The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 28, 2007, 07:08 AM   #1
lincoln1

AimPoint reddot vs EoTech hologram-i need your opinions

i have read plenty of happy reviews of both, they help get the job done. but what is there a real advantage of one over the other? i only have a basic understanding of how optics work , so i'm a bit lost about the technology. any help would be appreciated before i spend $400. - $500.
Old July 28, 2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Martyn4802

Good info by Triggerman.
One question is, what are going to mount the sight on? Pistol, rifle, shotgun?
If a rifle, what rifle?
I have two EOTech sights, and love them. In each sight, I use Lithium AA batteries which last forever, and have great shelf life. When the sight isn't being used, the batteries don't lose their charge.
The EOTech's mount on the Weaver bases, so no problem with mounting on regular rifles. Don't know about pistols or the AR type rifles, but my Son has three EOTech sights, and has a couple on AR 15's and has no problem with that mounting.

Martyn
Old July 28, 2007, 05:18 PM   #3
lincoln1

i will be mounting to a brand new SA socom 16 so i assume mounting isn't an issue for either. mostly i see photos of aimpoints on them. does it boil down to just battery life & built-in lens covers?

i know something about holograms (laserreflections.com owners are friends) but what does it have to do with how the eotech works?
Old July 28, 2007, 05:38 PM   #4
hoytinak

Since the Aimpoint is a cylinder style and the EOTech is mainly a screen I find the Aimpoint better for longer shots while the EOTech is better for quick close shots. However the EOTech reticule is a range estimating reticule. I have used and owned both, both are very good red-dots, but I prefer the EOTech. You really can't go wrong with either one for a good red-dot.
Old July 28, 2007, 11:15 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Not complicated

The Eotech's reticle has a LARGE halo around a small central dot. To me, this has the advantage of the best of both worlds. Quick acquisition with large ring; precise aiming point with small dot. Simply put, Eotech==>Better as a result. Quality of each otherwise on a par.
Old July 28, 2007, 11:56 PM   #6
ShipWreck

There will never be a consensus on this issue. It will really come down to personal preference. I personally love the Eotech - large circle for quick/close use. And, that lovely 1 MOA dot for long range use!
Old July 29, 2007, 12:50 AM   #7
Zak Smith

Aimpoint has way better battery life. It is also much easier to physically manipulate: to turn on / check on. The EOTech has to be looked at to make sure it's on or off.
Old July 29, 2007, 02:07 AM   #8
PPGMD

With the introduction of the CompM4 (the latest version of the M68), Aimpoint's can now uses AA (lithium suggested because of the battery life) and has a battery life of 80,000 hours (8 years constant on) using most settings using a single AA.

Also the CompM4 has a mount built into it.
Old July 29, 2007, 07:35 AM   #9
Martyn4802

Which ever you buy, use Lithium batteries. They cost more up front, but they last so long that they may very well be more cost effective than regular Alkalines in the long run.

Martyn
Old July 29, 2007, 01:25 PM   #10
PPGMD

With an Eotech that you are using on a regular basis I would use normal alkalines because the battery life just isn't long enough to justify lithiums unless it spends a lot of it's time sitting around off.

With the CompM4 Aimpoint I suggest lithium because even if you use it a lot the battery life is 8 years with constant on use for their one AA model. So even if you have it always on the battery life outlasts the battery shelf life (3 years).
Old July 29, 2007, 03:46 PM   #11
c4igrant

The EOTech sits too high on the SOCOM. The Aimpoint with the 10818 mount is the best choice. Also look at the new Micro Aimpoints. Small and lite and come with a mount built in.

C4

ML2 on top and Micro H-1 on bottom

H-1 with LaRue Tactical mount

T-1 mount view
Facebook
Old July 29, 2007, 05:15 PM   #12
glockman19

I just went through thi and decided on the EOTech 512.65 for my AR-15 M4. I'll get a Aimpoint for another rifle and then It won't matter. I do liek the EOTech and have it cowittnessed with my Iron sights and zeroed in at 100 yards.
Old July 29, 2007, 05:58 PM   #13
ShipWreck

The only change that I wish Eotech would do would be to add a dial like the aimpoint, and do away with the arrows.
Old August 9, 2007, 07:08 PM   #14
FJR1300

+ 1 for the EOTech for the reasons already mentioned. Plus, my experience with reddots is that you either get a nice big dot that I then find distracting and that covers too much of the target for paper shooting, or you get a nice small dot that I can't find half the time.

The EOTech really is the best of both worlds, not to mention the ranging possibilities. I haven't noticed any downside yet- except it almost takes the challenge out of shooting! - I said ALMOST
Old August 9, 2007, 11:54 PM   #15
DIXIEDOG

+1 For Eotech

I have an Eotech on my AR and my Benelli slug gun and they are the cats meow. Everybody seems to down the Eotech for battery life as if the 1100 hrs is just not adequate. ??? It's plenty of battery life if you ask me, 2 AA batteries every few months isn't going to break the bank and not many people will even put that many hours on them in a year.
Old August 10, 2007, 01:40 AM   #16
Chris Cullen

Are the EOTech modules ever mounted on pistols? Can't say that I have ever seen that set up. I'm guessing it would be a bit bulky??

Chris C
Old August 10, 2007, 01:46 AM   #17
lincoln1

battery life isn't a problem with me, as if that is the only difference (plus the lens covers), the entire +1 for "this one" vs a +1 for "the other", arguement seems reduced to almost nothing.

i have gas in the car, bottled water in the closet, & Jack Daniels for those moments. batteries i have always - shouldn't you? - that if the storage is out i can raid out of other sources... or rough it with iron sights.

my question was more... when using each, as if in a side by side comparison, what real advantage does one have over the other, if any?

thanks.

i think i have gotten closer to a solution for my needs, too...
Old August 13, 2007, 05:34 PM   #18
DIXIEDOG

"Are the EOTech modules ever mounted on pistols? Can't say that I have ever seen that set up. I'm guessing it would be a bit bulky??

Chris C"

The first Holosight I got was mounted on a Taurus Raging Bull I bought used and it worked excellent. It wasn't an Eotech it was a Bushnell but it is the older generation so the size was slightly larger and with a large handgun it isn't a problem.
Old August 19, 2007, 04:28 PM   #19
PPGMD

Honestly the difference side by side?

The only differences I see if that the Eotech supports a 2d reticle, I am building a semi-auto shotgun and will be using a eotech on that SBS for that reason. The only other difference is the single eye POV, but that's only an issue when usings NVG.

On my rifle I have an Aimpoint because of battery life. There is a huge difference between 1,100 hours vs 10,000-80,000hrs. 1,100 is about a month and a half of constant on use or around 15% of the year. The Aimpoint provides one year to 8 years of constant on use.

Aimpoint OTOH uses medical lithium cells except on the CompM4, whereas Eotech has 3 AA models, 3 lithium medical models, and one 123 powered model.