
Interesting. It says the projectiles are lead-free, but doesn't say anything about the primers. So I suppose you hand load with lead-free primers? Who makes those? I'm not aware lead-free primers other than the lousy ones from Russia.

What's a lead-free range? I know most indoor ranges don't allow cast bullets. But I haven't seen one that bans leaded primers.

I don't go to indoor ranges at all. I never eat or drink on range. I wear dedicated hat and boots on range, and wash hands and face when done. When I get home I strip in the garage and go straight to the shower. And of course I wear gloves when cleaning or working on firearms.

-TL
Old July 19, 2016, 11:33 PM   #75
TheGunGeek

I updated the prior post with an article which references the lead free primer for this round and others, as well as the risk. Yes that fully lead free range was really hard to find. In fact it's an hour and a half drive from my house. I'm surprised there aren't more around, due to the probable lower operating costs/risks.