The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 30, 2002, 12:08 AM   #1
leftover

Laser Bore Sighters

I've recently seen ads for laser bore sight systems. Several brands and models (don't recall now).

The prices seem reasonable, and on a par with traditional bore sighters.

My question is do they work, and if so, which brand/model has the brightest laser ?

Thanks
Old July 30, 2002, 10:39 AM   #2
Guyon

Sorry I can't help here with specifics. I don't own a bore sighter.

However, that's because the only equipment you need is a steady gun rest or gun vice and your eyeball.

With gun secure, remove bolt. Look down barrel at distant object and center it in barrel. Then without moving gun, align scope's crosshairs on the center of the object.

I'm on paper at 100 every time.

Others here can help you if you just want to spend some cash.
Old July 30, 2002, 12:48 PM   #3
leftover

Yes Guyon, that's the way I do it now.

I used to have a Bushnell boresighter, but found the old eyeball way was better.

Just thought I'd impress the kids by going high tech laser
Old July 30, 2002, 01:02 PM   #4
Hemicuda

yes... the eyeball method works very well on my Mausers, my Patern 17 Enfields, my Savage 110, and my Springfield .22's..

can youplease explain the eyeball method for my Nylon 66's, my SKS, my 10-22, my mini 14, my M1 Garand, my M1a, my Winchester, Marlin, and Henry Lever guns, my Henty AR-7, my Dan Wesson D-44 and all the OTHER guns where I can't sight down the barrel?

I use my Dad's lazer boresighter... (not sure of brand) but I know it works better than trying to shut my eyeball into an enclosed action, without damage...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old July 30, 2002, 04:34 PM   #5
leftover

Good point Hemi. You could always use a dentist's mirror to eyeball the awkward guns you mention, but with such a large gun collection the cost of a laser bore sighter would probably be insignificant anyway
Old July 30, 2002, 04:51 PM   #6
Hemicuda

Problem with a dentists mirror is that it won't fit inside some actions AT ALL, and even when it does, to be ACCURATE with it, it would have to be held ACCURATELY in a vertical manner, and ALSO at an EXACT 45% angle to the bore, so as to get an accurate look down the hole, without any skewing of the view... and there are VERY few actions with room for that!

gun and car collector.
Old July 31, 2002, 01:18 PM   #7
Guyon

Hemicuda, With that many guns, if you're doing a lot of sighting the bore sighter could save you some time. And I agree that the dental mirror ain't always practical. In those situations, I just start close at 25 yards on a poster board (39 cents at Wal-Mart), shoot a three shot group, adjust the scope to the center of the group, and I'm good to go at 100.

But then, I don't have the collection you do, nor am I continually resighting my guns.

Can't you remove the bolt on those lever guns? I eyeballed my Marlin .30-30 just fine with the bolt out.
Old July 31, 2002, 01:27 PM   #8
Guyon

leftover, I wasn't trying to be a wise ass. Just trying to save you some money if you happened to be new to long guns.

Since that's not the case, if I were you, I'd try a search on this forum and on Art of the Rifle. You might also post the same question over in Art of the Rifle. Sorry I can't help with specifics, but I know there are a lot of folks here who can.
Old July 31, 2002, 02:24 PM   #9
Hemicuda

Well, since Dad owns a laser boresighter, I use his...

on the lever guns, yes, I can (and have) removed the bolt assemblies...

but wuth the SKS, M1, M1A, Mini-14, 10-22, Nylon 66's, Remington 870, Dan Wesson revolvers, and MANY others, it is not POSSIBLE to see down the bore, as there is no through opening to be used... in ANY form...

I was just trying to point out that the "look down the bore" doesn't work work very well with quite a few model guns...

I have access to a laser AND a regular boresighter... and both work well... and since a laser boresighter can be had for under 70 bucks now, it is a great tool for ANYONE seriously into rifles... (unless you are only gonna have 1 or 2 long guns, OR only collect Mausers or something like that...)

I wasn't really trying to flame anyone... I was just trying to point out some basic facts...

Like I said originally, I use the "look through the bore" method when I can... it's quicker than bothering with a boresighter, and works just as well... (when you can see through the bore)

gun and car collector.