The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 13, 2004, 09:49 PM   #1
vitesse9

Mossberg 500: Enough Gun for Avid SD Shotgunner?

I know this thread probably comes up often in some form or another, but what do you guys think about Mossy 500? I bought mine some time ago b/c it was cheap and I just wanted a SG to throw behind the bedroom door. Never intended to shoot it more than for occasional practice.

Now, I find myself taking it to the range all the time. I'm quickly discovering that a short-barrelled SG may be the best gun to learn to shoot well. I want to spend more time with my SG and shoot it a lot more. So, is the 500 enough gun, or is it a begginers' model that should be traded up whe $ permits?
Old December 14, 2004, 12:11 AM   #2
madmurdoc

Is it enough gun?

That all depends on what you use it for. The 500 has a ton of options as far as barrels and modifications. It can do about anything from slug hunting to skeet in the right setup and it is easy to change configurations. Competition skeet and trap would probably warrant the bump to a good semi or O/U but that is about the only reason you might need more. If you had an 835 you could even run up to the 3.5 inch shells, but I like the fit of the 500 better.

It's a good gun, well worth keeping around and shooting often. If you only have the 18 inch barrel I say grab a 28 inch with screw in chokes for about 100 bucks and you have everything you need.

Michigan Constitution, Declaration of Rights, Sec. 5. "Every person has a right to bear arms for the defense of himself and the state."
Old December 14, 2004, 12:13 AM   #3
madmurdoc

Duplicate post. Sorry computer got jumpy on me.

Michigan Constitution, Declaration of Rights, Sec. 5. "Every person has a right to bear arms for the defense of himself and the state."
Old December 14, 2004, 01:49 AM   #4
AUG

The 500 is enough gun. Shoot it until it breaks and then buy a 870. If it doesn't break keep shooting the 500. I personally feel the Remington 870 is a better shotgun in every way but the Mossy is a good shotgun for most people. Depending on how many rounds are fired when "taking it to the range all the time" you will find out soon enough if the Mossy 500 is durable enough for you.
Old December 14, 2004, 12:39 PM   #5
vitesse9

Aug hit the nail right on the proverbial head. I should have phrased the question differently: is the mossy 500 enough "quality" for someone who wants more than a SG to just throw behind the door. Can I pound the living cr&p out of it at the range and then thow it back behind the door and count on it if it is called on to perforn its original purpose? The Mossy 500 just feels 'cheaper' than the Rem 870 and even the 590. But, that said, it hasn't given me any problems thus far.

Now, where's my Remington catalog because I clearly 'need' a new SG for hunting and skeet?
Old December 14, 2004, 01:01 PM   #6
rogerwilco

The Mossy 500 is plenty of gun for whatever you are hunting. Its a great gun with plenty of add -ons to do whatever you want. I own one, the only problem I have had is the safety button is made of plastic and with alot of use it will wear out. Just send it back to Mossberg and they will fix it for free. The only thing that might be considered...The Mosberg 835 is chambered for 3.5 inch magnum. No big deal in my opinion. The Mossberg 500 is a great value and can get the job done.
Old December 14, 2004, 04:11 PM   #7
vitesse9

Yea, that was my basic concern with the Mossberg 500: seems kind of cheap in ways that guns shouldn't be cheap (e.g. plastic safeties, plasitic trigger guards, alluminum receivers rather than milled steal etc.). Shotguns, by the nature of what they shoot have to take a lot of abuse. I just wondered of the 500 was meant for heavy use.

The best part about this little question I have is now I have an excuse to get her out and really see how much abuse she can take.

Last edited by vitesse9; December 14, 2004 at 04:47 PM.
Old December 14, 2004, 04:39 PM   #8
madmurdoc

Steel options

The Mossies have the options of steel trigger guards, and safety switch in the military model or if you have an old-enough model the safety switch is metal. If you 'need' a new sg for skeet and trap, try a nice Browning or Benelli O/U. JMO

Old December 14, 2004, 04:50 PM   #9
rugerdude

As far as the aluminum receivers go, the receiver isn't receiving all that much stress like semiautos do. I have the maverick 88 which is a cheap version of the 500 and it has yet to give me a single problem.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old December 14, 2004, 07:04 PM   #10
XavierBreath

If you have a Mossberg 500 leveled on me, I'm not going to laugh and say "it's just an old Mossberg."

IMHO the Mossberg 500 is the best home defense gun going. It's only weakness is the plastic safety button. Replace that with steel, and you are set. If you want to doll it up a bit, a lot of stuff is available for it.

http://members.tripod.com/~jth8260/870.html
Old December 15, 2004, 06:03 PM   #11
CaCrusin

Good enoough?

Quote:
Yea, that was my basic concern with the Mossberg 500: seems kind of cheap in ways that guns shouldn't be cheap (e.g. plastic safeties, plasitic trigger guards, alluminum receivers rather than milled steal etc.). Shotguns, by the nature of what they shoot have to take a lot of abuse. I just wondered of the 500 was meant for heavy use.
All Mossberg receivers are made on the same line. The Mossberg 590A1 is Mil-Std and is currently in use "officially" by the army and marines. There are plenty of other shotguns in use, but the Mossberg is official. The Remington vs. Mossberg argument is the same as the Ford vs. Chevy debate. Both work fine and it's all about what you like and can afford. I have several of each. If there is any walking about involved, the lighter Mossberg is my choice.

CaCrusin

www.knoxx.com

Last edited by CaCrusin; December 16, 2004 at 01:44 PM.