The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 28, 2016, 04:36 AM   #26
CajunBass

I'm not even sure what it was to tell you the truth, but when I was just turned 21, I remember it as being a Smith & Wesson Model 28, with a 6" barrel. But it was in a wood presentation case, so it probably wasn't a Model 28...it was a .357, so odds are it was a Model 27. This would have been in the early 70's or so. I can still see it in the case at the local GEM store.

Price was (as I remember it) $129.00.

Of course in those days, $129.00 was about the cost of flying to the moon. I had about as much chance of doing that, as I did of buying that gun.

Oh well. I'd have ended up trading it off for something else sooner or later.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old July 28, 2016, 07:08 AM   #27
old bear

Brutus, remember that hindsight is always 20/20.

For me it's not the gun's I've not bought, but the guns I've sold.
First year, 4" S&W Model 66, sold $175.00 Browning H.P. "ring hammer" $135.00, Walther PPSK 9 M/M kertz $125.00. Now the giveaways, Ruger 10/22 and S&W 2" model 10. The M-10 was given to a lady friend to protect herself from a Crazed Ex boyfriend. It took me about 45 days to figure out the Ex boyfriend was not the crazy one. I was afraid to ask for the gun back.
Old July 28, 2016, 04:24 PM   #28
Purple Bikerr

An 8" Colt Anaconda that co-worker wanted to sell for $400 at the turn of the century. All of us passed (about 40 guys) A co-worker did buy it about a year later for the asking price, then did a drill and tap on his workbench.

He REALLY wishes he hadn't done that.
Old July 28, 2016, 04:31 PM   #29
deadcoyote

I ran across a Johnson rifle in a small shop in my home tow a about 8 years back. The original owner was a Marine Raider in the pacific. He had cancer and was selling the rifle as his kids didnt want it. The rifle came with a letter stating he was allowed to keep it, and a book about his unit autographed by him with pictures of him with the rifle in the book. He wanted either $4100 or $4300, can't quite remember. I had a lot of money in the bank and wanted to snatch it up as an investment.... poor choice to pass.

Probably 10 years ago I went to a house on a call for service (as a police officer). The homeowner was a butcher in a very rural mountain community. I was taking a statement from him in the kitchen when I saw a pile of rifles in the corner covered in cobwebs. They were all old .45-70 sharps and Krag rifles. He said as the only butcher in town a lot of folks would offer to pay him in guns when they couldnt afford the fee, and he "didn't like the old stuff, so that's where it goes". He offered to sell me whatever rifles I wanted for $200 each. I had to check with my Sgt. if this was appropriate or not, and he later told me it wasn't an issue. I always meant to go back and find that guy, it was just really far out of my way and I never did.

ADD ON: When my department switched from revolvers to auto pistols I was offered to keep my 4" model 19 for a $150 payroll deduction. I was young and "way too smart" to waste $150 on a model 19.
Old July 28, 2016, 06:19 PM   #30
gwpercle

In 1971 ,I passed up a 1970 , three screw , Ruger Blackhawk in 41 magnum.
I had just seen Dirty Harry , and wanted a 44 magnum and thought the gun sitting in the dealers case was a 44 magnum....when I looked at it and saw it wasn't I foolishly handed it back and passed on the deal.....still regret that one.
Gary
Old July 29, 2016, 09:22 AM   #31
Seven High

I could have picked up a Smith Wesson M66 2.5 inch for $450.00 a couple of years ago. Didn't have the money with me. Went back the next week and it was gone. There is a lesson somewhere.
Old July 29, 2016, 01:20 PM   #32
Don P

Way too many to list or better yet trying to remember. All I can see here in this thread is there are a lot of sore ass's typing replies from all the self kicking going on and mine is very, very, very sore.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 29, 2016, 07:35 PM   #33
jasmith85

Somewhere around 4 or 5 years ago I found a dealer at a gun show selling two Colt Anacondas in great shape complete with pristine boxes for $800 each. I had the cash to buy one but was set on buying a Sig p226 instead.
Old July 29, 2016, 08:16 PM   #34
xandi

I saw some fn hi powers at cabellas a year or too ago I think they were $350
I wanted them but nknew id catch hell from the wife and didn't think it was worth that at the time):
Should have just used the discover card on one
Of coarse that's just the stuff I knew I miss out on
Old July 30, 2016, 02:11 AM   #35
rburch

I have a few.

Around 2012 I passed on a Colt Combat Commander for $750.

I had the chance to buy a CZ75 (not a B) for $400 with a crappy laser bolted to the front of the trigger guard. I thought it was a B model since the guard was covered, and passed on it. But took a pic to see if I could sell the laser to my younger cousin and get my costs lower. By the time I realized it was an older model like I'd been wanting it was gone.

Also bought my CZ PCR over a what looked to be never issued Sig P6 since the Sigs never really fit my hands right. I'm still sure I made the right choice, but really wanted both...
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old August 1, 2016, 02:35 PM   #36
FNS-40

Passed on a nib ruger sr40 for $309 otd.
Old August 2, 2016, 09:23 AM   #37
Hans

Wish I had bought every Mosin Nagant in Russia back when they were $49. Would have made one heck of a profit.
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old August 3, 2016, 10:07 PM   #38
claydoctor

Day before yesterday saw a Browning Hi-Power with some well done custom touches, Novak sights, aftermarket thumb safety for $699 . Really don't need another handgun right now but thought about it all night . Went back yesterday...gone .
Old August 4, 2016, 09:30 PM   #39
littleherb

middle 80s at a gun show in Houston saw a Sendero in 25-06 with bases and rings but no scope. really wanted the combination but for some reason passed on it thinking it would be there when I wandered back. no such luck.
Old August 5, 2016, 01:14 AM   #40
mitchlizard7896

I found a Remington 700 300 win mag with a Leopold scope at a pawn shop in Oregon for 400$ a few years back but they wouldn't sell it to me because I don't live in Oregon. I've run into the same problem in idaho several times. The big chain stores don't care but the small mom and pop stores won't run the background check without a that state ID.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old August 5, 2016, 08:38 AM   #41
RIDE-RED 350r

November, 2010... I was purchasing my first centerfire revolver at my LGS...

I had narrowed it down to two: A brand new 686 with a 6" bbl and a near perfect condition model 57 with a 6.5" bbl. I don't recall whether it was no-dash or a -1 but it doesn't matter. It was an older square butt P&R piece. At the time I was new to handguns and particularly S&Ws and all the things we S&W nuts quibble over as to "desirable" and whatnot. I had my heart set on stainless with a full underlug, but that 57 tempted me. Also, I had never heard of a 41mag at the time and did not reload.

So for those reasons I passed on the 57 and went with the 686. The 686 was a great revolver for me, but as time passed and I learned more and got into reloading I realized the mistake I had made in passing up the 57. And the price was a pinch cheaper than the new 686, about $700 if I recall.

I have since traded the 686 off for something else. Had I picked up the 57, I am certain I would still have it....

Still kicking myself for that decision....
Old August 5, 2016, 10:03 AM   #42
Rob62

H&K MP5 for around $8K.........but I didn't have the money so am not sure that this counts as "passing" it up...... In context I could have taken a loan to make the purchase. But who knew how much these things were going to increase in value.....if I did I would have gotten the loan.
Old August 6, 2016, 07:49 AM   #43
Brutus

Finances always create speed bumps. When the Dan Wesson Monsoon pistol packs came out I really wanted one but already had a .357 so I passed.
Another instance of hindsight regrets.
Old August 6, 2016, 08:10 AM   #44
Catfishman

Winchester '94

I've always sort of liked old 30-30s but not quit enough enough to actually buy one. I grew up deer hunting with my older brother's Marlin.
Then a couple years ago a customer sent his Winchester '94 home with me for repair. I fixed it and decided I had to have one. I liked the smallness and handy size. But mostly I liked fact that there was a time that almost every pickup had one in the back glass.
But after turning down $200 ones in the past I just can't bring myself to pay today's $400 price.
Old August 14, 2016, 03:41 PM   #45
1940izhevsk

I keep seeing a 1905-produced Colt 1902 at the gun shows I've been to. Has original holster, fits really well in my hand. They're asking 3 grand for it, although my socio-economic despairity can't exactly allow that.
Old August 14, 2016, 06:56 PM   #46
Andy Blozinski

A full auto WW II MP-44 with every accessory you could ask for, except the curved barrel and IR sight for $2750. My wife was out of work at the time and I conservatively (and stupidly) said I couldn't justify the expense at the time.
Old August 14, 2016, 07:45 PM   #47
lamarw

Look ahead as opposed to the past. Many are whining for not buying police trade-in S&W Model 10's and police series Colts years ago.

Currently, the market is loaded with LE .40 S&W semi trade-ins at great prices. I suspect many will be sorrow they did not take advantage. These pistols are easily converted to 357 Sig by simply acquiring a barrel.
Old August 15, 2016, 06:18 PM   #48
Ultrastick

Winchester Model 12

This one was a bird in the hand that got away. When I was growing up in the late 50's we were poor as church mice. My older cousin knew I loved hunting and one day called me about a gun I could buy from him. He said it was a Winchester Model 12 I could have for $35 with the stipulation that if I ever sold it, I would have to sell it back to him for the same amount: $35.

I didn't know what a Model 12 was, but it was better than borrowing a gun to go hunting. I went to his house and picked it up. I remember it was a beautiful gun: no scratches or wear anywhere. Strangely, one side of the stock was lighter than the other, like it had sat in a corner forever and sunlight had bleached it out slightly.
I hunting with the gun for 2 or 3 years, then off to college. As usually happens I got to hurting for money, so I told dad to take the gun back and send me the $35.

The gun was still in pristine shape, and I know I could have bought it back from him for the same amount, but working in another state, new family, etc., came along and now it's all a nice memory. Thanks and blessings to my cousin.
Old August 17, 2016, 08:46 AM   #49
pesta2

Quote:
Wish I had bought every Mosin Nagant in Russia back when they were $49. Would have made one heck of a profit.
Isn’t that the truth. I would have liked another crack at all the C&Rs I passed up. Mas-49/56 when they were $100, Mosin Nagant M38 where they were $70, Spanish FR8 $50. Got my Chinese SKS back in the 90s for $99 NIB from Norinco .
Old August 17, 2016, 09:25 AM   #50
T_PRO_Z

I could have bought a colt police edition .38 and a ruger Blackhawk .45lc for 300$... both in mint condition...

it was at an estate sale, but I just had spent all the money I had at the time on the living room set for the wife.