The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Cawnc4

Help with reloading.

Hello, I am new to reloading. To be more specific I have never done it, but I have been all over the internet researching and the like. I have a 1942 carcano that fires 6.5x52mm Carcano ammunition, a glock 19 (9mm), and a remington 870 12 gauge. Most of the presses I have found can reload the pistol and rifle but I have yet to find a press that mentions shotgun shells. I am looking at getting the dillon RL550b (found here)

but on the flipside I am not only looking at dillons, seeing as they are pricy. Could anyone else recommend a press that can reload all of those calibers for less of a price?
Old January 3, 2009, 01:26 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

shotshell reloading and metallic reloading are two seperate beast that require two different presses.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 3, 2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Cawnc4

ok would you recommend reloading for the shotgun or just buying wallmart rounds for the shotgun?
Old January 3, 2009, 01:34 PM   #4
remshooter

Quote:
ok would you recommend reloading for the shotgun or just buying wallmart rounds for the shotgun?
What little I have fooled with reloading shot shells unless you shoot bucket loads its not worth it.
Just like metallic reloading it all comes down to volume/price.
Old January 3, 2009, 01:36 PM   #5
Cawnc4

first off I would like to thank you guys for the info, it was extremly helpful!

second off, what metalic press would you recommend? also I would like one that does multiple steps at a time that way there is less for me to mess up on.
Old January 3, 2009, 01:43 PM   #6
dardascastbullets

Hi Cawn!

You have to assertain how many rounds of metallic cartridge you will be reloading in say a month. If it is a lot (over 200 I would say) then look into a progressive to save yourself some time. For the shotgun reloading, look into the MEC line. I am sure that you will find what you are looking for there: http://www.mecreloaders.com/.
Old January 3, 2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Cawnc4

I just whent to lee presision and they have a new press/kit out.

Can anybody tell me what quality the press taht can be found here is? also what is a bushing and why does it come with 3?

What is the "safety prime"

does this include all of the needed things to resize the case?

I guess a more useful answer would be in the form of a list of all the steps it takes for reloading and telling how well it would handle each task, although I recognize that that is a LOT of work for you guys, if I am asking to much just tell me. (any info you can tell me is helpful)
Old January 3, 2009, 01:56 PM   #8
Cawnc4

as for shotgun reloading I just looked at the MEC reloaders. the 9000H looks sexy and wow it looks nice in use.

unfortunatly it costs half an arm. I was wondering if anybody knows how you control how much powder it puts in the shells?
Old January 3, 2009, 02:37 PM   #9
mkl

I don't reload for shotgun, but I have several friends who used to, and now tell me it just is not worth it. According to them, the price of shotgun reloading components have gone up in price so much that it is actually cheaper to buy new when you find the shells on sale. Also, shotgun shells can only be reloaded a couple of time, whereas metallic can be reloaded up to 20 times or so depending on the cartridge.

The Lee press you linked to is a single stage press, meaning you do the reloading operations (sizing, belling (if required), and bullet seating) one at a time. When using a single stage, one does each operation on a batch (say 50) of cases at a time. Thus you size 50, prime 50, charge 50, and then seat the bullet in 50. In my opinion, a single stage is by far the best choice when you are starting off in reloading. You will learn to understand each operation much better than if you try to master a progressive with everything going on at the same time.

Should you find later that you need a progressive press due to volume demands, you will still have uses for the single stage, so it will not be a lost investment.
Old January 3, 2009, 03:59 PM   #10
Sevens

There are a couple of threads at the top of this forum, one of them will help you to figure out the basics.
Quote:
what metalic press would you recommend? also I would like one that does multiple steps at a time that way there is less for me to mess up on
The opposite is true-- if the machine is doing many things at once, you are much more likely to screw something up. And this isn't a very forgiving hobby... if you screw up your gardening, the tomato plants don't grow. Screw up at the bench and maybe you lose a prized handgun or an eyeball.
And yep, progressive machines ARE expensive.

You would likely be better off starting single stage. You won't produce ammo ANYWHERE near as fast, but you'll understand the entire process more clearly. And the equipment will cost less money, and it's equipment that you can still use for the rest of your life, even if you end up buying a progressive machine at a later date.

In shotgun, Lee offers a press called the "Lee Load-All" that is a single stage shotgun system, and it's dirt cheap. It's slow, but it works. Everything else for loading shotgun is expensive. And yes, I'd agree, you need to shoot like 4+ boxes a week to make it worth the time and expense.
Old January 3, 2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Shoney

Cawnc4

The kit you listed from Lee is certainly good. However, I would strongly recommend the Lee Classic Cast Turret Kit. It is a very big bang for the buck, although I'm not wild about some of Lee's other products, most work very well. The press will easily load 200 quality rounds per hour. It can be adjusted to function as a single stage press to learn the intricacies of each step.
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 3, 2009, 04:49 PM   #12
Cawnc4

Thanks everybody, especially shoney, I have fallen in love with the classic turret press and the price but one thing I still am wondering about is how does the auto disk powder measure know how much to put in each round? also at graf and sons what would the primer of the 6.5x52mm carcano be? small rifle or large rifle?

edit: also because I would be reloading rifle and 9mm ammo would I need both the large and small primer loaders?
Old January 3, 2009, 05:24 PM   #13
Sevens

The auto-disk and other types of tools are called "powder measures" but they really don't "measure" and report-- what they do is to dispense a set volume of powder and they attempt to repeat that same exact volume of powder each time consistently.

The auto-disk is really different than all other measures-- it's not adjustable. There are chambers in each disk of a different size. The tool comes with a chart or some kind of instruction that tells you basically how much each chamber will weigh with each popular powder you put in to it. The double disk is two disks which allow for larger powder charges.

It's not nearly as flexible as a regular "powder measure", but it works and it's much cheaper than most powder measures.
Old January 4, 2009, 03:11 PM   #14
BigJakeJ1s

The nature of your questions leads me to strongly suggest a book like ABCs of Reloading, and a reloading manual or two. Manuals from Lyman, Speer, and Hornady are all good. If you will be using Lee equipment, their reloading manual is pretty good, but the specific cartridge recipes listed in it are all available on the internet for free. If you are not going to use Lee equipment, the excessive hyping of Lee equipment in their manual will get old very fast. If you have a gun shop or sporting goods store that sells reloading stuff, they should have a manual that you can thumb through to see if it has the cartridge you are interested in. Buy it from them, and start up a relationship with them. You can get other equipment on line, but it is always a good idea to buy some stuff from your local proprietor.

Andy
Old January 4, 2009, 03:20 PM   #15
Shoney

Cawnc4
I agree with BigJakeJ1s. Your question on primer size is a clear indicator that you need a Reloading Manual or three. The more, the merrier. However information on this cartridge is not covered in many manuals. Choose the ones that have it listed.

6.5x52mm Carcano or 6.5 Carcano - - - Large Rifle Primer
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 4, 2009, 03:35 PM   #16
Cawnc4

Yea, I am planning on grabing a manual i just havent done so yet

I was looking at a vid for the lee clasic turret and in the description it says that he had already resized, trimmed, chamfered, and swaged the cases. I was wondering what he used to resize trim etc the cases. I thought the first die resized and trimmed the casing. also what is chamfered and swaged?
Old January 4, 2009, 04:16 PM   #17
oneounceload

You can find a MEC 600 series used on ebay for less than $50. The charge bar contains a space for powder and one for shot - by using the correct bushing, (there is a chart), you put them in the charge bar and it will drop the correct charge. You need a manual that lists recipes. I shoot a flat of shells a week, (250), in three different gauges. While not a lot by any means, my volume does justify reloading.
Old January 4, 2009, 04:57 PM   #18
Cawnc4

I am still wondering if the dies that come with the press will also resize the case.

I found out what chamfering is but now I am wondering what powder to use for reloading the 9mm, or what type of powder would work with it. I understand that most of my questions would be answered in a reloading manual but I dont have one yet!
Old January 4, 2009, 05:57 PM   #19
thebees

Beginner reloader

Cawnc4,
The first thing you should do before even looking at equipment is to get a good manual. Some are better for beginners and I usually recommend the Lyman Reloading Handbook. I use a Hornady book now but the Lyman is a little simpler for a new guy.
Reloading can be dangerous for a dumb a?? so don't be one. Use a manual. Do what it says. Ask "experienced" reloaders for advise. Even experienced loaders always use a handbook.
But don't be discouraged, handloading is a great hobby in itself. Figure out a great load for each caliber you want to reload and buy bulk. Quickly, while it's still possible.
Old January 4, 2009, 06:20 PM   #20
oneounceload

Get the ABC's and other manuals from bullet and powder makers - THERE IS NO "JUST GUESSING"......

Read those manuals and then read them again
Old January 4, 2009, 07:13 PM   #21
Cawnc4

Its not like I was planning on getting a shet load of smokeless powder and filling the casings as much as I can then throwing a bullet in the top. Im just trying to get some answers while I try to get a hold of a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawnc4
Yea, I am planning on grabing a manual i just havent done so yet

had you read the whole thread you woulda read that, unless you just skipped over it
Old January 5, 2009, 04:31 AM   #22
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day, this may help a little.
I'm not sure witch of these two you meant, and it looks as if they may have them around the wrong way. I'll try to find out if it is correct.
Sorry, but the pictures did not turn out.

Quote:
6.6.5x52mm Mannlicher-Carcano
Unlike its contemporary 6.5mm military cousins, the 6.5mm Arisaka and the 6.5mm Carcano - the 6.5x54mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer has been a popular sporting cartridge. Prior to WWII, all major U.S. ammunition manufacturers produced loaded ammo in this caliber, and its performance was highly regarded. Despite its earlier popularity, metric calibers have traditionally had an uphill fight in the U.S. marketplace. The 6.5x54mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer became a casualty of that battle, and little was heard about the cartridge until Ruger chambered it in a short run of their Model 77 International bolt actions. At this writing, they are the only domestic arms maker chambering for it. The cartridge was designed in 1900 and adopted by the Greek military in 1903. There is also another version of the Mannlicher-Schoenauer, a rimmed cartridge known as the 6.5x54R or 6.5mm Steyr-Mannlicher. According to Sharpe, the rimmed version was intended for the straight-pull Mannlicher bolt-action rifles, while the rimless case was intended for conventional turning-bolt designs. The 6.5mm family of cartridges has enjoyed a good reputation for deep penetration and reliable killing power. Perhaps the greatest praise for the 6.5x54mm came from the late Elmer Keith, one of the most impassioned big-bore advocates this country has ever produced. In Keith's Rifles for Large Game, he recommends the cartridge for deer and black bear and mentions that it has been used successfully on grizzlies. Reloading for the 6.5x54mm is no more difficult than any other military surplus cartridge. Dies are a catalog item from RCBS and several other U.S. manufacturers. However, handloaders may encounter some difficulty finding brass for the Mannlicher-Schoenauer. U.S. manufacturers have long since discontinued the 6.5x54mm, but both Boxer style unprimed cases and loaded ammunition are still available through RWS, Lapua and Norma.
Copyright © 2003 Sierra Bullets, LLC.
Quote:
6.5x54mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer
The Carcano is yet another WWII veteran introduced to American shooters by returning G.I.s. First adopted in 1891, the 6.5x52mm Mannlicher-Carcano family of rifles represents the oldest and most outdated weapons carried into the war by any major power. Designed at the Italian Government Arsenal at Turin, the Mannlicher-Carcano rifle was loaded with a six-round clip that stayed in the magazine until falling out the bottom when the last round was chambered. Starting in 1938, the Italians began upgrading their infantry weapons to a more powerful 7.35mm cartridge chambered in a slightly revised model of the standard Carcano rifle. Caught in the middle of this conversion at the start of the war, the Italians opted to switch back to the standard 6.5x52mm cartridge. As a result, it continued to serve throughout the war. Action strength is an issue with the Carcano, so some cautions are in order. As originally designed, the rifle was intended to use the 6.5x52mm, a fairly low-pressure cartridge. When used with such loads, the Carcano action is perfectly adequate. It does not, however, have the strength to handle pressures anywhere near as high as the Arisaka, 98 Mauser, 1903 Springfield, or similar actions. When reloading for a Carcano action, these limitations must be kept in mind, and the loads kept fairly mild. This is not a combination to be pushed too hard. Carcanos use a split-bridge receiver, which makes scope mounting somewhat awkward. As originally issued, most models used a non-adjustable, fixed-notch rear sight, a dubious idea on an infantry rifle. These features combine to make the Carcano a suitable rifle for plinking, but somewhat questionable for more serious uses. One interesting feature of the 6.5mm Carcano rifles was the use of a gain twist. This method of rifling starts off with an extremely slow (1x19.25") pitch near the chamber, which gradually becomes quite fast (1x8.25") toward the muzzle.
Copyright © 2003 Sierra Bullets, LLC.

Quote:
85 gr. HP #1700

Cartridge Oal: 2.750

100 gr. HP #1710

Cartridge Oal: 2.800

107 gr. HPBT Match #1715

Cartridge Oal: 2.950

120 gr. HPBT Match #1725

120 gr. SPT #1720

140 gr. HPBT Match #1740

Cartridge Oal: 3.000

140 gr. SBT #1730

142 gr. HPBT Match #1742

Last edited by SKULLANDCROSSBONES65; January 5, 2009 at 04:48 AM.
Old January 8, 2009, 05:06 AM   #23
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day again. I now have an update on the 6.5x52 & 6.5x54 from my previous post. The articles were under the wrong headings. I have managed to get it fixed and added the load data for you.

Quote:
V • RIFLE RELOADING DATA
Test Specifications/
Components
Firearm Used: M38 Carcano Carbine
Barrel Length: 21"
Twist: Gain Twist
Case: Norma
Trim-to Length: 2.055"
Primer: Remington 9 1/2
Remarks:
The Carcano is yet another WWII
veteran introduced to American shooters
by returning G.I.s. First adopted in
1891, the 6.5x52mm Mannlicher-
Carcano family of rifles represents the
oldest and most outdated weapons
carried into the war by any major
power. Designed at the Italian
Government Arsenal at Turin, the Mannlicher-Carcano rifle was loaded with a
six-round clip that stayed in the magazine until falling out the bottom when the
last round was chambered. Starting in 1938, the Italians began upgrading
their infantry weapons to a more powerful 7.35mm cartridge chambered in a
slightly revised model of the standard Carcano rifle. Caught in the middle of
this conversion at the start of the war, the Italians opted to switch back to the
standard 6.5x52mm cartridge. As a result, it continued to serve throughout
the war.
Action strength is an issue with the Carcano, so some cautions are in
order. As originally designed, the rifle was intended to use the 6.5x52mm, a
fairly low-pressure cartridge. When used with such loads, the Carcano action
is perfectly adequate. It does not, however, have the strength to handle pressures
anywhere near as high as the Arisaka, 98 Mauser, 1903 Springfield, or
similar actions. When reloading for a Carcano action, these limitations must
be kept in mind, and the loads kept fairly mild. This is not a combination to be
pushed too hard.
Carcanos use a split-bridge receiver, which makes scope mounting somewhat
awkward. As originally issued, most models used a non-adjustable,
fixed-notch rear sight, a dubious idea on an infantry rifle. These features combine
to make the Carcano a suitable rifle for plinking, but somewhat questionable
for more serious uses.
One interesting feature of the 6.5mm Carcano rifles was the use of a gain
twist. This method of rifling starts off with an extremely slow (1x19.25") pitch
near the chamber, which gradually becomes quite fast (1x8.25") toward the
muzzle.
6.5 x 52mm Mannlicher-Carcano
INDICATES MAXIMUM LOAD – USE CAUTION
LOADS LESS THAN MINIMUM CHARGES SHOWN ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.
RELOADING MANUAL • 5TH EDITION
6.5 x 52mm Mannlicher-Carcano continued
#1700 .264" 85 gr. HP
C.O.A.L. 2.700"
Powder /Velocity 2400 2500 2600 2700 2800
IMR-3031 30.2 32.6 34.9
AA-2495 BR 31.7 33.2 34.8 36.3 37.8
IMR-4895 35.6 36.7 37.8
Viht N135 31.0 32.1 33.2 34.3 35.4
Varget 33.0 34.2 35.4 36.6 37.8
IMR-4064 34.8 36.2 37.5 38.9
IMR-4320 35.5 36.6 37.8 38.9 40.0
H380 37.6 39.1 40.7 42.2
Energy/ft.lbs. 1087 1179 1276 1376 1480
Powder Grains Velocity Ft. lbs.
Accuracy Load IMR-3031 32.6 2500 1179
Hunting Load IMR-4320 38.9 2700 1376
#1710 .264" 100 gr. HP
C.O.A.L 2.750"
#1715 .264" 107 gr. HPBT MatchKing
C.O.A.L 2.900"
Powder /Velocity 2200 2300 2400 2500 2600
IMR-3031 30.1 31.2 32.2 33.3
AA-2495 BR 29.7 31.2 32.8 34.3 35.8
IMR-4895 32.7 33.8 34.8 35.9
Viht N135 27.5 29.0 30.5 32.0 33.5
Varget 30.0 31.1 32.3 33.4 34.5
IMR-4064 33.6 34.7 35.9 37.0
IMR-4320 33.1 34.4 35.7 37.0 38.3
H380 34.7 36.4 38.1 39.8
Energy/ft.lbs. 1074 1174 1279 1388 1501
Accuracy Load IMR-4320 37.0 2500 1388
Hunting Load IMR-4320 37.0 2500 1388
Sierra does not recommend MatchKing bullets for hunting applications.
V • RIFLE RELOADING DATA
#1720 .264" 120 gr. SPT
C.O.A.L. 2.900"
#1725 .264" 120 gr. HPBT MatchKing
C.O.A.L. 2.900"
Powder /Velocity 2100 2200 2300 2400 2500
IMR-3031 27.3 29.0 30.6 32.3
AA-2495 BR 29.7 31.5 33.4 35.2
IMR-4895 30.6 32.0 33.4 34.8
Viht N135 28.7 29.8 31.0 32.1 33.2
Varget 29.3 30.5 31.7 32.8 34.0
IMR-4064 30.5 32.1 33.7 35.3 36.9
IMR-4320 32.1 33.4 34.7 35.9 37.2
H380 32.9 34.5 36.2 37.8 39.4
Energy/ft.lbs. 1175 1289 1409 1535 1665
Accuracy Load IMR-4064 35.3 2400 1535
Hunting Load IMR-4064 36.9 2500 1665
#1730 .264" 140 gr. SBT
C.O.A.L. 2.900"
#1740 .264" 140 gr. HPBT MatchKing
C.O.A.L. 2.900"
#1742 .264" 142 gr. HPBT MatchKing
C.O.A.L. 2.900"
Powder /Velocity 2000 2100 2200 2300 2400
IMR-3031 29.2 30.3 31.4
AA-2495 BR 28.9 31.0 33.1 35.2
IMR-4895 29.5 30.7 32.0 33.2
Viht N135 28.1 29.3 30.5 31.7 32.9
Varget 27.9 29.3 30.7 32.0 33.4
IMR-4064 30.3 31.7 33.1 34.5 35.9
IMR-4320 30.5 31.9 33.3 34.6 36.0
H380 31.4 33.2 35.0 36.8 38.6
Energy/ft.lbs. 1243 1371 1504 1644 1791
Accuracy Load IMR-4064 34.5 2300 1644
Hunting Load H380 38.6 2400 1791
RELOADING MANUAL • 5TH EDITION
#1750 .264" 160 gr. SMP
C.O.A.L. 2.900"
Powder /Velocity 1700 1800 1900 2000
AA-2495 BR 23.7 25.4 27.0
IMR-4895 25.2 26.4 27.7 28.9
Viht N135 24.8 26.2 27.5 28.9
Varget 24.6 26.2 27.7 29.3
IMR-4064 24.8 26.3 27.9 29.4
RE-15 24.7 26.3 27.9 29.5
Energy/ft.lbs. 1243 1371 1504 1644
Accuracy Load Varget 27.7 1900 1504
Hunting Load IMR-4064 29.4 2000 1644
Old January 8, 2009, 08:57 AM   #24
M&P 40

what about the 06

Skull that is some really good data. Do you have any for the 30-06. I am trying to load up some Hornady 110gr FMJ loads with H414 (got it on hand) but I can't seem to find a OAL anywhere. I have seen some around 2.95 but that was with speer fmj bullet and they were not using H414...any help would be appreciated.
Old January 8, 2009, 12:44 PM   #25
kyle663

i second a single stage press

i use an older lee three hole turret press and a single stage lee for just rifle calibers ( i'm more picky about rifle). most of the lee kits come withe a powder measure, scale, primer tool,etc. i agree the ABC's reloading book is a must read for a novice, and a good digital scale is always a plus. most presses, except the higher caliber specific setups, dont come with dies. lee has a good price on they're dies. carbide is better IMO as no lube is needed. enjoy your new hobby, i know i do!