The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 20, 2010, 10:22 AM   #1
Antique Shooter

Waterfowl Loads

Finished up most of my steel last year, and was wondering what the best brand to buy would be. There are lots available, all with there pros and cons.What do all you experienced waterfowlers use? I will be encountering a variety of species of ducks, along with geese at the same time. I am looking for a 12 gauge 3inch shell. Thanks for all your help, Antique Shooter
Old August 20, 2010, 12:13 PM   #2
jhog1

I have had good luck with Kent Faststeel I shoot mostly 3" I'm thinking about ordering a flat of Remington Hevi steel this year
Old August 24, 2010, 08:15 AM   #3
wpcexpert

I've also been shooting Kent Fast steel. I like shooting #1's if I can get it. I'll also shoot BB over #2's. It's cheap and performs well. If you have the $$$ you can go for the Black Cloud. But honestly, I don't shoot well enough to tell the difference. I mean I can knock them down, but I can't shoot like the Duckmen. Those boys can flat kill'em.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old August 24, 2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Smokey Joe

Waterfowl...

Antique Shooter--I hunted ducks & geese back in the lead-shot days. Geese especially, need to be hit hard to reliably bring 'em down, and lead, being relatively heavy, retains more of its inertia for longer, resulting in greater impact on the goose (provided of course that you do your part in shooting well!)

Steel, being relatively lighter, slows down quicker--that is, it loses inertia faster, therefore hits the goose less hard.

For this reason, I favor hevi-shot or similar over steel. It has the same (or even greater) heft as lead, thus giving me back that hard hit to knock down the big Canadas.

I know that hevi-shot is more expensive than steel. How much $$ do you waste on a new duck boat, new waders, a new Labrador, etc, etc, compared to how much $$ you put into this years' ammo--and then you lose geese because of cheaping up on the ammo?? Not me!!

BTW, it helps to get to the trap range and do some practicing pre-season--and you can use cheap trap loads for that.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; August 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old August 24, 2010, 12:55 PM   #5
nathaniel

I got a box of black cloud from my brother this past season I fell in love with this stuff. It puts stuff down and it puts them down HARD. I buy a case of steel and use them for everything (ie waterfowl and pheasant). This year instead of buying the cheap stuff I'm gonna get the good stuff.
Old August 24, 2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Buzzcook

When I started hunting, I'd just ask the guy behind the counter for a box of duck shot or goose shot. Usually that'd be either Federal or Remington, depending on what was on sale.

Last time I went goose hunting I used Remington steel shot. That was several years ago.
Old August 24, 2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Antique Shooter

Thanks for your opinions guys. Went to Bass Pro the other day, and got some Winchester Xpert 3 inchers in 3 shot for ducks,and BB for geese. Have to pattern it and see how it does.

Yes, Smokey I'm usually at the traps every monday evening.

Thanks again, Antique Shooter
Old August 25, 2010, 07:56 AM   #8
jhog1

Dicks Sporting goods has Winchester Xpert 3" in 4 pks or 3 1/2" 3pks for $39.98. I went down to get some and came back with 4 boxes of Black Cloud 3" #2 they were 19.99. , I have a bunch of fasteel left so I don't really need a lot, so I thought I'd give it a try