The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 13, 2014, 03:49 PM   #1
Metal god

Flat top Service rifle build , What carry handle and front sight ?

I'm building a Service rifle for competition from the ground up . the lower is done and all the parts are starting to come in for the upper and I'm about to put it together .

My issue is the front sight and carry handle . I had always planned on using an extra "F" marked front sight I have and a Mil-spec carry handle designed for the "F" marked front sight . I just found out that to build a "proper" Service rifle I need a A2 front sight and A4 carry handle . The reason I was given was the rear sight adjustments will not be accurate if I use the carry handle for a M4 and "F" marked front sight .

My barrel gets delivered Tues and I'd like to put this thing together but I want to do it right . What sights should I use or does it matter as long as the front and rear are on the same plain ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 13, 2014, 06:09 PM   #2
P-990

Are you building this rifle to the rules for NRA and CMP service rifle competition? In that case I believe you do need the fixed A2 front sight and the A4 carry handle. I suspect you could work with an M4 handle, I honestly don't know if there is any actual functional difference.

You will probably want 1/2x1/2 minute elevation/windage clicks, though 1/4x1/4 is very common on the line as well. I'm not sure what you mean by the clicks not "lining up". Nobody at a match is setting their rifle to the "300-yard" mark on their sights and hoping they're in the x-ring at go-time.
Old July 13, 2014, 09:16 PM   #3
Metal god

Yes build is per the rules . I guess I need to reed the rules again . The rifle must be configured the same as an issued rifle . What l don't know is if all 20" issued rifles have the A2 front sight and carry handle to match

As for the clicks , I think the guy means when you sight the rifle in at 25yds you'll be off at 300yds . That does not matter to me because I will be loading my own and not be shooting NATO ammo through the rifle . Therefore my trajectory will never match that of the standard M-16

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 14, 2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Jimro

You can use either an A2 or F marked sight base with an M16A4 configuration upper, as some M16A4s came with F marked front sight bases.

The two match rifles I built for my boys have flat top receivers, NM freefloat tube with A2 style handguards, and an A2 style front sight block. When using a six o'clock hold on a round bull target, the height of the front sight post is going to be "low" compared to a point of aim/point of impact aim such as the battlesight zero most Soldiers are taught to use.

Either way, both front sight bases are legal in A4 configuration unless someone changed the rules on me.

Jimro
Old July 15, 2014, 04:54 AM   #5
cryogenic419

A good carry handle sight for shooting highpower is the Rock River NM one. I believe you need the regular A2 sight so that it works properly
Old July 16, 2014, 12:11 AM   #6
Metal god

Well the barrel arrived and it looks like I can't install a mil-spec "F" marked front sight on it unless I do some mods either to the sight or the barrel . messing with the barrel is a no so maybe the sight .

As you can see there is no area for the pins of the front sight to pass all the way through .

I talked with my step dad ( retired tool maker from Ford ) and it seems I could tap the "F" marked sight and use set screws to hold it on the barrel Or I found this sight online that looks like it does the same thing with out all the work .

http://www.fulton-armory.com/frontsi...swbayolug.aspx

Old July 16, 2014, 06:01 AM   #7
Nathan

Quote:
I talked with my step dad ( retired tool maker from Ford ) and it seems I could tap the "F" marked sight and use set screws to hold it on the barrel Or I found this sight online that looks like it does the same thing with out all the work .
My CLE service rifle was setup like this with an A2 sight base. That allows FR sight gross wind age adjustment.