The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 3, 2010, 01:36 AM   #1
-sro-

coach gun?

Hi all!

I just happened to stumble across the coach gun design while looking around online. I particularly like the Stoeger designs.

I am wondering what these guns are used for practically.

Can you hunt small/ upland game with them?

Are they any good for clay birds?

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Old February 3, 2010, 03:22 AM   #2
10-96

I've got the Supreme model with the screw in chokes. I like it for running around in the sticks- makes for a great truck gun (yotes and skunks, etc). And, I've bagged more than a few dove with it as well. I can't get the hang of shooting clays with short bbls, but I've seen others fair well enough. Oh, and I don't have any reservations at all about using it for HD. It's a good little shotgun for the money, but I thinks the Supremes are the onliest ones with the screw in chokes.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:07 AM   #3
bamaranger

mine

I got a Baikal coach gun, hammerless, twin triggers, extractors only. It HAS got screw in chokes, and I've got a handfull that came w/ the gun. (used).
Mine serves in HD role, loaded w/ 00 reduced recoil, 'cause it kicks like the proverbial mule. I have been known to break it down and carry it on trips, where it is reassembled in "the room" and loaded w/ birdshot.

It is not well regulated and does not throw first bbl to the exact point of aim.
The second bbl does much better. It wears a handmade leather butt cuff that holds 4 rds. It is usually backed by some sort of handgun.

It is short stocked for me, and combined w/ the short bbl, I have a tendency to look over the bbl and not down it, and shoot over things w/ it if I don't concentrate. W/ the IC and Mod chokes, and me plugged in, it is possible to break hand thrown clays.

The cowboy action shooters use these guns a great deal in their sport and I think this is largely the reason for their resurgence.

Mine was bought by a guy looking for an ultra handy, lightweight, repeating turkey gun. When it did not pattern to point of aim w/ the extra-full tubes he sold it to me right.

I saw a Stoger, tactical black 20 ga double today, w/ a under bbl rail for a tac-light, clearly aimed at the HD market.